Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-24-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Rob GTO

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
What kind of trim restorer do you use for ZL1 body kit?

What do you guys use to make the non painted body kit trim look nice and shiny.....and last longer then one wash
Rob GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I use CeraTrim. Last a while, but can also attract dirt. Dirt sprays off pretty easy. Lasts several washes.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
cerakote but you must have it clean and dry first. It reminds me of a wipe on clearcoat. Water dripping down on it before it's dry is a huge problem also. Done right it's great.
For a more foolproof but shorter protection I like Griots garage green spray wax which is also great on the car.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob GTO View Post
What do you guys use to make the non painted body kit trim look nice and shiny.....and last longer then one wash
Adams VRT, you can also use 303 protectant but it’s more for rubber seals.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #5
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
I use 303 Protectant and it does well with a dark color and sheen.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
MontanaFlyFisher

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I've used Meguiars Back to Black on other vehicles before with decent results.

The best permanent solution IMO is to remove the trim & have it painted. Thankfully not that much work on these cars.
2004 CTSV - GONE
2002 Z28 - GONE
MontanaFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

ceramic vs maquirs

I have that ceramic that cost me 5 times as much. This looks like an exact knockoff by the packaging. I know it was a ripoff price on the "original" which just was different packaging on someone elses product for sure.
My cerakote results were similar to this ceramic without doing a side by side test. I like the ceramic on my scratched DD cars. I don't trust it on a brand new car and am going with traditional wax on those in case this ruins the paint over the long haul. On the plastic trim I might start with either cerakote or ceramic
I don't disagree with UV protectant especially like the dash but you won't get the long lasting results, need to keep applying. I like the more permanent products on hard plastics of door panels also.

Last edited by silversleeper; 08-31-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #8
Rob GTO

Messed around with cerakote, the front grill was a pain and took some time, overall looks way better, hard not tonget smudges on the big front flat lower lip section, went over the wiper blade arms also to give them a nice shingle. Didn't do the window trim, heard this stuff doesn't work with it well
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

^looks great. Wheels look great too. I don't like it on painted trim. I'd suggest just the wax you use on your car for that. Other products leave smears and look bad on painted black trim. Bare plastic I think you found the winner. I put it on painted wiper arms too because they are replaceable and look good for a time but after a long period it gets weird on the painted portion of arms. Sometimes it can just be redone but I'd go with wax on the painted portion if a person hasn't already done the cerakote on it.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #10
Rob GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
^looks great. Wheels look great too. I don't like it on painted trim. I'd suggest just the wax you use on your car for that. Other products leave smears and look bad on painted black trim. Bare plastic I think you found the winner. I put it on painted wiper arms too because they are replaceable and look good for a time but after a long period it gets weird on the painted portion of arms. Sometimes it can just be redone but I'd go with wax on the painted portion if a person hasn't already done the cerakote on it.
I figured if it damages the arms I can always take them off and repaint them, but looks good so far, much better

Car looks great for 66k miles it has, but the problem I have with the wheels is that the car is from Dayton Beach, so it does have some pitting in them, I assume from the ocean humid air. I am thinking of redoing them in lighter gray color

Last edited by Rob GTO; 09-22-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #11
HawkeyeZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1156, 2003 Silverado SS
I did the cerakote in the spring and it still looks great today. Good stuff.
2012 ZL1 #1156, born 5/8/2012. Rotofab cold air intake, Elite Engineering catch can, Texas Speed Long tube headers with off road connections and of course a tune by DynoSteve.
HawkeyeZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:02 AM   #12
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
A little off topic but perhaps useful information. For years I have been using Kroil to make rubber parts look new again. It doesn't leave a sheen and parts like hoses and grommets stay looking new for years. Not sure I would use it on my ZL1 but I have used it on my MV Agusta without regret.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #13
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I use Adams VRT or Back to black. I don't see much rain (unless caught on a trip) but it seems to hold up pretty well.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:34 AM   #14
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Just something I came across. Have no clue on results.
Says it’s permanent.

Lithium Autocare