Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
why get an rs package on the 2ss?

Hey guys, this is my 2nd post here. I've constantly been on this site, and finally decided to join! i've been missing out...until now. I've been wondering why bother getting the rs package if you're already getting the 2ss?

RS package consists of:
20-inch Midnight Silver painted aluminum wheels
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Body-color roof ditch molding
Rear spoiler (1LT and 2LT models)
RS unique taillamps
RS badging

So the only thing i want is the HID lights. Both 1ss and 2ss come with 20's, 2ss has a rear spoiler, and it's got ss badging...... so why pay $1200 for different colored wheels(slightly different), HIDs, and badging?

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or missing something here, but this is my understanding of adding an rs pack to a 2ss.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
you are correct that is all you get, but the car looks better with the colored roof ditch molding and the HID lights
Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
'punter, you are fast!

If you don't want:

High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and RS unique taillamps

Do not order RS on SS.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #4
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
Hey guys, this is my 2nd post here. I've constantly been on this site, and finally decided to join! i've been missing out...until now. I've been wondering why bother getting the rs package if you're already getting the 2ss?

RS package consists of:
20-inch Midnight Silver painted aluminum wheels
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Body-color roof ditch molding
Rear spoiler (1LT and 2LT models)
RS unique taillamps
RS badging

So the only thing i want is the HID lights. Both 1ss and 2ss come with 20's, 2ss has a rear spoiler, and it's got ss badging...... so why pay $1200 for different colored wheels(slightly different), HIDs, and badging?

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or missing something here, but this is my understanding of adding an rs pack to a 2ss.
You're right, most of it is for aesthetic reasons. for me I am ordering a black 2SS and I think the wheels would match better and the body color molding would make it look cleaner. I had a 300C prior, I already had HID lights and I like the look of halo lights so when they finally came available for the 300C I ordered them and put them in let me tell you it was a pain. I like the look of the HID lights and the halo lights around them and I would rather fork out the extra 1200 to have them as well as the other small but significant detailing than to do them aftermarket again.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
LS3SSRS

damn, you are fast! lol what is the roof ditch molding anyways?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

Quote:
you know, i wanna know what the *BLEEP* that is too
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
headpunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
you know, i wanna know what the *BLEEP* that is too

meet this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=molding
Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Quote:
Thats the molding that runs the length on both sides of the roof where the water runs off to either the front window or rear quarter panel. I am assuming that if you do not order the RS package then it would be a flat black like most other trim now days.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
LS3SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
thank you headpunter! i guess i'm for sure getting the rs package now. it looks sooooo nice with it painted....not to mention easier to wax...i hate trying to not get wax on rubber moulding.... unless you use ice wax i guess....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question

thanks for the info Head, i guess if i EVER get the Camaro I will probably be getting the LT and I can always have those moldings painted body color I have a friend who owns and runs a body shop that does newer cars. I wonder if you could order the "HALO" lights from the dealer and swap them out? I know you can get the console gauges which I would be SO getting.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
headpunter

Quote:
thanks for the info Head, i guess if i EVER get the Camaro I will probably be getting the LT and I can always have those moldings painted body color I have a friend who owns and runs a body shop that does newer cars. I wonder if you could order the "HALO" lights from the dealer and swap them out? I know you can get the console gauges which I would be SO getting.
they can be hard to get painted since they are rubber, i beleive the RS cars are using some sort hard outside layer to be painted as opposed to straight rubber. that way they can get the glossy color on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
they can be hard to get painted since they are rubber, i beleive the RS cars are using some sort hard outside layer to be painted as opposed to straight rubber. that way they can get the glossy color on it.
My '04 Expedition has them painted from the factory and it's the only place on the entire truck where the paint is cracking. There is no hard outside layer that I can tell (except for the paint and clearcoat itself), it's just black paint on top of the rubber. Cheap. Good thing that's 6 feet up and no one but me ever sees it.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
My '04 Expedition has them painted from the factory and it's the only place on the entire truck where the paint is cracking. There is no hard outside layer that I can tell (except for the paint and clearcoat itself), it's just black paint on top of the rubber. Cheap. Good thing that's 6 feet up and no one but me ever sees it.
i cant say for sure but i did tap them and they didnt seem soft like my trucks ditch molding...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
It wasn't until I tapped the roof and then the ditch moulding with a key that I realized they had just painted over the rubber. The paint itself is pretty hard but it was the dull sound of the key tapping that gave it away.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
quick question when they say rs badging do they mean the actully "RS" badge on the car in replacment of the SS.in the pics it looks like the original SS badge filled insde with white is now filled with red. so technicly ur not getting rs badging ur getting red filled ss badging lol.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's all about the lights. That's the primary reason to get the RS package at all. You could make an argument that the RS is only viable for the LT. That's why there is a substantial price difference between the V8 and V6 RS packages.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Yes, the HIDs and the halos make the RS package worth every penny to me.

Just the halos alone would make it worth half the $1200. Halos are friggin sweet, I've loved them since BMW first started making them a few years ago.

But HIDs move the Camaro up a notch. Classy, elegant, clean bright and full light. To be honest I was a bit pleasantly surprised when the rumors started swirling that HIDs would be offered on the Camaro.

This is not your father's Camaro
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
LS3SSRS

i thought HID's would come standard. but what do i know.... i just got a hid kit for my silverado and the difference is amazing
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
hayabusa1300
Account Suspended

Drives: jimmy 2000
im thinking about going with the rs package, now that you can swap out the wheels for the polished ones. this would bo on

lt2
cyber grey
floor mats
polished wheels
rs package
engine heater

i figure about 29 + tax

not sure on the stripes yet.... what color would you guys says goes best with the cyber grey.

should be ordering soon i waited to long as it is.
hayabusa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
the roof ditch molding on my 5 series is painted and not rubber. If it's painted rubber...I'm laying spike strips out for the black suburbans.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Question??? anybody know if you can keep the standerd 2ss wheels when ordering the rs pack .I think hey would look better on a black car than the ms wheels.(just my opinion)
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
SS-LS3

Drives: SS-LS2
Quote:
probably could but I'm sure it would cost a lot of $$$$ maybe even more than the RS package.... you will have to get the headlight ass'y the electronics that run the HID's and don't forget the HID bulbs as starters....

most HID light assy's from the GM dealers are BIG BUCKS (cadillac, corvette, etc.)
SS-LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Also...remember when you talk about what already comes on the 2SS, the RS package decreases in price based on what model you're ordering it for in order to compensate for the existing standard eqpt. The HID lights and matching ditch moulding are well worth the effort.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
My dealer told me that these headlights alone were $500 each!!!! I didn't do my own investigation b/c I wanted the RS package anyway, but if that's true, you'd be crazy not to get the entire RS package
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
Also...remember when you talk about what already comes on the 2SS, the RS package decreases in price based on what model you're ordering it for in order to compensate for the existing standard eqpt. The HID lights and matching ditch moulding are well worth the effort.
Are you sure? I don't think it does decrease the price, but that sure would be nice!!!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote