Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
hatter69
 
Drives: 2010 LT1 Black Vin 366
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ortonville, MI
Posts: 3
Programming Key FOB

Key Fob Fix
Misplaced one of my keys and never found it. Ordered a new one ($50). Dealer wanted 1 hour labor ($50) to reprogram or sync the buttons to my car. Found the below fix online and 2 minutes time I was done!


April 15th, 2010 at 4:33 pm, Andrew Hughes Says:
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel(CENTER FOR US CAMARO OWNERS)-continue to hold
down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
mode.

Hatter69 2010 LT1 Black #366
hatter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,357
or you can put one of your origional keys in the ignition and turn to the on position, then remove it, put your new unprogrammed key in the same ignition and turn it to the on position and wait to hear it beep and display "third key remembered" or some thing like that on the center display. that is how I programmed my ordered key. works just like the one that came with my car.
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Danprh427
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 315
1hr labor at a dealership comes out to 160 dollars so $50 isnt that bad if you really couldnt figure it out as a tech it take me like 10 min and i rather just do it for the person or their salesmen if i like them.
Danprh427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
GQ4Life


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fishkill, NY
Posts: 5,211
In case my dealer tries to charge too much where can I buy key fob online?
__________________
C7 Stingray ordered 6-7-13 (RCHT2P) 3300 status
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
thiggin2
 
thiggin2's Avatar
 
Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
In case my dealer tries to charge too much where can I buy key fob online?
www.gmpartsdirect.com
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
mike.nite
 
mike.nite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY (USA) ZH (Switzerland)
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
In case my dealer tries to charge too much where can I buy key fob online?

I would also like to know this. + where can I place a order for laser cutting online?
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
GQ4Life


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fishkill, NY
Posts: 5,211
Thank u guy. This has got to be the best forum. Sorry for writing in so many threads I was nervous & pissed.
__________________
C7 Stingray ordered 6-7-13 (RCHT2P) 3300 status
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
mojojojo7176
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tx
Posts: 33
Ok so a little off topic...But I read somewhere that someone had bought a used key fob on ebay and was able to reprogram it. So my question is do all of our keys come cut the same ?
Hatter69 when you ordered the other key fob, did you do it from a dealership so it came cut already or what ?
Sorry for being confused on the matter.
mojojojo7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
hatter69
 
Drives: 2010 LT1 Black Vin 366
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ortonville, MI
Posts: 3
I went to a Chevrolet Dealer ordered a new key. I was told that it had to be cut at the parts warehouse.
It came fre-cut.
hatter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
HondaEx
 
HondaEx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
or you can put one of your origional keys in the ignition and turn to the on position, then remove it, put your new unprogrammed key in the same ignition and turn it to the on position and wait to hear it beep and display "third key remembered" or some thing like that on the center display. that is how I programmed my ordered key. works just like the one that came with my car.
Thanks, took me 30 seconds.
HondaEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaEx View Post
Thanks, took me 30 seconds.
your welcome dude, glad I could help
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
gamarule
 
Drives: 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: california
Posts: 4
Smile Quick question

I have lost the only key i had and contacted the dealer to get another one, they are charging me $43 for the key and $125 for programing, and on top i have to tow the car to them so thats another 75, can i use this method to program my key my self or do i have to have the original key to do it this way? i dont want to pay $200 for towing and programing,

Thanks a lot for your help in advanced!!
gamarule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
or you can put one of your origional keys in the ignition and turn to the on position, then remove it, put your new unprogrammed key in the same ignition and turn it to the on position and wait to hear it beep and display "third key remembered" or some thing like that on the center display. that is how I programmed my ordered key. works just like the one that came with my car.
This worked. Took 10 secs ..maybe less.

A few web site have the keyfob for around $46. Got mine 3 days and did this last night. Got the key laser cut at a dealer for $20.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
oswego16
2012 2LT Convertible
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convert Blk/Blk/Inferno
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 108
OMG - so long story short my 2012 2LT RS Vert needed a new body control module. My key was fine. Wife takes the car today - my key in ignition, get's where she's going, get back grabs her key out of her purse - car won't start, 5 year old daughter crying "make it stop mommy, crowded shopping center, finally finds my keys drives home. Delicately, lets me know something is wrong with my car.

I knew immediately because had the same problem last year when the BCM went on our Tahoe.

Tried the first solution on this post - no avail.

The second - yup 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help.
oswego16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatter69 View Post
Key Fob Fix
Misplaced one of my keys and never found it. Ordered a new one ($50). Dealer wanted 1 hour labor ($50) to reprogram or sync the buttons to my car. Found the below fix online and 2 minutes time I was done!


April 15th, 2010 at 4:33 pm, Andrew Hughes Says:
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel(CENTER FOR US CAMARO OWNERS)-continue to hold
down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
mode.

Hatter69 2010 LT1 Black #366
This is a general way to reprogram keys. Does not work in the camaro. Easiest way to find out how to program a key fob is to read the manual.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
In case my dealer tries to charge too much where can I buy key fob online?
I would also like to know this. + where can I place a order for laser cutting online?
They come precut, when you order you give them your VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo7176 View Post
Ok so a little off topic...But I read somewhere that someone had bought a used key fob on ebay and was able to reprogram it. So my question is do all of our keys come cut the same ?
Hatter69 when you ordered the other key fob, did you do it from a dealership so it came cut already or what ?
Sorry for being confused on the matter.
No the keys are not cut the same, when you buy them they come precut. You supply them with your VIN.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,547
There are dealers than can cut the key for you. I had mine cut for 20 bux. Took them like 5 minutes.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,601
Glad to see everything worked our for you owsego. If anyone else is having issues with their keys let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,243
Jeff, I have a little bit of a different quandary. My 2010 was purchased as a repossession and only came with one key. I was able to order the new fob / laser cut key without any problems and my sales rep at the dealership I've been working with reprogrammed the new fob. I know, so whats the problem. I verified through the originating dealer that car was delivered with two fobs but am worried that the original owner still has that fob. What can I do to ensure the car cannot be accessed by that missing fob?
__________________

Last edited by WiSSDiver; 10-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
This worked. Took 10 secs ..maybe less.

A few web site have the keyfob for around $46. Got mine 3 days and did this last night. Got the key laser cut at a dealer for $20.
yep, no problem Rogan, glad it workded and saved you a few dollars
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
yep, no problem Rogan, glad it workded and saved you a few dollars
dollars saved are like dollars made.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
jshaf


 
jshaf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Masontown, WV
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
dollars saved are like dollars made.
always looking for a way to get what I want as least expensive as I can, always a new mod around the corner so you gotta stretch that budget
__________________
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
carls2010
 
carls2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: oswego, ny
Posts: 218
yes, i have a spare key/fob from my R/S, And tried to see if i could at least get fob programed..--guess dealer can only do ??????????????? and no dealer here in NY I FOUND YET TO CUT A NEW ONE.--- ????????? IS There any updates if we can program our pods ourselfs ??????
carls2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by carls2010 View Post
yes, i have a spare key/fob from my R/S, And tried to see if i could at least get fob programed..--guess dealer can only do ??????????????? and no dealer here in NY I FOUND YET TO CUT A NEW ONE.--- ????????? IS There any updates if we can program our pods ourselfs ??????
I had got a new key fob for 40 something online shipped and programmed it with the methods in here. Then got the key cut from a dealer for 10 or 20 bux...can't remember exactly.

I did something similar for my C5 Corvette and Explorer. I think you are doing something wrong if you can't get it programmed.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
carls2010
 
carls2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: oswego, ny
Posts: 218
I DID THE PROCEDURE OF .-Doors closed.,,key in [off] ,, held down unlock button on center of dash,then very quick turned key --on/off/on/off.--reliesed the unlock button[dash]------------ tho;s instruction said veh, would then lock then unlock the door's,,automaticaly, ---Then to hold down lock and unlock on remote at same time for say up to 30 sec's . then repeat for each additional pod i may have.--- WHen i get to the release unlock button the doors do not cycle thru from lock to lock ???? tried about 20 times and got no where, and did the key on and off fast as possable
carls2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Rogan
No Pain No Gain
 
Rogan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SFL
Posts: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by carls2010 View Post
I DID THE PROCEDURE OF .-Doors closed.,,key in [off] ,, held down unlock button on center of dash,then very quick turned key --on/off/on/off.--reliesed the unlock button[dash]------------ tho;s instruction said veh, would then lock then unlock the door's,,automaticaly, ---Then to hold down lock and unlock on remote at same time for say up to 30 sec's . then repeat for each additional pod i may have.--- WHen i get to the release unlock button the doors do not cycle thru from lock to lock ???? tried about 20 times and got no where, and did the key on and off fast as possable
hmmmmm...sounds like something is wrong with the fob. Do you have new batteries?
__________________
2010 2SS/RS/L99 - Headers/CAI/SWAYs/CoilOvers/Tune/Steel Braided Brake Lines/Frozen Slotted Rotors
Rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote Start System Installation – Need Assistance Railcar Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 27 12-09-2013 04:51 PM
Key Fob Mod LED - My First Mod... Buhmblbe Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 15 12-07-2010 05:23 PM
Remote Key Fob Design Fault GNVenom Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 54 06-01-2010 10:42 PM
Key fob reprogramable? Jason@JacFab 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 9 05-18-2010 07:07 PM
Problem with Key Fob anyone? ffrcobra_65 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 8 12-12-2009 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.