Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New PB, but still looking for that 11 sec ET (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556928)

zlathim 06-21-2019 09:44 PM

New PB, but still looking for that 11 sec ET

I went 12.073 @ 115.68 mph today. The DA was at 3,300 ft, IIRC.

Here is the slip. Sorry, no video.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/10c2f1ed...s1ai3t_540.jpg

I want to run an 11 so bad I can taste it. I keep going just a little bit faster every time we get decent air, so hoping it happens soon. In the summer we run in DAs above 4k feet regularly. Today wasn't too bad.

The track posted this picture on their FB page, so I got that going for me!!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6c9ec1bc...y9no1_1280.jpg

go_go_gadget88 06-22-2019 01:10 AM

Nice! I went to the strip for the first time ever today. My best mph was literally identical to yours, but I was 1.5 seconds slower doing it. I was having a hell of a time launching this car on street tires..it just hopped horribly bad, or occasionally broke them loose forever. I dont understand, I put have the suspension mods in my sig, it shouldn't wheel hop??

I know this car has 11s in it, so it hurt a little putting down a best if 13.09 for an et. If I got my 60ft down(and I know it needs a tire to do this), it likely has 117-118 in it through the traps.

To make things worse, I tried working on slipping the clutch to walk it out a little better. The pedal went flat off the line and the clutch fried on me :(

zlathim 06-23-2019 02:04 PM

I was running high 12s the first time I took my car to the track. Similar experience that you had, but I was spinning on drag radials. It just takes some practice is all. I have ovr 50 passes under my belt and I am feeling like I am starting to get the launch figured out for the most part.

The clutch situation you described sounds like many other I've read on here. I have an aftermarket slave and braided steel lines and I've never had an issue. Some guys swear by separating the brake and clutch reservoirs, but mine is still shared without issue.

Your rear suspension is set up fairly close to mine, but I'm not lowered. No idea if that adds to wheel hop or not.

Good luck getting everything squared away for next time.

Chris49066SS 06-23-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlathim (Post 10551471)
I went 12.073 @ 115.68 mph today. The DA was at 3,300 ft, IIRC.

Here is the slip. Sorry, no video.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/10c2f1ed...s1ai3t_540.jpg

I want to run an 11 so bad I can taste it
. I keep going just a little bit faster every time we get decent air, so hoping it happens soon. In the summer we run in DAs above 4k feet regularly. Today wasn't too bad.

The track posted this picture on their FB page, so I got that going for me!!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/6c9ec1bc...y9no1_1280.jpg

You'll get it, Z. By November maybe sooner. When the weather turns, you'll get it

zlathim 06-25-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris49066SS (Post 10552565)
You'll get it, Z. By November maybe sooner. When the weather turns, you'll get it

Thanks, Chris. I think you are right about the better air in the fall. :thumb:

abshire1006 06-26-2019 08:24 AM

man your so close, that sucks, i was running low 12's then boom i had a good launch and my clutch was cool so i didnt miss a gear and ran a 11.8 on my street tires. you got this when the weather cools a little more

zlathim 06-26-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abshire1006 (Post 10555200)
man your so close, that sucks, i was running low 12's then boom i had a good launch and my clutch was cool so i didnt miss a gear and ran a 11.8 on my street tires. you got this when the weather cools a little more

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Maroon 6.2L SS 08-22-2019 06:41 PM

Zlathim, have you done any weight reduction to your car? I'm still kind of a newbie to dragracing (bracket racing) but I did a lot of research on what to do to help reduce weight without getting "to crazy" on our camaros.

remove all 4 floor mats
remove trunk floor mat and hard plastic cover and compressor
remove battery metal cover
remove glove compartment/console compartment stuff not needed
run out washer fluid
remove sun visors
remove headrests
remove windshield wipers (keep with you at the strip though in case it rains)
remove engine felt cover
remove plenum cover
remove front small black spoiler in front of car

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!

Tajefe Couple 08-22-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maroon 6.2L SS (Post 10603579)
Zlathim, have you done any weight reduction to your car? I'm still kind of a newbie to dragracing (bracket racing) but I did a lot of research on what to do to help reduce weight without getting "to crazy" on our camaros.

remove all 4 floor mats
run out washer fluid
remove sun visors
remove headrests
remove engine felt cover
remove plenum cover

Nice!
Not sure on these cars but on 3rd Gens if you took that front spoiler off you'd have cooling issues all Summer long. Just mention it since might wanna keep an eye on that.
GL to you!

StingrayblueSS 08-22-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

remove all 4 floor mats
run out washer fluid
remove sun visors
remove headrests
remove engine felt cover
remove plenum cover

I guess everything adds up the obvious thing would be the back seat.

Chris49066SS 08-22-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

remove all 4 floor mats
run out washer fluid
remove sun visors
remove headrests
remove engine felt cover
remove plenum cover

Good list. The rotational weight is going to make the biggest difference though, and lets you keep the creature comforts. Exhaust is heavy too.

Hey Z, any new track results lately?

zlathim 08-26-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris49066SS (Post 10603680)
Good list. The rotational weight is going to make the biggest difference though, and lets you keep the creature comforts. Exhaust is heavy too.

Hey Z, any new track results lately?

No track news. I haven't been out much and when I have been out the DA has been pretty high. Like 5K-6k high. I'm looking forward to October for some good air.

I don't do much for weight reduction. I pull out the trunk floor and compressor and run with less than 1/2 tank of gas but that's about it. i'll probably do some of the other things on the list this fall if i have trouble getting into the 11s in good air.