Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Key stuck in ignition, not getting into "P" gear properly (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512010)

Qliver 10-30-2017 02:38 AM

Key stuck in ignition, not getting into "P" gear properly

Hello fellas,

A question regarding the issue with the key getting stuck in the ignition. I did some research and found that there can be several issues causing it. In my case it is definitely caused by the parking gear not kicking in properly. If I wiggle the shifter back and forth I can hear a click, and then the key can be taken out. My car has the automatic gearbox.

Found that there is a part that can be replaced in order to fix the problem:
Part #92213917 - Transmission Gearshift Control (F-Handle)

Has anybody tried repairing it by themselves? Since I live in Europe, Camaro parts are sometimes hard to come by.

Thanks!

Screwblower 10-31-2017 08:32 PM

Mine sticks too. I have found through trial and error , restart the car and quickly turn the key to the off position .

Qliver 11-03-2017 05:59 PM

So nobody has tried fixing it themselves?

I don't understand why I should restart the car, isn't it easier just to wiggle the shifter?

Missile Man 11-15-2017 08:10 AM

Mine appears to be related to the steering wheel lock. I need to twist the steering wheel back and forth when the key gets stuck. Used to restart the car but twisting the steering wheel works for me. Design defect from our friends at GM :thumbdown:

y2kgt46 11-15-2017 09:29 AM

I just solved this issue. It's the trigger from the shifter to disengage the key. If you listen, when you are in park, squeeze the trigger and you can hear a noise coming from the key. When you shift into park its not making contact. If you put it in park, and hit the trigger once, it should release the key every time. At least it did for me. Hope this helps!

Qliver 12-06-2017 03:12 PM

That doesn't really sound like a solution, I would rather do something which prevents this from happening. I don't believe this is normal behavior.

For me this doesn't seem to be related to the trigger, but rather the position of the shifter. If I wiggle it back and forth I can hear a click, and this also releases the key. But the dashboard usually says "P" when this occurs.

fhrex 12-06-2017 06:50 PM

Sounds like an issue with the BTSI solenoid, or an adjustment of the shift cable/linkage, if that's possible.....

redcoats1976 12-06-2017 08:09 PM

dealer replaced my shifter under warrantee to fix this issue.

fhrex 12-06-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 10001088)
dealer replaced my shifter under warrantee to fix this issue.

Yep, that's where the BTSI solenoid is. Glad you got your issue resolved

redcoats1976 12-07-2017 06:41 PM

i am wondering if they replaced the whole shifter or just the solenoid.is it a 1-piece deal or could it be replaced on the original shifter?not that it matters,just curious,i used to work on much older cars but this camaro is like looking in the garage and finding a cruise missile.

Qliver 12-10-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcoats1976 (Post 10002162)
i am wondering if they replaced the whole shifter or just the solenoid.is it a 1-piece deal or could it be replaced on the original shifter?not that it matters,just curious,i used to work on much older cars but this camaro is like looking in the garage and finding a cruise missile.

I am also interested in this, because I may have to change it, and pay for it myself

DeanH 01-27-2018 05:33 PM

Shifter replacement

I looked up the part number on my service ticket when I had to have mine replaced under warranty and it was the entire shifter assembly. I believe it is under $200.
I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

havelegs 01-27-2018 08:13 PM

Wow the same issue happened to me a few times in my car. It seemed to happen more so when it was cold out. I brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue. I have to press the button on the shifter a few times then hear a click in the steering column, then the key will release. So changing the shifter fixes this issue? And if so, would that require any sort of ecu/tcm flash?? I am tuned, the dealer knows that and even made a comment about it on the service ticket saying "the tune may affect the parking sensor."

Screwblower 01-27-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havelegs (Post 10057882)
Wow the same issue happened to me a few times in my car. It seemed to happen more so when it was cold out. I brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue. I have to press the button on the shifter a few times then hear a click in the steering column, then the key will release. So changing the shifter fixes this issue? And if so, would that require any sort of ecu/tcm flash?? I am tuned, the dealer knows that and even made a comment about it on the service ticket saying "the tune may affect the parking sensor."

Yes . You have a tuned shifter that holds the key to tight. :der:

I'm thinking of selling my Camaro 2SS convertible just because of shitty stories like this.