Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Has anyone used Transmission Fluid additive such as Prolong? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580938)

shredder7 08-29-2020 07:38 AM

Has anyone used Transmission Fluid additive such as Prolong?

2 Attachment(s)
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever added any transmission fluid additive such as Prolong Automatic or Manual transmission with your Transmission fluid change? What are the outcome? I heard Prolong is a great safe product.

hunter1660 08-29-2020 08:30 AM

Snake oil

mudwheel57 08-29-2020 01:42 PM

Prolong

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter1660 (Post 10858353)
Snake oil

I call bullshit! My 1995 dodge ram bought brand new would hang up second to third from day one. Had warranty work done and they never fixed it. I have used prolong for twenty five years and it shifts perfect. Without it it will hang up and not shift without letting up on the gas. So don't say anything unless you know what you are talking about.

hunter1660 08-29-2020 02:22 PM

Snake oil....you admit your transmission has faults from day one..Dodge should invest in this miracle cure...there is no magic in a bottle

InFiD3ViL 08-29-2020 03:13 PM

My thoughts are if this stuff was so great why don't the factories use this in the transmission from the beginning? This would cut down on warranty claims and issues.

I think some additives can and do work, but only in a transmission that is already having issues, acting as a band aid.

Moto-Mojo 08-29-2020 11:16 PM

RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS STUFF! True story. I used it in a 92 Blazer and went in a hunting trip. I started seeing a foggy mist on the back window as I was driving. Long story short, it was absolutely incompatible with the ATF in the trans. It bubbled out the vent all under the vehicle and blew up on the window. It oxidized just about every hard part in the tranny. Total rebuild. This was in about 1993. From that time on, I have sworn off all additives.

I did recently get burned again by adding Redline LSD additive to Amsoil diff gear oil. (it was all they had) Even that didn’t work out. Noisy. Went back to GM stuff. Run!

Aqua Blue RS/SS 08-30-2020 01:32 AM

If you’ve got an auto, Dex 6 is all you need. Don’t waste your time with anything else. You could really regret it in the end. I guess if it was on the way out, tha you don’t have much to loose but even then I wouldn’t touch any additives like that. If GM (who engineered the transmission, by the way) designed it to be in there Than they would spec it to be in there.

mudwheel57 09-04-2020 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will say AGAIN the transmission would Not shift right without the prolong in it! Over the span of 25 years and many fluid changes I have used other additives and none worked except prolong. Now, if your transmission is on its way out I don't care if you put dog crap in it, it will not work. But, if you have a valve or some other component sticking or hanging up, Prolong will help. I have proved it by using different products in this vehicle. And all of the young people that think they know it all, this is what a 25 yr. old engine bay looks like when you take care of a vehicle. 80,000 miles bought brand new. Picture snapped two months ago. I am 74 yrs old and I have worked on more cars than most of you are old. I don't say anything on this site unless I know what I am talking about. Prolong is NOT snake oil!

Avenging Orange 09-04-2020 01:51 PM

I have used a lot of Lucas stuff in my older, high mileage cars. Used Lucas Trans. fix in the F150 when it started hard shifting. So far so good. Use the injector cleaner in all my cars. Used Lucas Power steering fix in my '89 Century when steering rack started leaking at 132,000 miles. Kept the car till 169,000 and never leaked a drop.
Moral to the story....some work, some dont. They wont hurt anything...and if you dont like it, you can always swap it out.

tonypoet 09-04-2020 02:34 PM

I've used Lucus on older trannys on their way out with some temporary success. Never tried Prolong. My guess is Prolong would work best if introduced early on for maintenance. Having no experience with it I'm talking outta my butt a bit. Just my thoughts on it.

shredder7 09-09-2020 09:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Would you Camaro users suggest the Dexron VI SYNTHETIC? What brand do you recommend?

shredder7 09-09-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudwheel57 (Post 10862202)
I will say AGAIN the transmission would Not shift right without the prolong in it! Over the span of 25 years and many fluid changes I have used other additives and none worked except prolong. Now, if your transmission is on its way out I don't care if you put dog crap in it, it will not work. But, if you have a valve or some other component sticking or hanging up, Prolong will help. I have proved it by using different products in this vehicle. And all of the young people that think they know it all, this is what a 25 yr. old engine bay looks like when you take care of a vehicle. 80,000 miles bought brand new. Picture snapped two months ago. I am 74 yrs old and I have worked on more cars than most of you are old. I don't say anything on this site unless I know what I am talking about. Prolong is NOT snake oil!

Thanks for the suggestions, I know it worked in your Dodge. Have you used the Prolong Additive in your 2015 Camaro LS ?

gtstorey 09-09-2020 10:23 AM

Reminds me of years ago when someone told me that adding something to their oil (Z-max I think) and it dropped the engine RPMs substantially for the same vehicle speed. He couldn't explain how engine oil additives made his clutch stop slipping (manual transmission).

I'm skeptical of most additives, but especially anything that involves wet clutches like automatic transmissions. If it makes things more slippery too protect bearings and gears, the clutches may slip. If it improves friction on the clutches, what is that doing to the bearings? About all the additives can reasonably do on an auto transmission is increase detergents to clean out the valve body & solenoids or add something that swells the seals which I wouldn't want unless the transmission is failing anyway.

Aqua Blue RS/SS 09-09-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudwheel57 (Post 10862202)

Sorry but that doesn't change my opinion at all. Early/Mid 90’s dodge truck autos are junk to begin with. They had there fair share of problems with them when there were new. Definitely not known for there overwhelming Strength and durability. It may have worked for you but I won’t touch them. Not to mention the dodge tranny has nothing to do with the Camaros we love here. If the engineers who designed the tranny wanted additives in there, they’d spec it. I trust the fluid they spec and nothing else. That engine bay does look exception for its age I’ll give you that.