Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   TT Inferno [COTW 9/26/16] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377642)

derek1387 03-18-2016 05:30 AM

Dangit. I wish my wife would have let me turbo mine....I had all the time in the world over the winter.

But she wants a house :-/

JantzenOKC 03-18-2016 06:22 AM

Those turbos DO sit high! Definitely a tight fit looks like. Are they high enough up to not have to run a scavenge pump.

Centerforce_Clutches 03-18-2016 02:43 PM

Builds coming along! What size GTX's did you go with?

djcolopi 03-18-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JantzenOKC (Post 8975172)
Those turbos DO sit high! Definitely a tight fit looks like. Are they high enough up to not have to run a scavenge pump.

Yes, they are positioned so I do not have to run an oil scavenge pump; instead they are drained by gravity.

djcolopi 03-18-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforce_Clutches (Post 8976392)
Builds coming along! What size GTX's did you go with?

GTX2863R; I will potentially upgrade later on to GT30's. However, by the end of this year I will be upgrading my drivetrain (ss rear swap) and going with BMR for my suspension. Next year I will be forging my internals and working with Justin and Will on a secondary fuel setup and a few other guys in the LFX community on swapping in a new transmission; 6L80E or a 4L80E.

JantzenOKC 03-18-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djcolopi (Post 8976515)
Yes, they are positioned so I do not have to run an oil scavenge pump; instead they are drained by gravity.

That will be nice. That's one thing I hate is always worrying about my scavenge pump.

I can't believe you're doing all this to your ONLY car... You need to spend $1K and buy you a beater.

camrytt 03-19-2016 06:10 PM

I love everything about it. Really interested in the turbo set up, the GTX2863R is so much cheaper than anything else I've seen. Like almost attainable for me.

djcolopi 03-19-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camrytt (Post 8978447)
I love everything about it. Really interested in the turbo set up, the GTX2863R is so much cheaper than anything else I've seen. Like almost attainable for me.

The GTX2863R cost an additional $524 as an upgrade from the Journal Bearing GT28; so upgrading to the GTX2863R's cost me an additional $1048.00.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-22-2016 10:23 AM

Damn, I am loving this thread. I'm not too far from MD myself, will love to see the numbers and wonder if your shop will consider going into production for that type of kit and the $ involved, compared to the other option for our cars.

Car looks great!

djcolopi 03-22-2016 07:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Who has twin intakes? :laughabove:

djcolopi 03-28-2016 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The turboflex coupling w/interlock liner from vibrant performance has been installed

djcolopi 04-04-2016 06:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The oil and water coolant lines have been installed. Now I just need the boost line and gauge installed. Then Inferno will be tuned and dynoed.

djcolopi 04-08-2016 08:27 PM

Sorry everyone, they were having trouble uploading hp tuners so now I will have to wait until Monday. Hopefully, HP tuners will contact my shop right away and progress can get back under way. 12 weeks and counting! :sad0147:

djcolopi 04-15-2016 03:07 PM

Still working out some last minute bugs. We ran into a bit of a delema because of how efficient this turbo setup is in this configuration. It spools so easily that the standard Garrett internal wastegate opening can't bleed boost fast enough and we are getting boost creep. So it spools right up to 12psi at the start of the run but as the rpm's go up the boost starts to climb as well and we need to have control of the boost levels for obvious reasons.

Of all problems that we could have it's not a bad one because it shows the setup will be amazing when the bugs are ironed out. Unfortunately this means a delay.

JE will be pulling the turbo's off and porting the opening for the internal gate as a first attempt at solving this problem. Obviously adding some back pressure via high flow cats would solve the problem and be the quick fix but we want to maintain this free flow setup if possible so will try this first.

This is a very common issue with many OEM turbo cars like the mazda speeds and subaru's when you do cat deletes and 3" exhaust setups. Very low back pressure can make these cars creep as well.

If this mod works we will be back in action soon. If it still creeps we may end up needing larger external waste gate setups vs the standard Garrett internal type.

With a bunch of dyno time at this point the gravity drains on the turbo are working flawlessly so that's great news. Amazing how clean and tidy this turbo kit is and how well it fits. Seems like it's OEM!

Still can't get over how ridiculously fast it spools up!

Oh, and for those that are eager to join the gravity feed twin turbo club and not deal with the scavenge pump setup JE said they will be willing to do a limited run on a made to order basis but will require them to be installed at the shop only. Eventually they would be able to build jigs and mass produce so it would be available for order and install anywhere. For now your going to need to go to Maryland to get it! Hit them up for more info if your interested. sales@jeimportperformance.com