Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Rock In Windshield : ( (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302506)

jazyjason 06-17-2013 11:17 PM

Rock In Windshield : (

a

skibik 06-17-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazyjason (Post 6683339)
Happened while I was driving on the freeway. The rock hit the bottom right of the windshield and splintered almost immediately. Ordered a new windshield from the dealer for 450 installed.

Oddly enough Geico wouldn't honor my updated policy for a non deductible because there was a 24 hour period in which my old policy was in effect. Has anyone else had their windshields replaced before?

Not on this car yet but I am sure it will happen. Last car, '04 Monte Carlo replaced wind shield twice due to rocks, truck before that at least once. I have glass coverage through State Farm. They even give me a choice, chip repair or replace, I have not had any luck with chip repair as it seems to fall out within 3 months. Only expense out of my pocket besides the insurance premiums is the gas to drive to the glass shop.

Dean. :cool:

CHMSC 06-17-2013 11:34 PM

Try $668.73 if you have an SS with HUD

Doc 06-17-2013 11:40 PM

You could always try replacing the windshield with Optic Armor polycarbonate glass; it's 250x stronger than the factory glass so it should pretty well be immune to rock ding cracks. It's also at least 50% lighter in weight than the stock glass. We've got a group buy going if you want in on it:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300817

The regular price for the windshield which is black-out ready to drop in is $500 but with the group buy we get 10% off so it would be $450.

jaysonstuart 06-17-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Happened while I was driving on the freeway. The rock hit the bottom right of the windshield and splintered almost immediately. Ordered a new windshield from the dealer for 450 installed.

Oddly enough Geico wouldn't honor my updated policy for a non deductible because there was a 24 hour period in which my old policy was in effect. Has anyone else had their windshields replaced before?

Should have waited a day before you called! :bonk:

omgitsmikeyC 06-18-2013 05:11 AM

You can still call your previous insurance company as it was covered at the time of loss and they will cover it or refund you some of the costs. Make sure they see the damage before you replace it though. Also, you may be able to just call your current insurance and request a letter stating that their coverage started after the damage was there, and submit that to your previous insurance as proof of the event before changing companies.

KICKER 06-18-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysonstuart (Post 6683411)
Should have waited a day before you called! :bonk:

You TOO FUNNY! :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:

Good luck with your windshield jazyjason!

Moorepheus 06-18-2013 06:35 AM

at least it was the windshield. I had a big rock hit the hood and pillar on the drivers side of my Traverse, instead of hitting the window. So, instead of getting it fix 100% by my insurance company, I had to pay my deductible to fix the paint gouges that it left, which it was down to the metal. Man, was I pissed.

meissen 06-18-2013 10:20 AM

I have a crack in my windshield from a rock that hit it less than an inch away from the edge of the windshield by the a-pillar. Part of me is bummed that it's cracked because the deductible for me to replace my windshield with StateFarm is $250, but the other part of me is happy it didn't hit the paint because I know it would have been much worse if it did.

25000 miles and already need a replacement windshield and I have more rock chips and scratches on my car than I'd care to admit. Daily driving the Camaro with it being about a 60 mile round trip drive to and from work really puts a lot of wear and tear on the body of the car. :(

Chevrolet Customer Svc 06-18-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your windshield crack jazyjason. Are you being serviced at a GM certified dealership? Do update us on the progress of your repair with the dealer and if there is any help we can offer along the way.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Ringo64 06-18-2013 10:58 AM

Under Florida Insurance laws, we get windshields replaced for free. Hasn't happened to me yet **Knock on Wood**

union894 06-18-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 6684743)
Under Florida Insurance laws, we get windshields replaced for free. Hasn't happened to me yet **Knock on Wood**

that's good to know

The Stig 06-18-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 6683402)
You could always try replacing the windshield with Optic Armor polycarbonate glass; it's 250x stronger than the factory glass so it should pretty well be immune to rock ding cracks. It's also at least 50% lighter in weight than the stock glass. We've got a group buy going if you want in on it:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300817

The regular price for the windshield which is black-out ready to drop in is $500 but with the group buy we get 10% off so it would be $450.

I saw this thread and your group buy was the first thing that popped into my mind Doc, not going to lie.