Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   zl1 muffler (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378616)

zhangxy9202 09-24-2014 11:48 AM

zl1 muffler

hey guys
:w00t:just got a stock zl1 muffler from a friend of mine, I wanna them on my 2lt Camaro, but when I checked them, I found out there is a thing on the one of the pipe like a switch thing, and there is no wire, nothing on it, my question is how do I get that thing open or close, do I need any wire to control it?

ZED SLED 09-24-2014 11:55 AM

It's the solenoid for the flap that blocks the exhaust from going through the muffler via the inner pipe. With nothing controlling it the all the exhaust will flow straight through the outer pipe. A lot of us have pulled the fuse to make it work like that anyway. You could probably wire a relay to it controlled by IGN to keep it closed if you wanted.

zhangxy9202 09-24-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 7970936)
It's the solenoid for the flap that blocks the exhaust from going through the muffler via the inner pipe. With nothing controlling it the all the exhaust will flow straight through the outer pipe. A lot of us have pulled the fuse to make it work like that anyway. You could probably wire a relay to it controlled by IGN to keep it closed if you wanted.

You mean when I press the gas the block thing will open?

zhangxy9202 09-24-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 7970936)

but with a V6 I don't think there is a fuse for that right?

itsadryheat79 09-24-2014 12:18 PM

It's engaged with a 10 amp fuse. Personally I'd consider just leaving it out or get an aftermarket "Mild to Wild" controller to hook it up with a wireless key fob.

If your getting a loud drown sound while cruising at highway speeds you might want to hook it up and see if it will quiet the exhaust especially for long trips.

2012LS3VERT 09-25-2014 07:17 AM

Just put them in, the actuators are controlled by vacuum. You can just run a long vacuum line from the engine bay to the actuators, just have to use a tee in the rear. Then the flaps will be closed at idle and part throttle, then open when get to about 3000 RPM or so. No electrical needed if you do it that way. If you want full control, then it is still similar, there is just a solenoid box that you would have to get to control it, but the box is about $200. I built my own for quite a bit less.

64stingray 09-25-2014 08:46 AM

Your explanation is somewhat right. The actuators are control by vacuum but without 12v, they will be open all the time, wild, the solenoid controls the vacuum by grounding or opening the I/p to the solenoid. Once you got vacuum, ground the I/p pin to the solenoid, you get mild. open and you get wild. The automatic on/off is controlled by the fuel pump control module which put a ground or not and its under control of the engine control module.

2012LS3VERT 09-25-2014 09:02 AM

Your explanation is for a factory NPP car. I explained for a retrofit, which the OP is asking about. I have retrofitted multiple non factory corvettes.