Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   bolt on (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139869)

paultheman2007 04-08-2011 03:16 PM

bolt on

Okay let me tell you this off the back im a dummy im new to this stuff now what is a bolt on where can i buy them and how much extra horses can i get

elcapitan1110 04-08-2011 03:21 PM

A bolt-on is a category of mods... it could apply to a number of things. What are you specifically looking to buy?

ron10 04-08-2011 03:30 PM

i would classify a bolt on as anything except tearing into the engine.

The Stig 04-08-2011 03:32 PM

I usually define it as anything I can just bolt on. Like exhaust, headers etc. Mot something where you're tearing apart the engine

daveagogo1 04-08-2011 04:57 PM

Bolt on HP and enhancements are Cold air intakes, Throttle bodies, manifolds, Exhaust. Things like that. Basically anything that does not require tearing into the motor.

With say a CAI, Long tube headers, exhaust, TB and a tune. You could easily gain 40-50RWHP But, as soon as you tune the car your powertrain warranty is almost certainly null and void. If you wish to keep the warranty stick with parts that won't require a tune such as most CAI's or axleback exhaust, even catbacks mostly.

Not asking questions if you do not know is dumb. So no you are not dumb just not savvy in this area. Good luck and happy modding.

Skidpuppy 04-08-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultheman2007 (Post 3071603)
Okay let me tell you this off the back im a dummy im new to this stuff now what is a bolt on where can i buy them and how much extra horses can i get

:bellyroll:

That, was funny.

paultheman2007 04-08-2011 11:14 PM

Thanks I am looking to get some long tube headers does that require. A tune

Raptor626 04-08-2011 11:20 PM

Not necessarily, but you SHOULD. Otherwise, if you don't, your engine may start throwing codes since, in the case of long tube headers, the cats are being pushed back away from the engine thus causing the sensors to take longer to warm up.

Make sense?

Capthowdy 04-08-2011 11:20 PM

Are you for real? or you just jerkn our chains? if you are for real I apoligize...you got to start somwhere and you can't learn if you don't ask question right? just there are a lot of jokers on here....that seem to not have anything better to do....

Raptor626 04-08-2011 11:24 PM

Oh btw, I don't mean to be a dick, but maybe you should have looked into such things before buying a MUSCLE CAR!

LOL, just kidding, it's all good. Everyone was a newbie at one point, and even after years of experience there's always more to learn. Good luck!

Raptor626 04-08-2011 11:25 PM

I guess great minds think alike? lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capthowdy (Post 3073320)
Are you for real? or you just jerkn our chains? if you are for real I apoligize...you got to start somwhere and you can't learn if you don't ask question right? just there are a lot of jokers on here....that seem to not have anything better to do....

Thinking the same thing brother.

daveagogo1 04-08-2011 11:53 PM

To the OP. You really should get a tune if you install some long tubes. Most likely as stated you will get some codes thrown and in some cases it can actually cause you to lose power by adding long tubes with no tune. Here are a few items that typically do not require any tune and add some ponies.

A cold air induction. Easy install and can add anywhere from 5-12HP. Results vary obviously but usually increase engine bay noise and improve throttle response a bit. A ported throttle body maybe 6-9HP or so with way better throttle response. These are pretty typical starting mods. To make any real HP gains your going to have to get a tune and that will kill your warranty on the power train most certainly. So you need to make that decision up front.

Be aware though that if you do go the tune route. Consider someone who will give you free retunes if you buy the parts from them. Tunes can get pricey after a while and will be needed when you start adding more mods. Plan ahead and you will save a bunch of time and money. Research the forums and ask questions before just buying parts.

flyby 04-09-2011 06:52 AM

Mods also include an underdrive pulley. Some mods have nothing to do with the actual engine power that can also increase the cars power such as lighter weight wheels, brake rotors and rear gears. Good luck with the mods and happy spending.