Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GenV Small Block Plant??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4331)

vetterxx 05-30-2008 01:05 PM

GenV Small Block Plant???

I've only been hearing talk about assembly and transmission plants being confirmed for the new Camaro. The only official word I've heard is that the place where the transmissions will be produced will be be able to make the new small blocks in the future. Is there any word about if there is going to be a plant making the GenV's soon enough for the first production year or are we for sure going to have the Ls3 for the first year and have a new motor for the second? Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't see many people getting the old technology motor if they've waited this long already.

GTAHVIT 05-30-2008 01:21 PM

Dragoneye, has the best information on this. But, the general concensus is that the Gen V motors won't be available in the first production year. Possibly, we will see them in the second year.

Dragon?

vetterxx 05-30-2008 01:24 PM

I was afraid that was the general consensus :/. But this did come up once before and somebody said that we shouldn't worry and they were taking care of it and we would be happy. We shall see.

Mr. Wyndham 05-30-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 73809)
Dragoneye, has the best information on this....Dragon?

You give me too much credit. ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vetterxx (Post 73803)
Is there any word about if there is going to be a plant making the GenV's soon enough for the first production year or are we for sure going to have the Ls3 for the first year and have a new motor for the second?

When GM and the UAW were going through talks, and they came out with that revolutionary Contract...a site got their hands on it, and I subsequently copied it. :wave: It told of supplier/plant commitments, etc, etc...And everything in it relating to the Gen V engine was taking place at the 2011 mark. So, no Gen V for the first, or second model years at least. When they finally go to production, GM will probably want to put them in trucks first to help offeset fuel economy, and emissions, etc. But I very much doubt they'll be able to produce enough of them right at first to pop them in any vehicle they want...so don't look for it in the 3rd model year, either. (Of this I could be wrong, I have no idea what GM's priorities are.)

So, to answer your question, no. There's no way we'll see a Generation V engine in the Camaro the first year out.:cry:
And we are not sure that the LS3 is a for-sure, but all fingers point to it. So value that as you will.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vetterxx (Post 73803)
Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't see many people getting the old technology motor if they've waited this long already.

If you mean that lots of people will be waiting two more very long years at least just to get themselves a GenV engine....I'd argue that point. The LS3 may be considered "old-tech", but it's a world-class engine - and will undoubtedly suit people's needs for speed quite well. :cool: :chevy:

vetterxx 05-30-2008 02:05 PM

Well i agree the LS3 is world class- I own one, but i would have waited one model year for a GenV. Any more than that wouldn't be worth the wait. But it doesnt really matter to me. I'll be getting the HiPo.:D

DGthe3 05-30-2008 10:41 PM

I believe that at least some of the gen V's will be built at GM powertrain in St Catharines. 3whiterag?

camaro5 05-31-2008 02:45 PM

GM Building New GEN-5 V-8 in St. Catharines

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4135

TAG UR IT 06-01-2008 12:37 AM

3whiterag....we'll have to have a talk on the back porch now.... :D

3whiterag 06-01-2008 07:24 AM

I will be there every night!:chevy:

TAG UR IT 06-01-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3whiterag (Post 74240)
I will be there every night!:chevy:

Like Mr. Burns would say from the Simpsons as he taps the tips of his fingers together...

E..x...c...e...l...l...e...n...t