Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Night Fury Cam in '11 SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531210)

PhatStackSS 06-10-2018 01:23 PM

Night Fury Cam in '11 SS

I recently just put a Night Fury Cam in my car. (I'm a newbie when it comes to engine work; luckily my brother & father are mechanics and help). My uncle works on race cars & suggested I put different springs and rods in since the Night Fury Cam is bigger than stock. I have been using all stock parts but now thinking about it, should I take his advice.. I mean I am going to but what rods & springs should I get? BTR Chromoly rods have been sitting in my head for a long time, as well as the springs. I just haven't fell through with it yet. Also fuel injectors.. should I get new ones? Or is it better to call whoever from Lethal Racing and get their thought/facts of what I need to get for the cam? I also was thinking of getting new lifters, but I'm assuming the lifters should be fine..? My car has about 65k miles, the lifters look new still. Thoughts on my situation please and thank you!

saluki 06-10-2018 01:48 PM

can you list what you have on the car? also if you are still using the stock blue valve springs park the car and don't start it until you change them

PhatStackSS 06-10-2018 02:59 PM

I am currently putting the Night Fury cam in & Kooks headers. I have a Borla Cat-Back exhaust & Roto-Fab CAI I'll be putting back on it. But everything else is completely stock.

zz430camaro 06-10-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatStackSS (Post 10214035)
I am currently putting the Night Fury cam in & Kooks headers. I have a Borla Cat-Back exhaust & Roto-Fab CAI I'll be putting back on it. But everything else is completely stock.

You must get new valve springs and pushrods for the cam. Texas Speed can get you the correct ones. Its not a bad idea to get new quality lifters but you need to take of the heads to replace the lifters. Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them. Go to Texas Speed, they can get you a cam or grind you a night fury.

jergarr 06-10-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz430camaro (Post 10214040)
Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them.

Thats interesting to hear. I've never heard of any problems with them.

PFL 06-10-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

You must get new valve springs and pushrods for the cam. Texas Speed can get you the correct ones. Its not a bad idea to get new quality lifters but you need to take of the heads to replace the lifters. Dont buy cams from Brian Tooley, they have problems with them. Go to Texas Speed, they can get you a cam or grind you a night fury.

:thumbdown:
Did you come to that conclusion alone? BTR racing has the best cam.

zz430camaro 06-10-2018 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFL (Post 10214076)
:thumbdown:
Did you come to that conclusion alone? BTR racing has the best cam.

Let me re-phrase that, dont buy cams from them that are ground by Comp Cams, there is plenty of data to support this. Just ask Bo White, he pulled a BTR stage 3 that was coming apart with pics to prove it. Here is the pic from when he pulled out the cam, would you put one in after seeing that? Its happened to many of them if you search around, sad but true.

Attachment 940332

PhatStackSS 06-10-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Well I already have the Night Fury cam in. I'll be calling tomorrow morning to see what springs & rods are recommended for the cam. & I have heard nothing but good about BT. You're the first I have heard say something negative. I mean everyone has their opinion about things but you'll never know until you test it out yourself. Live and learn

saluki 06-10-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Don't by springs from texas speed they have problems with them. ask all the guys that used there .650's. ask LS1TECH

no matter that these incidences happened a while ago.

bhillakaiceberg 06-10-2018 08:22 PM

LOL!! This thread is full of #FAIL!

BTR Cams and valve springs are fine. Comp Cams are fine. Plenty of folks are running them with no issues.

Yes, comp cams did have a run of bad camshafts, but that was a very small percentage of their overall heavy production.

OP: Yes, you will most def need hardened Pushrods and valvesprings, whether they are BTR or another company. Just make sure you get the correct length.

CamaroDreams76 06-10-2018 08:40 PM

Good luck talking to lethal racing. They went out of business YEARS ago.

When Lethal went out, BTR picked up the night fury. So BTR would be the one to call.

WHAMMO 06-10-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhillakaiceberg (Post 10214275)
LOL!! This thread is full of #FAIL!

If you dont know you need better than stock springs with and aftermarket cam, dont do it yourself. You clearly need to read a lot more on the subject. I dont suggest you to put better springs and pushrods, I command you to do it.

jc615 06-11-2018 11:34 AM

He doesn't have to put them in...he just won't have a running car for long lol.

Also, I wouldn't worry about BTR cams. If it was that bad they wouldn't be selling them. Last time we heard about the bad batch of cams was a while ago

Morgan.13 06-14-2018 11:59 AM

I just did my night fury cam install, I used the BTR platinum double springs with the titanium retainers, and 7.400 hardened pushrods(you should measure to make absolutely sure). You might want to consider a melling oil pump, and Katech c5-r timing chain. I personally replaced all my litters with new ones when I did mine(40,000 miles on them) for peace of mind. If you’re going to go through all the work might as well do it the right way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk