Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What should I do? Help me out here! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111585)

AK Mike 10-18-2010 10:55 PM

What should I do? Help me out here!

I'm getting the itch for more power...not that the 6.2 is wimpy; far from it. I just think another 30-40 hp would be just the "ticket" (no pun intended). I put my name on the list for a Z28, but probably won't be able to get one for another year...so thinking about some performance mods. I already have the Hurst shifter and skip shift eliminator (plus some cosmetics: Heritage grille, painted engine cover and crossed flags emblems).

Here's what I'm thinking: long tube headers, hi-flow cats, Borla touring cat-back (hate loud cars) and CAI. Problem is that I've been out of the hot-rodding business since the days of points and carburetors (yes, I'm old)...so I don't know if I'll need a tune...or not. And, I don't know which brands I like 'cept for the Borla...thinking Kooks on the headers & cats and still don't know about the CAI. No speed shops here, I'll do all my own work...any suggestions? Or should I just wait for the Z? :mad0259:

M6HuggerSS 10-18-2010 11:20 PM

ARH, or LG can provide you with a very well built header system.
throw in a CAI, and you will net the requested HP.

after that, id be looking either H/C or F/I.

2010 SSRS 10-18-2010 11:22 PM

longtubes, cai and a tune will make you very happy.

klatterblast 10-18-2010 11:30 PM

your out of luck if you dont like loud cars with the headers , cai , tune because it will be a beast that cant be shut up.

DroptopZ 10-19-2010 12:45 AM

The Kooks headers get a :thumbup: from me... With factory cat-back, Kooks 1 7/8s and high-flow cats the car is pretty mild under light acceleration and really only starts yelling when you stab the throttle. I'll see if I can post a vid this weekend. FYI I don't have a base-line # but with LTs, high-flow cats, CAI and a tune we're putting down 423 at the wheels (Mustang Dyno)... pretty decent gain if you ask me :)

KEEP RT 10-19-2010 03:21 AM

AK Mike,
I think your on the right track. Problem is you have next to no where to drive to really enjoy it, unless you take the fast ferry to Anchorage (Whittier). But Juneau is beautiful!! (I was in an back out this AM.)

Sir Nuke 10-19-2010 06:17 AM

With the things you have mentioned....you will easly gained the HP you are asking for, but I would certainly recomend the tune if at all possible, it will give you the most gains oit of the equipment you will have just installed. Our Camaro club a DYNO DAY this last weekend, 19 car got dyno'ed, with the mods you are wanting to make....you will easily be sitting at the 370 RWHP ballpark.

hrpiii 10-19-2010 06:37 AM

by the time you 'build' your powerful car, then want to trade in on a Z28, you will take a huge hit in value/trade-in. Go ahead and build your z28. Don't halfa$$ it, you want it, buy it.... SUPERCHARGER!!! :D

its a syn 10-19-2010 06:48 AM

hey mike ,sounds like someone is planning there winter to stay busy with their camaro!! I installed a Injen CAI about a month ago, have to say it really woke up the V6. Sounds great also, and easy to install. Look up jannetty racing they did a bunch of dyno testing on CAI for V8 & V6. Was what I based my CAI purchase on. I'd go with the mods, it's a looooong winter buddy!! lol:D

AK Mike 10-19-2010 10:43 PM

You'd be right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEEP RT (Post 2457821)
AK Mike,
I think your on the right track. Problem is you have next to no where to drive to really enjoy it, unless you take the fast ferry to Anchorage (Whittier). But Juneau is beautiful!! (I was in an back out this AM.)

Yep, not much for roads here! I did get a 3K road trip in this summer; ferry to Bellingham and down WA to OR, then across to ID, south to UT and back up through WY, MT, ID and to Bellingham again & home. Almost got 7 thousand miles and getting ready to put it away for the winter. Whatcha doin' in AK?

AK Mike 10-19-2010 10:47 PM

Not sure what to do yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by its a syn (Post 2457944)
hey mike ,sounds like someone is planning there winter to stay busy with their camaro!! I installed a Injen CAI about a month ago, have to say it really woke up the V6. Sounds great also, and easy to install. Look up jannetty racing they did a bunch of dyno testing on CAI for V8 & V6. Was what I based my CAI purchase on. I'd go with the mods, it's a looooong winter buddy!! lol:D

Sounds like the CAI worked well for you! Still, we're already at sea level here and always have good cool/damp air, so not sure how much I can expect out of a CAI. I'm pretty sure I'll jump on a Z if/when they become available, but in the meantime....stay warm in Iowa this winter, I sure don't miss those cold west winds and snow drifts!! I think I'll plan my next road trip during the winter! :thumbup:

Entaille 10-19-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 2457925)
by the time you 'build' your powerful car, then want to trade in on a Z28, you will take a huge hit in value/trade-in. Go ahead and build your z28. Don't halfa$$ it, you want it, buy it.... SUPERCHARGER!!! :D

agreed. either supercharge it or wait for the Z. you will not be content with the extra 40hp from the sounds of it.

SMGSS 10-20-2010 01:57 PM

30-40 RWHP is not that hard to attain. A catted Long tube ARH system, and CAI with a tune will get you that. You can even keep your stock mufflers to help keep the noise down. It won't cost you an arm an a leg to do the aforementioned either. If you have any questions feel free to call or email us!

aet08 10-20-2010 02:05 PM

the need for more power doesn't stop.

do it right the first time and get yourself a supercharger.