Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
AK Mike

Drives: 1951 Chevy Pickup 2010 Camaro
What should I do? Help me out here!

I'm getting the itch for more power...not that the 6.2 is wimpy; far from it. I just think another 30-40 hp would be just the "ticket" (no pun intended). I put my name on the list for a Z28, but probably won't be able to get one for another year...so thinking about some performance mods. I already have the Hurst shifter and skip shift eliminator (plus some cosmetics: Heritage grille, painted engine cover and crossed flags emblems).

Here's what I'm thinking: long tube headers, hi-flow cats, Borla touring cat-back (hate loud cars) and CAI. Problem is that I've been out of the hot-rodding business since the days of points and carburetors (yes, I'm old)...so I don't know if I'll need a tune...or not. And, I don't know which brands I like 'cept for the Borla...thinking Kooks on the headers & cats and still don't know about the CAI. No speed shops here, I'll do all my own work...any suggestions? Or should I just wait for the Z?
AK Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
M6HuggerSS

Drives: Crane Truck
ARH, or LG can provide you with a very well built header system.
throw in a CAI, and you will net the requested HP.

after that, id be looking either H/C or F/I.

1999 HUGGER SS SOLD :(
400rwhp (3375lbs)

2002 YELLOW Z06 SOLD :(
360rwhp (3040lbs)

2013 CAMARO ZL1 COMMING SOON
M6HuggerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
longtubes, cai and a tune will make you very happy.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
your out of luck if you dont like loud cars with the headers , cai , tune because it will be a beast that cant be shut up.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
The Kooks headers get a from me... With factory cat-back, Kooks 1 7/8s and high-flow cats the car is pretty mild under light acceleration and really only starts yelling when you stab the throttle. I'll see if I can post a vid this weekend. FYI I don't have a base-line # but with LTs, high-flow cats, CAI and a tune we're putting down 423 at the wheels (Mustang Dyno)... pretty decent gain if you ask me

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
AK Mike,
I think your on the right track. Problem is you have next to no where to drive to really enjoy it, unless you take the fast ferry to Anchorage (Whittier). But Juneau is beautiful!! (I was in an back out this AM.)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
With the things you have mentioned....you will easly gained the HP you are asking for, but I would certainly recomend the tune if at all possible, it will give you the most gains oit of the equipment you will have just installed. Our Camaro club a DYNO DAY this last weekend, 19 car got dyno'ed, with the mods you are wanting to make....you will easily be sitting at the 370 RWHP ballpark.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
by the time you 'build' your powerful car, then want to trade in on a Z28, you will take a huge hit in value/trade-in. Go ahead and build your z28. Don't halfa$$ it, you want it, buy it.... SUPERCHARGER!!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
hey mike ,sounds like someone is planning there winter to stay busy with their camaro!! I installed a Injen CAI about a month ago, have to say it really woke up the V6. Sounds great also, and easy to install. Look up jannetty racing they did a bunch of dyno testing on CAI for V8 & V6. Was what I based my CAI purchase on. I'd go with the mods, it's a looooong winter buddy!! lol
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
AK Mike

You'd be right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
AK Mike,
I think your on the right track. Problem is you have next to no where to drive to really enjoy it, unless you take the fast ferry to Anchorage (Whittier). But Juneau is beautiful!! (I was in an back out this AM.)
Yep, not much for roads here! I did get a 3K road trip in this summer; ferry to Bellingham and down WA to OR, then across to ID, south to UT and back up through WY, MT, ID and to Bellingham again & home. Almost got 7 thousand miles and getting ready to put it away for the winter. Whatcha doin' in AK?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
AK Mike

Not sure what to do yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
hey mike ,sounds like someone is planning there winter to stay busy with their camaro!! I installed a Injen CAI about a month ago, have to say it really woke up the V6. Sounds great also, and easy to install. Look up jannetty racing they did a bunch of dyno testing on CAI for V8 & V6. Was what I based my CAI purchase on. I'd go with the mods, it's a looooong winter buddy!! lol
Sounds like the CAI worked well for you! Still, we're already at sea level here and always have good cool/damp air, so not sure how much I can expect out of a CAI. I'm pretty sure I'll jump on a Z if/when they become available, but in the meantime....stay warm in Iowa this winter, I sure don't miss those cold west winds and snow drifts!! I think I'll plan my next road trip during the winter!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
by the time you 'build' your powerful car, then want to trade in on a Z28, you will take a huge hit in value/trade-in. Go ahead and build your z28. Don't halfa$$ it, you want it, buy it.... SUPERCHARGER!!!
agreed. either supercharge it or wait for the Z. you will not be content with the extra 40hp from the sounds of it.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
SMGSS

Drives: 00 SS, 67 SS
30-40 RWHP is not that hard to attain. A catted Long tube ARH system, and CAI with a tune will get you that. You can even keep your stock mufflers to help keep the noise down. It won't cost you an arm an a leg to do the aforementioned either. If you have any questions feel free to call or email us!
SMGSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
aet08

Drives: c
the need for more power doesn't stop.

do it right the first time and get yourself a supercharger.
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote