Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2010 V6 manual transmission shifting issue (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498976)

gus0671 06-19-2017 10:29 PM

2010 V6 manual transmission shifting issue

Hey guys, I have a 2010 3.6L Camaro RS 6Speed manual. I've had the car for 4 years now and I've never had an issues with it, up until now. the car has about 83k miles and lately I've been having a shifting issue, the clutch isn't sticking, slipping, or grinding the gears, Its hard to shift into gear. I struggle the must to get it into reverse and first gear. If anyone has any ideas or any suggestions that might help. It would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you !

riozlander 06-19-2017 11:55 PM

synchronizers might be worn out in the trans best guess i got

Avenging Orange 06-20-2017 12:06 AM

Has tranny fluid ever been changed?

Dusman23 06-20-2017 09:10 AM

Its the clutch. I had the same exact problem with mine. Mine has 85k miles on it. Just got the car back yesterday after a new clutch and flywheel and it works perfectly now.

Jazzzed 06-20-2017 09:48 AM

The clutch isn't releasing fully. Therefore it keeps spinning the input shaft to the transmission. The trans won't allow shifting into other gears when the input shaft is spinning. It will either be a slave cylinder, or something binding on the clutch itself. Could be the master cylinder too, or even air in the lines.

gus0671 06-20-2017 08:45 PM

thanks guys, and I've yet to change any fluids since I've got it, other than oil changes. The dealership said they did a complete fluid flush when the car came in. Im coming to the conclusion i will have to change out the clutch

Black_SS10 06-21-2017 07:31 AM

Can you put in to 1st and reverse when the car is off? If so that points more to a worn clutch, or like Jazzzed described.

Avenging Orange 06-21-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus0671 (Post 9782873)
thanks guys, and I've yet to change any fluids since I've got it, other than oil changes. The dealership said they did a complete fluid flush when the car came in. Im coming to the conclusion i will have to change out the clutch

I'do a tranny fluid change for piece of mind. Maybe check and refresh the brake/clutch reservoir.
Not too many dealerships perform such duties like they did back in the day....when the costomer was king.

WoodBoss 06-21-2017 09:42 AM

Sounds like your clutch may be not fully disengaging. When you are moving does it shift easier?

Foxfire15 06-21-2017 10:40 AM

Sounds like a clutch / clutch plate to me. Had a plate fail with similar symptoms on my first car and it left me stranded in a little podunk town. Dad ended up power shifting the SoB home. I'd get it into the shop sooner rather than later.

RubberChicken 06-21-2017 10:41 AM

Clutch. I had a similar problem with the very first car I owned. The clutch was going out and had to be replaced.

Rock-It Man 06-21-2017 02:23 PM

Yes it's the clutch not disengaging. Fix it soon before you damage the gears.

You can go ahead and change the transmission fluid, but that's not gonna fix anything. In manual transmissions, the fluid gets very little stress or contamination.

CamaroFred 06-21-2017 03:39 PM

The pressure plate fails. with enough use the springs loose their spring.

But no sense to replace only the pressure plate as the rest of the parts aren't far behind.
Be sure the estimate includes the throw out bearing and fork. May as well get all the bits for the labor cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxfire15 (Post 9783604)
Sounds like a clutch / clutch plate to me. Had a plate fail with similar symptoms on my first car and it left me stranded in a little podunk town. Dad ended up power shifting the SoB home. I'd get it into the shop sooner rather than later.

You don't have to actually power shift, rev-matching works. Probably what your dad really did.

when you need to stop slip it into neutral. turn the key off after stopping (so you have brakes and steering until you stop). When it's time to go, have it in 2nd and hit the starter. And away you go. A bit of careful upshifting without a clutch can get you up to highway speeds.

Anyway, sometimes those small towns can fix it quick enough and get you on the way for a lower cost than bringing it home. And they have the best breakfasts!

Jazzzed 06-21-2017 03:43 PM

Yeah, if you're going to drop the trans, then get it all done. Clutch, slave. I'd even consider a new rear main seal. The car is 7 years old.