Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wired DRL harness problem on 2012 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192161)

VoodooVyper 12-29-2011 09:11 PM

Wired DRL harness problem on 2012

I recently received the wired drl harness (fieldgoals). A friend of mine (also a mechanic) installed it for me but ran into an issue. He wrote this up to send to the guy who made it, but I figured I'd also post it here in case anyone else had a similar situation:

"I was writing to inquire about you being able to confirm *tested* compatibility on a 2012 Camaro RS. I installed the harness as per the instructions, but am running into issues. With the Ignition off, and the lights on, everything seems to work as intended. The Headlights, Halos, and the DRL all come on together. The problem starts when the car is started. It works for 5 seconds, then the drivers side halo and both the DRL shut off, along with the front side markers. All that is left on is the passenger side Halo. After approx 1 min, all the lights come back on, but the relay for the harness you supplied buzzes constantly. I tried another relay, same thing. I then tested the ground side of the relay control circuit, showed good continuity to ground. Also tried jumping the ground to the battery ground, no effect. Relay still buzzes. I then jumped the power side of the relay control to a constant 12v. That will stop the relay from buzzing. The only thing that I can conclude from this is that whatever wire from the stock harness you are using to control the relay, does not supply a sufficient constant 12v. I realize that you have advertized this for all models, but I wasn't sure if you had been able to verify on a 2012 model that it works. Please let me know if you have any insight into whats going on here. Thanks."

Ph4r 12-30-2011 06:53 AM

He should have put a diode across the relay coil wires to prevent backflow from the PWM Signal.

The Stig 12-30-2011 07:10 AM

:popcorn:

hypurone 12-30-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph4r (Post 4237505)
He should have put a diode across the relay coil wires to prevent backflow from the PWM Signal.

The harness is supposed to handle all that and if it doesn't, :paddle:...

The less expensive Adaptive harness is all inclusive and works just fine without any additional diodes required or any splicing and I can't imagine that Fieldgoal00's isn't designed to be all inclusive....

asprex 01-06-2012 06:41 PM

I have a 2012 and am having the same problem with this harness. Anyone have the fix for this.

Neffarious 01-07-2012 02:57 AM

That is bad news. I have my harness standing by for when I install my break ducts.

fastlane2010 01-07-2012 06:09 AM

it must be something with the 2012 because on my 2010 it works great i have the same harness just asking he did get the power right from the fuse block power right

NVMYSS 01-08-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph4r (Post 4237505)

I'm glad you know how my harness was designed. Actually you don't need a diode because we are not using the PWM signal to power anything in our harness, in fact we do not tie into the PWM signal anywhere. Out of over 500 harnesses that have been sold, there have been two with this problem and it just so happens that both were on a 2012. Therefore everyone wants to jump to conclusions that my harness
does not work on a 2012 model, it's funny though because when I don't have a GB to sell these harnesses I have people begging me to sell them one and they will pay almost twice the price. If you think for one second that I am selling you a harness that will not work on a specific vehicle then you are greatly uninformed and need to go back and do your homework.

VoodooVyper 01-25-2012 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the harness back today, noticed a diode across the relay. Will install this week once I'm over this illness and post results.

jdenotter 01-25-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypurone (Post 4238003)

The less expensive Adaptive harness is all inclusive and works just fine without any additional diodes required or any splicing and I can't imagine that Fieldgoal00's isn't designed to be all inclusive....

Hate to bust ya bubble. But adapative's pos harness doesn't work for my car. Alot of people have had issues with it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NVMYSS 02-01-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypurone (Post 4238003)

We originally did not use any diodes in our harnesses, only relays to prevent backfeed issues. The reason we are now using a diode relay is not to prevent backfeed issues but because on the 2012 and up Camaro's the PWM signal is getting increasingly stronger for some reason and actually causing regular 12v Relays to fail, not only was this becoming an issue in the AUTO mode portion of our harness, but even in the relay that was being supplied from a pure 12v source on the car. We have now fixed this issue with the use of a diode relay.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...87#post4410587

VoodooVyper 02-13-2012 09:14 PM

Sorry for the later response, I haven't had a chance to install with being sick and catching up on everything.

Installed the harness today with the diode and everything works as it should.

cntryman77 04-17-2014 06:07 AM

Wired DRL harness problem on 2012

glad I found this...I have a 2010 & I built my own harness...everything works fine most of the time....except on occasion I get this lights go out/come back on & relay buzz...I'll have to switch to a diode relay & see if it fixes the issue...I just happen to have one at home...I'm assuming it's something to do with the power from the side marker that works as a sensor wire for the relay as stated in the first post