View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #93
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Actually it's not kinda silly. Obviously there are safeguards and a cooling system for the battery, however if one gets too hot because of a breakdown in one of the systems keeping it cool, then kaboom.. Or perhaps an accident hitting a heated battery causing an explosion. These are legitimate concerns I have. Crash test ratings only look at specific crashes at 40mph. We will not know of these dangers until these vehicles hit the road.

I hear ya. However even with the incentives, it is still very expensive outright. I understand the savings however how much will a new battery cost once its charge is half of what it used to be? What will that make your investment worth in a trade in? At the moment, the numbers don't add up. People who buy a Volt will not be saving money.. Hopefully we can get there with cheaper pricing and a battery replacement program that's affordable etc.. I just don't like an overpriced car already with an incentive paid for by our taxpaying pockets simply because the majority of people in the free market does not want buy one.

I was interested in buying one of these however I will wait to see how reliable they are and what the trade in value's of them will be in a few years. That should be a good indicator of what's to come..
You are worried about the battery exploding, yet have no concern about gas tank in nearly every single car? Gasoline is far more dangerous than lithium ion batteries.

As for the battery longevity, its my understanding that there should be minimal degradation over the first 10 years since it will only use roughly half its capacity on a regular basis. This preserves the battery and provides a buffer as it slowly losses capacity
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote