View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
I know everyone is excited for the performance of this new A10, but it's still no substitute for a manual or dual-clutch on a track, unless that track is a strip. Notice just like last time with the A8, the only stat that was touted as being better than the dual-clutch is up-shifts. No mention of it beating the dual-clutch in down-shifts or paddle shifts. It's efficiency is it's best advantage over the manual or the A8 with the extra overdrive gear and lower parasitic losses. That could very well translate to avoiding the GG tax.
With respect...I've been in it. Witnessed the paddle shifts, as have several other members of the automotive press. It's astonishing how quick it is to respond to paddles. Instantaneous.

The rest of the information about overdrive and higher efficiencies is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Frankly...until they become cheaper...I have no interest in a GOOD dual-clutch transmission...or the compromises that come with most of them on the street. If this new A10 can deal with the heat of a track day (the one in Nevada did), and avoids the GG tax? I'm all in.