View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #37
elsololobo02

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Again, agree with you completely. Data input is what it is but I do feel the numbers define a fairly accurate baseline. Again the metrics don't take every aspect into account. The basline data here is the 2013 LS. Understand that the SS nor the Zl1 have stock 600 Bhp and they probably never will, at stock. The cost comparison was soley based on overall dealership prices/ total price by 1 HP unit. Which in general is a fair metric.

What the numbers really can't/don't account for is reliability/predicatability. Most of all math can reach the same conclusions through 3-4 different ways of calculating. You use Bhp (no parasitic loss) in your calcs and in all reality it is RWHP is the power actually making it to the wheels. The average percentage used is 15% on a manual and 20% on a auto for loss through the drivetrain. Loss between the crankshaft and the entire drivetrain to include gearing, condition of lubricants, mass of rotating parts, manual or automatic transmission, generator, water pump and other auxiliaries are to be included.

I do know for $32K I can own a SS that I can run hard and it will be reliable as for $23K a V6 will do the same. And I can up the HP well beyond what any V6 is capable of at a resonable price/HP price point. Heck there are some V8 SS guys making 1000+ and there is no V6 Camaro making numbers anywhere near that. I know that is the extreme but for good price point data go here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38022

Not trying to get into a pissing match as I too also own a FI V6, but at the end of the day the V8 will make more HP than a V6, in the end. X/Y/Z diagrams can show exactly where the equallibrium point is and how much it will cost. I think the numbers I have posted and you have posted pretty much show that a person will spend $23K on top of a base LS to get where you are at...532RWHP ish. But how reliable is that number going to be?? Most V6 people getting above 440RWHP ish are melting pistons, blowing gaskets among other things.

My hat is truly off to you! I hope you find solutions to you limitations and are able to reach the 600HP mark whether it be at the crank or the wheels! Simply just trying to help out a 20 year old kid (OP) that got some sort of inheritance to invest his money, if he decides to go down the modding path to get the most out of his money and be reliable.

Last edited by elsololobo02; 02-17-2013 at 10:51 PM.
elsololobo02 is offline   Reply With Quote