View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Camaro team's response to concern about Transmission Output Shaft Failure

We bring you a message from Mr. John Fitzpatrick (aka Fbodfather 2.0) regarding the community's concern about potential output shaft failure:
Quote:
I understand over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, the Camaro output shaft topic heated up. We understand the members' passion and concern for this issue as it involves a major powertrain component. Rest assured, everyone on the Camaro team takes these issues very seriously, but there is some confusion regarding this matter that we would like to try to clear up.

As many of the members know, we started to receive warranty claim reports in June of this year regarding output shaft failures on Camaro SS models with manual transmissions. When we noticed a spike in claims, a review was initiated to determine the root cause for the failure. This review is common practice for us, and usually takes a number weeks to complete. Since we did not immediately know the root cause, we did slow the shipments of Camaro SS models from Oshawa for a couple of weeks until the review was completed.

At the end of the review, we concluded the probability of a customer experiencing an output shaft failure under normal driving conditions are very low (or - if you are into engineer speak, "below tolerance"). In fact, even in the most extreme driving condition, the probability of failure does not significantly change.

Ideally, we would like to say that there is no chance a failure under any driving condition will occur. We know this is not possible since every car - regardless of manufacturer - has some probability of a part failing. In the case of Camaro, we believe the probability is very low. We have such confidence in the low probability that we back it up by providing the industry best's powertrain warranty - 100,000 miles or 5 years, which includes roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. If the powertrain part fails due to a defect in our workmanship or material, we'll correct the issue regardless of the number of owners a particular Camaro may have during that period.

Hopefully this will provide a little more insight from our perspective on this topic.

Sincerely,

John Fitzpatrick
Marketing Manager - Chevy Performance Cars
Additional info:
Quote:
C5.com: What is considered "normal" and "extreme" driving conditions?
John F.: I would think "normal" is pretty self evident...If you are competitively racing the car, that would be considered "extreme" driving.

C5.com: What happens if I modify my car and it breaks?
John F.:
Hopefully, customers are using GM Parts for their modifications. If they are, these parts are also covered by warranty. Each case needs to be reviewed on its own merit to determine whether the warranty would cover a failure. If the failure is directly traced to the modification, then the warranty would not cover the issue.

Thank you, John.

And "Thank you" to everyone who's raised concern on this relatively confusing topic.

So here's the ground rules, folks:

• Don't troll. I'm well aware a few of you will not be satisfied with this response...that's your prerogative, but please don't post repetitive negative messages.
  • I've closed all the other M6/output shaft threads. I'd like the tail-end of this topic to be concentrated in here.
  • Feel free to ask questions you're still unclear about. They care about their customers, and Camaro5 is the perfect place to ask your questions surrounding this issue. BUT; Try to do so in a respectful manner, and please understand you may not get an answer.