Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
20camaro12

Drives: 2012 45th anniv. Convertible SS LS3
Talking SLP VS CAI inc.

I have been doing sooooo much research on just a cold air intake system that I have no popped my head. I am only interested in one of two systems, the SLP cold air instake system (not blackwing) or the CAI inc intake system. I saw the post on the independent dyno, and it shows CAI being higher than the SLP, but I am confused because it says SLP Stage II. ALSO, if the CAI is pulling the air from the exact same place as the SLP system is, wouldn't the numbers represent almost the same thing? I mean SLP put the intake down in the well itself, and has a very unrestrictive pipe system. So I am torn between the CAI system or SLP system WITH the ADM Scoop. SLP is fully certified and backed by GM, you shouldn't go wrong with them right? Any real input from users from either system would be greatly appreciated. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/chevy.gif
20camaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Well.. i have the Cold Air Inductions, and love it. Was my very first mod. Now contemplating adding the scoop to it.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
There are many factors involved besides where the air is coming from. Below is a link to an article for you. GM puts their "stamp of approval" (GMPP) on some aftermarket parts but that is only an indication that a manufacturer applied for it, not that their parts are significantly better than anything else on the market. It is just about marketing.

What Is The Best Air Intake System For The Camaro SS?

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 10-30-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
EricSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20camaro12 View Post
I have been doing sooooo much research on just a cold air intake system that I have no popped my head. I am only interested in one of two systems, the SLP cold air instake system (not blackwing) or the CAI inc intake system. I saw the post on the independent dyno, and it shows CAI being higher than the SLP, but I am confused because it says SLP Stage II. ALSO, if the CAI is pulling the air from the exact same place as the SLP system is, wouldn't the numbers represent almost the same thing? I mean SLP put the intake down in the well itself, and has a very unrestrictive pipe system. So I am torn between the CAI system or SLP system WITH the ADM Scoop. SLP is fully certified and backed by GM, you shouldn't go wrong with them right? Any real input from users from either system would be greatly appreciated. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/images/smilies/chevy.gif
I was having the same debate until a few days ago. The SLP system is still the "Blackwing," its just the full CAI and not just the elbow and filter. The full system is the system that Janetty tested. Note the temperature increase on the SLP system.

Also, I have heard rumors of SLPs parts being "GM certified" but I have seen no evidence that SLP's aftermarket parts are backed by GM, whatsoever and there is definitely nothing that indicates such on their warranty or GM's warranty. If you buy an SLP intake and install it, I don't think GM will think of it any differently than if you put on an Injen.

I am a long-time SLP fan - I had a 2000 SLP SS Camaro, but the two things that steered me towards the CAI (besides just the HP) are the temperature readings from the Janetty test as well as the filter location. I assume the location of the filter on the SLP system significantly increases the risk of hydrolock, which is a major concern for me.
EricSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Cold Air Inductions, hands down. The ADM Scoop also ehances C.A.I. which is already at the top.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote