Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #1387
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Memories.....

I am actually considering getting a "SHUNT" license plate.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:31 PM   #1388
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
Is there a short version of this thread? I don't want to read 100 pages to find out what shunt means...
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #1389
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
Is there a short version of this thread? I don't want to read 100 pages to find out what shunt means...
It is so worth it, though.

There's a story.

And emotions.

And mystery.

Revelations and lots and lots of................. ................ ..... ..........periods.

EDIT: seriously though...this thread dates back to before the 2010 car was released. It's gold. Long live Shunt, the Weasel, and Fbodfather.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #1390
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
It's a rite of passage in a camaro5 member's life, you must read the whole thing

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #1391
Irace16

Dammit!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #1392
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
In the electrical engineering sense, a shunt is an electrical conductor joining two points of a circuit, through which more or less of a current may be diverted. It's a circuit that can block or switch between two other circuits. We'll get back to that later.

The whole thread started with a picture of an IVER of the 5th gen Camaro, way back in 2007 or 2008. IVER - another engineering acronym standing for Integration Vehicle Engineering Response. These are the prototypes built before the prototypes. They are the FIRST handbuilt iterations of what would eventually become the 5th gen Camaro.

Being that they were hand built with not so much as a model designation, many components on them were new, untested, never produced. Everything from fuel rails, electrical, drivetrain, and accessories were new and put together literally by hand with a lot of hand made stuff at the RenCen.

So these IVERs were spotted in public driven by GM test engineers, by people anticipating the new Camaro (keep in mind, at this time the Camaro itself hadn't been produced since 2002, so the anticipation was real). These IVERs had the general shape of what was going to be the real Camaro, but as also camouflaged as you would expect. One topic these cars had that was famously and hilariously discussed in this forum, they did not have what would be the real, production headlights

Someone took a picture of an IVER's interior and it had a large red button on top of the dash just like an emergency stop button, with a large sticker that said "SHUNT IN TRUNK" in big bold black letters.

That is exactly what the shunt is for on these cars. If they're driving it and something starts to smoke, or spew fuel, or parts fall off, or the window goes down when they put the radio on, they simply smash the shunt button and it kills the entire car. Electrical, fuel, everything.

So, in the end, everyone thought fbodfather shoved shunt in the trunk because he might rat out the fbodfather. And the story just expanded from there. The National Guard, UFOs, Rambo, and the 101st Airborne were involved on the case too. 100+ pages later the thread lives on in infamy.

No doubt the most fun I've ever had on an internet forum. This thread is epic. You HAVE to read every page. Some great memories from 10 years ago on this..... if there was an internet hall of fame, that thread would have to be one of the inaugural inductees!

Also, keep in mind: this 100 page thread is an ADDENDUM to the OTHER 100+ page thread that was the ORIGINAL!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #1393
Mr. Wyndham

Old 04-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #1394
Irace16

Thanks, I'll read it next week, I'm laid up with a shattered knee, can't do anything anyways
Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #1395
fastball
Banned

Just realized not only were there almost 1400 responses on this thread, but over 114,000 views!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1396
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
I'll bet Shunt's girlfriend caught him cheating.
Attached Images

Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #1397
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
TL : DR
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #1398
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
In the electrical engineering sense, a shunt is an electrical conductor joining two points of a circuit, through which more or less of a current may be diverted. It's a circuit that can block or switch between two other circuits. We'll get back to that later.

The whole thread started with a picture of an IVER of the 5th gen Camaro, way back in 2007 or 2008. IVER - another engineering acronym standing for Integration Vehicle Engineering Response. These are the prototypes built before the prototypes. They are the FIRST handbuilt iterations of what would eventually become the 5th gen Camaro.

Being that they were hand built with not so much as a model designation, many components on them were new, untested, never produced. Everything from fuel rails, electrical, drivetrain, and accessories were new and put together literally by hand with a lot of hand made stuff at the RenCen.

So these IVERs were spotted in public driven by GM test engineers, by people anticipating the new Camaro (keep in mind, at this time the Camaro itself hadn't been produced since 2002, so the anticipation was real). These IVERs had the general shape of what was going to be the real Camaro, but as also camouflaged as you would expect. One topic these cars had that was famously and hilariously discussed in this forum, they did not have what would be the real, production headlights

Someone took a picture of an IVER's interior and it had a large red button on top of the dash just like an emergency stop button, with a large sticker that said "SHUNT IN TRUNK" in big bold black letters.

That is exactly what the shunt is for on these cars. If they're driving it and something starts to smoke, or spew fuel, or parts fall off, or the window goes down when they put the radio on, they simply smash the shunt button and it kills the entire car. Electrical, fuel, everything.

So, in the end, everyone thought fbodfather shoved shunt in the trunk because he might rat out the fbodfather. And the story just expanded from there. The National Guard, UFOs, Rambo, and the 101st Airborne were involved on the case too. 100+ pages later the thread lives on in infamy.

No doubt the most fun I've ever had on an internet forum. This thread is epic. You HAVE to read every page. Some great memories from 10 years ago on this..... if there was an internet hall of fame, that thread would have to be one of the inaugural inductees!

Also, keep in mind: this 100 page thread is an ADDENDUM to the OTHER 100+ page thread that was the ORIGINAL!
Anybody have a link to the original Shunt thread???
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #1399
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Memories.....

I am actually considering getting a "SHUNT" license plate.
We actually have one on a Camaro here in Houston.

Here's your IVER

Old 04-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #1400
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We actually have one on a Camaro here in Houston.

Here's your IVER

That's actually a prototype. It has the production wheels and no shunt sticker on the dash but still "not the real headlights" lol...... IVERs came before prototypes and had generic wheels that were mismatched on the car and all had the shunting circuit as a fail safe kill. Without the shunt it tells me the car is well into development.

Those IVERs - ANY IVER that a car company builds - were crude man. Not anything you'd really want to drive. No functioning airbags, undeveloped suspension, shift points and feel nowhere near dialed in. Just a parts bin on wheels used in the very first stages of development.