Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Don't over think it, the HP spread is negligible and you would not feel the difference. Just go with one of the name brands listed in this thread and what looks good to you.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #16
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Ya that list didnt have the Z/28 or the Vararam on it. I think its time to do that test all over again to also include cai not sold on Camaro5.
i think if someone was to do the test again they should add in a track test. i remember a difference above 80 when i went from a vararam to an ADM race. same tune and everything
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
Chazzom

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
Don't over think it, the HP spread is negligible and you would not feel the difference. Just go with one of the name brands listed in this thread and what looks good to you.
Sound advice.
Chazzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #18
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Roto-Fab and Cold Air Induction are more popular ones and are the two that sell the most. The gains between them are minimal. Like most people say, it boils down to your preference in the appearance of the intake. Sealed, not sealed. OEM look, after market look. Price. You cant go wrong with either choice.Let us know if we can be of any assistance......

gabe
Old 12-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
i think if someone was to do the test again they should add in a track test. i remember a difference above 80 when i went from a vararam to an ADM race. same tune and everything
Yes I agree with you. I would like to see a track shootout on a stock car between 5 or 6 of the most popular cai on camaro 5.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Yes I agree with you. I would like to see a track shootout on a stock car between 5 or 6 of the most popular cai on camaro 5.
i did try a basic comparison between the two intakes. i remember the vararam registered a higher manifold pressure and the IAT would register a temp drop faster with the vararam. not sure about the numbers but i'll see if i have the logs.

not sure if i saw a ram air effect happen with the vararam

edit: it actually wasn't really that much of a comparison. they were done on different nights but the ADM couldn't match the manifold pressure or IAT readings that i recorded with the vararam. on a 1-2-3 pull the ADM did not hit ambient temps... and it was coooold.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 12-27-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
Read this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002

Cold Air Inductions is one of the best, thats the one I have.
I love my Cold Air Inductions CAI! Looks amazing and easy to install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post

That is the route I opted to go after seeing the data speak for itself. CAI intake with Janetty race scoop.

Looks awesome and can customize it a bit, I added the Camaro fender lettering to it and enjoy the way it turned out. Both Rotofab and the Z28 look a bit too stock for my preference. If I pop the hood, I want it to stand out and they don't really do it for me.

It all really comes down to preference, the CAI intake nails it in every category for me so that's what I chose and ultimately what I end up recommending to others based off of Janetty's test and my experience with them. The CAI crew are a bunch of awesome guys too, had the pleasure of meeting them at Camaro Fest 7 last year.
Yeah Janetty review is what pushed me towards the CAI as well. Actually, ordered it and the SCT through them as well.

I didn't even think of putting something on the plexiglass top. I will have to get my wife to make me a vinyl for it!

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #22
Gregss1le
Asskicker

Drives: '15 Camaro Blue Velvet Metallic 1le
I also run a CAI, they are also in my backyard.

2015 Camaro 1ss 1le
1991 Camaro LsX-not stock
Gregss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #23
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The vararam being a OTR ,(over the radiator), has a small ram air effect at high speeds which can be nice but requires you tilt your radiator to make it fit BTW......and your radiator has to be the right year for the radiator cap to fit also being that its made for a 10-11 only. Have seen only a couple other OTRs made but I use the CAI for appearance and function and know my air box and scoop could function with a supercharger by using a different coupling to the ceramic coated tube that's good for IAT and for future mods also. Its all in taste for some and others being cheap may result in low gains such as say some companies chromed metal tube etc..... And old threads on here show results for varied induction but not showing the Vararam OTR.....

I have seen some excellent plexiglass cnc eagles and dragons etched into air box lids BTW by plastics co's I know, I have one by me that can do it with just a program..... And Myself have a old inmate in for life who does our trophy cncs with a small cheaper easy system in a dust box in our physical plant office, and he makes all kinds of trophies, plaques, name plates, awards with some awesome stuff like actual little lighted gas pumps and hot rods, plexiglass slabs with engraving and pictures.....and lights to shine through the edges and highlight the work...etc etc heck we sell some times weather stations, misc cool stuff made with exotic woods for our car show to help pay for it and its top dollar lots of bidding...lol . Of course carpenters work here...we are blessed to some times be part of some things that are not just corrections. I am a artistic old fart...LOL Been working overtime a little lately.....
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 AM   #24
silver10ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS (auto/L99)
Thank you everyone for the replies. I feel like if I didn’t have a 2010, CAI would be what I want to go with. However, for those who have said Vararam is best since I have a 2010, can you explain why? (Sorry if that’s a newbie question, I’ve only had the car for about a month)

EDIT: Otherwise it looks like I’m probably going to go with CAI.
silver10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 AM   #25
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
If you cant run OTR Vararam I always recommend RotoFab.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
xc_SS/RS

vararam will not hold as much heat, offers the shortest/straightest path for airflow into the engine, increases throttle response more than a box and cone filter set up, and it will pull harder on the top end.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I like my rotofab
Old 12-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
Pete

Drives: Camaro
Its easy to see these air box types are like a modified stock box you could make yourself and not really providing the shortest and coldest air delivery system like the Vararam does. This was my reasoning back in 2010 when I purchased and installed it. Remember, its when the car is moving what counts, not sitting at a light/dyno. Vararam all day everyday for cars that can accept one to be mounted.

Why do you think these guys are putting "air scoops" on those aftermarket fancy looking factory looking airboxes, trying to do what the Vararam does naturally.

Last edited by Pete; 12-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote