Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #43
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14SlomaroSS View Post
elite engineering has my vote! easy installation, great look, easy to unscrew to dispose!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #44
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcam15 View Post
Which catch can is preferred of highest rated this year for the ss?
Definitely the Elite Engineering E2-X Dual Valve Catch Can! There is a recent install video here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442010, and support from Steve at Elite is awesome!
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #45
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
I would say the best catch can for your 2SS is none!! The car is not direct injected. No need. But hey if it makes you feel better have at it. You could just mount one in the engine bay and not hook it up.
Best advice yet!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #46
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Which catch can do the chicks dig most? If I'm going to fork out dough on a can I want to get the best bang for my buck.
Any can that is shiny.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #47
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcam15 View Post
Which catch can is preferred of highest rated this year for the ss?
Think quantity, not quality. The more the better. I heard new ones were coming out for things like brake fluid and rear axle lube. Don't get left at the altar. Get yours ASAP.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #48
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlem View Post
Think quantity, not quality. The more the better. I heard new ones were coming out for things like brake fluid and rear axle lube. Don't get left at the altar. Get yours ASAP.
I'd like a catch can for my washer fluid. I'm thinking this would prolong the life of my windshield by ensuring only very clean fluid gets sprayed on it.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #49
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
I'd like a catch can for my washer fluid. I'm thinking this would prolong the life of my windshield by ensuring only very clean fluid gets sprayed on it.
Step right up friend, step right up. Catch Cans for windshield washers are now in stock! Right around the corner, to the left. Be the first to put one on your Camaro. Cousin Billy Ray Bob will take you money, right around the corner to the left. Yes sir. That's correct, to the left. No sir, the other left! Just move your fat ass sir, you're holding up the line. Everyone wants one of these now. Move it along.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #50
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
If you don't have one, your wiper motor will explode to pieces.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #51
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
The catch can hate is strong in this thread...

I think Elite has the best setup on their can. I have the Elite E2-X Ultra and really like it.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #52
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
The catch can hate is strong in this thread...

I think Elite has the best setup on their can. I have the Elite E2-X Ultra and really like it.
Yes a bit of a resurrection, but hey I used the search

So I noticed the Elite E2-X has three connections. What is the third one for? Are there two lines going into it or two lines going out to the intake? Most of the others have two (1 in and 1 out), is the additional one really needed if you are catching everything from the PCV?

I know some people seem to be bashing their benefit; however, what is possibly wrong with preventing oil and oil vapors from going back into the intake? Sounds like a good function to me.

Surprised the manufacturers don't include such a setup from the factory.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #53
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
Yes a bit of a resurrection, but hey I used the search

So I noticed the Elite E2-X has three connections. What is the third one for? Are there two lines going into it or two lines going out to the intake? Most of the others have two (1 in and 1 out), is the additional one really needed if you are catching everything from the PCV?

I know some people seem to be bashing their benefit; however, what is possibly wrong with preventing oil and oil vapors from going back into the intake? Sounds like a good function to me.

Surprised the manufacturers don't include such a setup from the factory.

On all the Elite Engineering Catch Cans, the center, top port is always the INLET connection from the crankcase.

So, the only option is the Single EXIT or the Dual EXIT Catch Can.

On a NA engine, during acceleration, the intake manifold vacuum is used as the suction source to evacuate the damaging compounds entering as blow-by from the crankcase before they can settle and mix with the oil.

But, when you accelerate, that vacuum drops to zero and no evacuation takes place. It is during these periods that the water, raw fuel, sulfuric acid, and abrasive soot, carbon, and ash particles settle and mix with the oil, and these cause the wear to the engine.

The Dual Catch Can (second Exit fitting) is used to tap into an alternate evacuation suction source. This source is typically at a location just in front, or upstream of the throttle body. Note: If you do choose to install the Dual Exit (second Exit Port), you will be required to drill into your existing intake tube and insert a hose barb fitting. In addition, we use one-way inline checkvalves to open and close, to always default to the strongest suction source at the time. This provides full time crankcase evacuation instead of only when not accelerating or at wide open throttle (WOT) when no vacuum is present.

Additional comment:
Why does the vacuum drop to zero at WOT? The cam lobes all have overlap. That overlap is when the exhaust valve has not fully closed and the intake valve is starting to open (and vice versa). This allows reversion pulses to travel back up each intake runner and these cancel the vacuum present. This is also the period when pressure builds in the crankcase seeking the path of least resistance, which is backwards through the clean, or fresh side of the PCV system pushing oil and contaminate laden vapors into your main intake air tube assy.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I run the $150 EE catch can

does the job nicely
Old 01-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #55
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

On all the Elite Engineering Catch Cans, the center, top port is always the INLET connection from the crankcase.

So, the only option is the Single EXIT or the Dual EXIT Catch Can.

On a NA engine, during acceleration, the intake manifold vacuum is used as the suction source to evacuate the damaging compounds entering as blow-by from the crankcase before they can settle and mix with the oil.

But, when you accelerate, that vacuum drops to zero and no evacuation takes place. It is during these periods that the water, raw fuel, sulfuric acid, and abrasive soot, carbon, and ash particles settle and mix with the oil, and these cause the wear to the engine.

The Dual Catch Can (second Exit fitting) is used to tap into an alternate evacuation suction source. This source is typically at a location just in front, or upstream of the throttle body. Note: If you do choose to install the Dual Exit (second Exit Port), you will be required to drill into your existing intake tube and insert a hose barb fitting. In addition, we use one-way inline checkvalves to open and close, to always default to the strongest suction source at the time. This provides full time crankcase evacuation instead of only when not accelerating or at wide open throttle (WOT) when no vacuum is present.

Additional comment:
Why does the vacuum drop to zero at WOT? The cam lobes all have overlap. That overlap is when the exhaust valve has not fully closed and the intake valve is starting to open (and vice versa). This allows reversion pulses to travel back up each intake runner and these cancel the vacuum present. This is also the period when pressure builds in the crankcase seeking the path of least resistance, which is backwards through the clean, or fresh side of the PCV system pushing oil and contaminate laden vapors into your main intake air tube assy.

Thanks for the detailed information. Makes perfect sense to me to keep this stuff from getting back into the intake. If they do indeed catch this and keep it from returning who could possibly think that is a bad idea?

I think I would go with the standard catch can. Shame the red isn't Red Hot, guess I could always paint it myself.

Looking over all the options, the braided hose option would be all the hose I would need, correct? So no need for the additional. Even if I went with the standard rubber OEM type hosing, putting it in the standard location there wouldn't be a need for additional?

I had a couple more questions about the check valve and the Clean Side Separator, but your FAQ answered them. I probably wouldn't need that.

Do you clean the can by taking off the bottom, or is there a valve at the bottom like some have? Or is that just with the E2-X which shows the bottom outlet.

Thanks again. I think the elite would be the route I would take as it looks good and seems to be well made.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #56
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
i run the mishimoto catch can and just love it. i did my research and looked at pricing along with mounting location. Also the ability to empty the catch can. i'm happy with mine and i have at it about three months. here are my pics of the install just fyi.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=492144&page=2
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote