Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
Started my cam swap finally

After owning my 5th gen for over 6 years and having paid it off some time ago I finally started my cam/heads swap. I'm doing a cam motion low lash solid roller, 234/236 113+3. I will be taking the heads to Frankenstein for portwork and milling. I pulled the engine completely out and put it on a stand because the oil pan has been leaking for a long time and it seemed like a good time to change it. I'm also thinking about painting the block chevy orange for an old school look.

I measured piston to valve clearance at .100 on the intake side which is more than I expected to have. I have heard the safe minimum for a hyd roller is .080. Does the same hold true for a solid roller? I will be using btr .660 platinum springs. I would like to mill the heads a little to bump the compression a little if possible.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #2
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
nice suprised you got it out with the hood still on
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
nice suprised you got it out with the hood still on
Me too! That's a tight squeeze, good work
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you should be asking a professional about what to do god help you if your wrong this is the place people post when they go boom or never come back after they screw up, and yes milling your heads.....that will decrease your PTV clearance of course unless you use a fatter gasket...which well not always the best thing to do and the difference in compression making power for even a point bump is not that worth it...say 5 hp really and frankly I would not go LLSR read up on the post by the other guy who just had his Camaro done up on this page without llsr....unless your into to having a garage queen...what is it with white car driving guys...... And while having a good porting job done by Frankenstein may be the bees knees the results cost$$$$ just some things to think of, maintenance overtime ...usage mines a daily cant sit down for long at all, checked long ago for differences in heads performances bought simple GMPP factory CNC for now until someday small bore ls7...and have seen them done up right by Frankenstein but frankly porting is not exactly brain surgery.

Sure with LLSR done up good a cam you don't list the lift on you should reach over 500 rwhp...... The thing is its always been a stupid thing to hide the specs of a cam on here like its gold to me its hilarious as if its top secret.... anyway that's IMO

And not knowing the miles on it; a monster lt1s clutch is the bees knees and uses the stock slave and fits their billet bearing support and after putting on eon my car and comparing it to POS mecleod rattling like F my tuner the best of west starting going on a real like of Monster clutches with my help.... drives like stock can handle true 700 rwhp/tq and dual disc.... oh and I do break ins with driven racing br30........hope you know things like how to degree a cam and stuff like 1.7 x .047 = .077 for true movement after zero lash if done up one turn..which for most lifters= too much and too noisey and ready to trash cam if one turn.... stuff to think over. Good Luck we cannot look like into your mind to know what you know..... things are complex. ANd don't forget some nice bushing trunnions and ls2/7 dogbone....etc
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
FACE-PALM.. I wish people like you who have never ran a Low Lash Solid would stop posting what its like to own one. Ive had mine in the car for 25k miles. Most of that with stock rocker arms and on my latest rebuild i switched to shaft mount. The springs tested out perfectly fine and werent worn at all with .650 lift on a .660 spring but i changed them since i was there. Oh and i checked lash every 6k miles just to prove a point.... It didnt change and i drove and beat on it DAILY..

OP youll love the low lash for sure. I did opt to run a thicker oil myself after ditching the hydraulic lifters. Low lash does allow a tighter tolerance on PTV but id always call kip just to see what his preference is. Personally didnt mill my heads as i was already planning on boost.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
greenmachinedriver

Thanks for the replies, I plan on talking to cam motion about the p to v. Thinking I might leave it alone. Sorry I wasn't trying to hide my cam specs. I just didn't think anyone cared lol. I don't have the cam card in front of me but it's. 630 .640 if I remember right. I did a lot of research before choosing a llsr cam and talked to a few shops and have heard very little negative. I'm sure everyone's experience is different. Keeping my fingers crossed mine will be good. Funny you mention the monster clutch, I put in a lt1s about 6 months ago. It's awesome, so much better feel and holding with a light pedal effort.

Last edited by greenmachinedriver; 01-16-2018 at 08:36 AM.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
greenmachinedriver

Punisher, what oil are you using? I also plan on using stock rockers, any advise? Why did you end up switching to shaft mounts?

Last edited by greenmachinedriver; 01-16-2018 at 08:38 AM.
greenmachinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Punisher_ATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
Punisher, what oil are you using? I also plan on using stock rockers, any advise? Why did you end up switching to shaft mounts?
I run a 15-40 Rotella in my car. Depending on what lifters you chose you will need an odd length pushrod. I suggest NOT getting in a rush on setting lash lol. You may need to order a different set of pushrods to get you closer in the ballpark as you want to shim as minimal as possible. I cut my pedistals into pairs and shimmed pair by pair. I know i used the morel tie bar lifters and needed like an 8.125 pushrod. PM me if you have any questions or need help.

BTW reason i switched is i got the shafts for free and after spending hours setting lash with stock rockers i didnt feel like doing that again. But it was not from a failure. I turned it to 7500 regularly and the rockers held up fine.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I am very interested in this. The higher revs, reliability of the lifters, quieter valvetrain all sound like great benefits...that, IMHO, outweigh the occasional maintenance they require.

Question though. Will this work on a VVT engine? No DoD, just VVT.

When I do my cam I really do not want to give up the VVT and am hoping this will work. I don't see why it won't, but figured I would ask.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
Punisher_ATX

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I am very interested in this. The higher revs, reliability of the lifters, quieter valvetrain all sound like great benefits...that, IMHO, outweigh the occasional maintenance they require.

Question though. Will this work on a VVT engine? No DoD, just VVT.

When I do my cam I really do not want to give up the VVT and am hoping this will work. I don't see why it won't, but figured I would ask.
AFAIK you cannot keep VVT with a LLSR cam.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
greenmachinedriver

Anybody want to give me a free set of shaft mount rockers? If lashing the valves gets to be a pita I will try and get a set of shaft mounts.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
they aren't adjustable, but could you use the yella terra 1.85 rockers with an LLSR cam? Cam specs would be tailored to the 1.85 rockers vs 1.7.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
Punisher_ATX

I wouldnt. They have a bad reliability rep as it is and you dont want to shim a shaft mount rocker. You can with stockers as they are Pedestal mount.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
greenmachinedriver

Finally made some real progress on my build. Frankenstein did the heads and I got it all put back together and it's back in the car now. I'm waiting on my ecu to come back with a base tune and I'll be ready to make some noise. I was held up by a set of valve springs i i ordered on black Friday that took forever to ship.
The guys at Frankenstein took good care of me, they actually came by my house to pick up my heads and had them done in 2 weeks. Stage 1 porting, valve job and milled .020.
I'll try and get a video up as soon as I get it running
Attached Images