Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
airborne header coating vs jet hot

I am thinking of getting a set of KOOKS header for my ZL1 and I want them coated sliver . Airborne coating is literally half the cost of Jet Hot . Dose anyone know why ?
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Coat-This

Drives: 2019 ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
I am thinking of getting a set of KOOKS header for my ZL1 and I want them coated sliver . Airborne coating is literally half the cost of Jet Hot . Dose anyone know why ?
If by silver, you mean "polished silver", don't waste your time. Polished ceramic is not rated for supercharged applications and many more for that matter. You need a high temp ceramic rated at 1800F - 2000F+.
Coat-This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
this is what i had my headers coated with:

https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/fin...glacier-black/

that's what you should get for sure. polished ceramic coatings would not last in the heat your engine could generate. you don't want to have them coated and then need to redo it down the line because it burned off
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
kinpin
618 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
this is what i had my headers coated with:

https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/fin...glacier-black/

that's what you should get for sure. polished ceramic coatings would not last in the heat your engine could generate. you don't want to have them coated and then need to redo it down the line because it burned off
How long have you had them on ? do it matter what color ?
Did you send them your headers or did you order them already done some where ?
How hot is the coating rated for ?

Thank you
Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
How long have you had them on ? do it matter what color ?
Did you send them your headers or did you order them already done some where ?
How hot is the coating rated for ?

Thank you
Coating is rated for 2,000 degrees or higher. I went with the Glacier Black as I wanted overkill on the coating. the Glacier Silver is rated for the same temps.

I've had them on the car for about a year and the color has stayed the same. if i wipe them down it goes back to a nice deep black. normally they look king of grey-ish from the dirt and dust. Bottom of the collectors still look great as well, a few scratches but nothing serious (no peeling).

I dropped the headers off here: http://coatingsusa.com/
Great people, and they told me they would recoat them for next to nothing if I ever take the headers off. they also did the insides of the pipes which is where most of the impact is made.

make sure whoever coats the headers for you does the inside of each primary. most places i talked to said they will hit what they can but didn't guarantee full coverage
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
kinpin
618 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Coating is rated for 2,000 degrees or higher. I went with the Glacier Black as I wanted overkill on the coating. the Glacier Silver is rated for the same temps.

I've had them on the car for about a year and the color has stayed the same. if i wipe them down it goes back to a nice deep black. normally they look king of grey-ish from the dirt and dust. Bottom of the collectors still look great as well, a few scratches but nothing serious (no peeling).

I dropped the headers off here: http://coatingsusa.com/
Great people, and they told me they would recoat them for next to nothing if I ever take the headers off. they also did the insides of the pipes which is where most of the impact is made.

make sure whoever coats the headers for you does the inside of each primary. most places i talked to said they will hit what they can but didn't guarantee full coverage
Thank you
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I had mine done by these guys in NC. https://www.calicocoatings.com/coati...ramic-coating/