Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Any new info. I am in thhe same boat as you with a failing engine. Curious what they found.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #30
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Well, after 6 long months, I finally got my beast back, complete with a brand new, forged 416 stroker and rebuilt clutch, courtesy of Jay Healy of Kraftworks/Excel Auto Sport.

To recap, I originally took it there to see if he could figure out my hot start issues and why it wasn't making the power it should (SC belt slip, for one thing). After finding some bad grounds and running it on the dyno, however, he noticed some unusual noises coming from the bottom of the engine. While I (And the engine builder, Total Engine Concepts--avoid these guys!) thought it was just typical valvetrain noise, Jay insisted it was my rod bearings going bad. Sure enough, he was right (see pic of one of them below)--unbelievable that after just 8K miles (all street-driven, mind you), my rebuilt and forged motor went to sh*t and the builder would not take responsibility! They also showed me my clutch, which was pretty worn out. They recommended an RPS tripple-disk, but I was already WAAAAAAY over-budget, so I just had Monster rebuild my LT1-SC twin. Maybe down the road, I'll upgrade when funds are available...

In the end though, Jay and his team did an excellent job--no more belt slip (no other changes, except for a new belt), no hot start issues. The car runs great and made more power than I was looking for (I just wanted 700 rwhp, but got 755; I was at 620 before). However, all that time sitting out in the elements took a toll on my paint job, as I noticed some clearcoat oxidation in some spots. Fortunately, my good friend John (s/n "fif_gen_powa") was able to come through and get it looking great again with a 1-stage paint correction. He even got my welds polished and looking like new again. Thanks again, brotha!
Attached Images

Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq

Last edited by fldrummer; 02-27-2018 at 09:14 AM.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #31
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
That's awesome. Will you be taking it to the track this year?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
That's awesome. Will you be taking it to the track this year?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
We'll see. I'm not much of a track guy and it's gonna take me a while to put on the 1000 break-in miles that Jay recommended, since I don't DD it anymore. By the time that happens, it'll likely be the height of summer heat. We only have a couple more months of good track weather left before then, here in South-Florida. :/
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote