Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
First Time TracK Day Quesitons

Hi Everyone,

Thank your for the responses back on my helmet question. I think i have settled on the Racequip PRO15. a few more questions i was looking for guidance on.

1) Suggestions for action camera during track day. * I do have the HUD is anyone filming the HUD? i'm looking to avoid buying a GoPro 5 with GPS to record speed and instead use a cheaper amazon 4k camera without GPS. Also, how are people rigging their cameras with or w/o HUD?

2) This is more technical section related but for brake bleeding with new DOT 4, any recommendations on brake bleeder kits to accomplish this ?

3) I am looking to Uhaul trailer my car to the track. I have seen arguments both for and against this working. Any definitive arguments out there ?

4) Gloves? are they necessary ? Will i look like a tool showing up at my first track event with them ?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I guess I'll be the first to reply. I won't give the best answers though, but here we go:

1. I use a suction cup to affix my iPhone the windshield next to the rear view mirror. I use an app that records the speed and at that location it is also not blocking my view. You get a pretty good view of the hood and a lot of track.

2. I do it the old fashion way- sorry no help there.

3. I aways drive myself- also no help for you.

4. I prefer to wear gloves, I do in the summer as well. I have some very thin leather gloves from BMW that have an excellent feel and grip, like a second skin. I like the sweat resistance properties and additional layer. Unlike Chris Harris I always wear long sleeves too, so I don't look that silly. I have a very light jacket that I wear in the summer for track days.
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
1) go pro or SJCAM 5000 or newer, suction cup mount should be good.

2) this is what I used, also Castrol SRF:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=907
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=908

You won’t need a tech 2 but it is helpful...

3) I drive mine to and from the track. If a local track, I have a set of wheels/tires for that otherwise, my ZL1 wheels and factory Goodyear’s.

4) Good helmet, I prefer open face SNELL SA 2015 rated:

http://www.gforce.com/product/gf1-op...-black-sa2015/

Shop around, you can get a better price.

If your first time, don’t worry about the other things, race what you have and once you know where you’re at, add equipment then.

Just enjoy it. Outside of helmet and brake fluid, just check fluids, tires, brake condition... usual items — and bring a torque wrench and socket for lug nuts...ck torque before/after every session and a good tire gauge... ck pressures before/after every session also..there are others. Ck the road racing section, should have stickies there...

And most importantly, have fun....

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
You are wasting your time trailering your car to the track for your first track day with a "street" car. Its not necessary.
As far as gloves go its not necessary either unless you feel you get better grip with them on.
Go do your first track day and concentrate on what the instructor tells you in the car as well as what the teacher discusses in the classroom. Be prepared to have the best time you have ever had and the start of an addiction.

I just looked at your other thread and realized your going to the same event as me. I always run with HOD they are a great group. If you want to PM me to drive up together you pass right by my house en route to Pocono. If not look for me at the track. I have a white Z28 and will be with a black Z28 and a white 15 1LE. Good luck and have fun!
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeZ28 View Post
You are wasting your time trailering your car to the track for your first track day with a "street" car. Its not necessary.
As far as gloves go its not necessary either unless you feel you get better grip with them on.
Go do your first track day and concentrate on what the instructor tells you in the car as well as what the teacher discusses in the classroom. Be prepared to have the best time you have ever had and the start of an addiction.

I just looked at your other thread and realized your going to the same event as me. I always run with HOD they are a great group. If you want to PM me to drive up together you pass right by my house en route to Pocono. If not look for me at the track. I have a white Z28 and will be with a black Z28 and a white 15 1LE. Good luck and have fun!
I agree here for your first track day. I'm definitely not a veteran on track day, but go and see and learn. Probably 95% of the people there will take the time to talk with you and answer questions. Once you get a couple events under your belt, and have more confidence, you will know what you need.

I can go either way with gloves. If they fit well, and you can feel what the car is telling you, why not. if they are too thick, and you can't grip well, or they don't fit well and worse, you cannot interpret what the car is telling you it is wanting to do... don't wear them. For your first day on the track, may want to skip them and focus on the instructor.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Flush the brake fluid with a high temp fluid like Motul 600 and look at the amount of brake pad left. Make sure you have at least 1/2 tire life. Do a general check of suspension pieces. Perform a oil change and possibly change the differential oil. No need to trailer for a first track day. Have fun, stay hydrated, listen to your instructor, and don’t try to hard to go fast. Concentrate on your racing line, braking points, and unwinding the wheel in the corner. You will love it!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Turns out i probably wont trailer, going through a rough patch with my truck. Honestly i only wanted to trailer to avoid any tire issues on the way to the track.

Unfortunately, i went to measure my tread depth last night on the rears only to find a nail in the tire. Just put my order in for 2 new rear tires. Now i am even more concerned with picking up a nail on my way to the track. I am on the lookout now for a cheap set of OEM take-off wheels and tires to drive to the track on.

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 View Post
Turns out i probably wont trailer, going through a rough patch with my truck. Honestly i only wanted to trailer to avoid any tire issues on the way to the track.

Unfortunately, i went to measure my tread depth last night on the rears only to find a nail in the tire. Just put my order in for 2 new rear tires. Now i am even more concerned with picking up a nail on my way to the track. I am on the lookout now for a cheap set of OEM take-off wheels and tires to drive to the track on.
I've done 2 track days with a patched OEM tire. No need to go nuts with buying new tires.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 View Post
Hi Everyone,

4) Gloves? are they necessary ? Will i look like a tool showing up at my first track event with them ?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Necessary, No. But I always wear them. Prevents my sweating hands from slipping off the wheel or shift knob.

I have really expensive Stand21 Gloves, but for Track Days, I like these Cheap Pilot Gloves - Nomex & Leather

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-NOMEX...MAAOxyg6BR00ZO
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote