Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #29
13SSCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Very nice, good numbers, that is where I want to be with mine
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
13SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #30
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
Ok just got it back. Made 470/414 on a Mustang dyno. Cam is a 231/244. Drove it 83 miles back to my house. I love the sound. didnt get a chance to really get in it but on the freeway it was smooth as silk

My best time before cam and heads was 11.87 @ 114 on 17" bogarts, ET Streets, and skinnies up front

12.10 @ 112 on factory 20" wheels

Only mods then
LT's
CAI
Full 3" Catless exhaust
CatchCan
Tune

On a Dynojet that made 428RWHP 422RWTQ

Hopefully now with cam and heads and 3.91 gears she can get into the low 11's or maybe a 10.99
Interesting. Maybe my numbers weren't too far off then! Glad it's back and running great! Will be curious to see what it runs.

I had never heard of the 12% difference you mentioned, but I like my numbers more that way!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #31
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
Interesting. Maybe my numbers weren't too far off then! Glad it's back and running great! Will be curious to see what it runs.

I had never heard of the 12% difference you mentioned, but I like my numbers more that way!
mustang dynos are "heart breaker" dynos

they read low (or dynojets read high) depending on how you look at it

i just need the dyno to tell me when to shift

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #32
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:

was your before and after on the same dyno?

Bone Stock
Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #33
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
mustang dynos are "heart breaker" dynos

they read low (or dynojets read high) depending on how you look at it

i just need the dyno to tell me when to shift

Yeah, I knew it was going to be low. However, he has had quite a few come through that put down what I would have expected on a DJ dyno, so it's hit or miss. Having a similar camaro with stock heads and smaller cam put down 30+ rwhp more than me was the heart breaking part.

And as for telling me when to shift..my peak HP on the dyno is at like 55-5600. So he left my rev limiter stock. Figured it would want to shift before 6k. However, after taking it out for some fun last weekend after switching exhaust..imma have to get that raised up! I hit it a few times with ease, this car is begging for revs! Seems to be happy shifting at ~6500. But on dyno it sounded like it was going to blow up.

Quote:
was your before and after on the same dyno?

They were both on same dyno. That was part of the surprising results. Going from 385 to 453 isn't bad, until you realize 15-20 of that could have been picked up on the base run with a tune. So gaining 48-53rwhp from the TSP stage 3 and ported heads isn't quite what I was hoping for.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #34
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
They were both on same dyno. That was part of the surprising results. Going from 385 to 453 isn't bad, until you realize 15-20 of that could have been picked up on the base run with a tune. So gaining 48-53rwhp from the TSP stage 3 and ported heads isn't quite what I was hoping for.
Well, its a known fact that the stock LS3 intake manifold restricts aftermarket cams past 6500. I know the cam i just got installed will make power past 7 and can spin past 75 but the stock LS3 manifold is brilliant mainly with the stock cam which can perform till 6000ish. After that its a resdtrictor. The stock LS3 heads in stock form can make power past 7 as well. Asq the LQ9 guys when they bore their 6.0 blocks to 6.2

So going back to your build, did you inspect your manifold when you removed the heads? Was it clean and not full of oil? That will pull timing and kill your topend. Also, have you given thought to the possibility that maybe you got a "defective" stock LS3 intake manifold that is restricting/suffocating your heads' intake runners? That would explain why your torque is still kind of there but your top end isnt and why you have such low peak rpms before and after the modifications. The issue was there all along. Do you have access to another stock LS3 intake manifold or a FAST LSXr? I would try an intake manifold swap with either one of those and see what the car drives like past 5600rpms without taking it to a dyno. Just feel what it does and if you feel and see that the car is finally spinning to and past 6500 and still pulling, then you may have pinpointed your issue. If you dont have access to another LS3 manifold, Summit racing has brand new GM stock LS3 manifolds for $270. You can buy, try, and if it solves your issue, leave it on and have your tuner retune and dyno again. That is what i would do. Ive read your entire thread and in the back of my mind, i think your issue is not enough air is getting into the heads. Mechanically it sounds like everything is in place for you

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-12602477

Bone Stock

Last edited by sixty9fordkiller; 04-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #35
13SSCamaro

Do the exchange with GPI for a rod modded and ported intake
2013 SS M6, TSP Stage 3 231/246 cam kit, TSP Trunion upgrade, Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX PTB, TSP 1 7/8 Long tube headers and high flow cats, Corsa Xtreme ZL1 Catback exhaust, Elite E2-X Catch can, Trick Flow Gen-X 255 heads milled 0.025 and valve job, GPI rod mod and ported intake, ID850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump, Flex sensor and E-85, Mantic 9000 and 1LE 3.91 diff 512rwhp/462rwtq
Old 04-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #36
go_go_gadget88

Quote:
Well, its a known fact that the stock LS3 intake manifold restricts aftermarket cams past 6500. I know the cam i just got installed will make power past 7 and can spin past 75 but the stock LS3 manifold is brilliant mainly with the stock cam which can perform till 6000ish. After that its a resdtrictor. The stock LS3 heads in stock form can make power past 7 as well. Asq the LQ9 guys when they bore their 6.0 blocks to 6.2

So going back to your build, did you inspect your manifold when you removed the heads? Was it clean and not full of oil? That will pull timing and kill your topend. Also, have you given thought to the possibility that maybe you got a "defective" stock LS3 intake manifold that is restricting/suffocating your heads' intake runners? That would explain why your torque is still kind of there but your top end isnt and why you have such low peak rpms before and after the modifications. The issue was there all along. Do you have access to another stock LS3 intake manifold or a FAST LSXr? I would try an intake manifold swap with either one of those and see what the car drives like past 5600rpms without taking it to a dyno. Just feel what it does and if you feel and see that the car is finally spinning to and past 6500 and still pulling, then you may have pinpointed your issue. If you dont have access to another LS3 manifold, Summit racing has brand new GM stock LS3 manifolds for $270. You can buy, try, and if it solves your issue, leave it on and have your tuner retune and dyno again. That is what i would do. Ive read your entire thread and in the back of my mind, i think your issue is not enough air is getting into the heads. Mechanically it sounds like everything is in place for you

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-12602477

Admittedly it was just a quick inspection. Then I sat it opening-side down to let the oil drain off the floor of intake into a pan. It had a good amount in it. Enough that I know I need to get a catch can. But, during tuning, it was still dry I think and wasn't causing issues with timing. Funny enough though, my tuner wondered if it couldn't be the intake restricting. I shot it down as I was under the impression they were still decent for a heads/cam car. I never considered having a "bad" intake...but they are plastic so it's possible it's internally deformed or something.

I will concur it really just seems like I wasn't flowing the air I should. Looking at the graph, while the power peaks sooner than expected...it doesn't really drop off much either. So it's not falling flat. Looks like maybe it's just limited by the amount of air it's getting in. Exhaust should be better now (and it did seem to run even better, but it was colder that day and has a new exhaust..could sure be placebo effect!), so only thing left would be intake. I sadly do not have access to another one easily. I planned to have mine ported and rod-mod..so maybe that is the thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13SSCamaro View Post
Do the exchange with GPI for a rod modded and ported intake

I think this is going to be my next engine mod. Do they have a straight up exchange with like a core fee to minimize downtime? Or is it just a send-in service?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #37
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

here's the cold start video i made this morning

sorry about my cat. she freaked the f*** out when i fired it up

full mods to the car are in the description

light re to 2000 @4:09
light rev to 3500 @4:36

Bone Stock
Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #38
13SSCamaro

GPI sells them flat out, will model yours or do an exchange with a deposit so there is no downtime other than the time it takes to do the swap. Once you send the intake back they refund the core deposit
Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #39
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
Sounds good! In for results. Should be a solid performer my friend.

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #40
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
Sounds good! In for results. Should be a solid performer my friend.
Know anyone thats selling 17" rear bogarts or welds? I need tires and wheels for the rear at least now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock