Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Starting to regret muffler delete?

Hi like it says I have a tuned L99 (no AFM of course) that I cut the rear suitcases off of last Fall. I had straight pipes welded in with my stock tips put back on at a local Speedy. They did a very nice job on it. Heres the issue. To my old ears the car sounds awesome on start up and under heavy or WOT.

But on normal driving its meh and annoying or certainly can be at times. If I press the throttle around 1500-2000 RPM it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe its drone not sure? And I find the auto even while tuned is always in a higher gear than I wish it was for sound. Sometimes I press the gas around that range and if it doesn't downshift then it doesn't sound good. I guess thats where a throttle controller helps.....

So I'm debating putting the stock mufflers back on to improve that situation. My girlfriend loves the sound of my car now so I know I'll get some grief if I do that LOL. So what should I do? Try to find a better solution like a Solo with J-pipes? Borla S-type? Go back to stock?

I'm going to call a couple of muffler shops tomorrow and see what they can do for me but performance stuff is almost non-existant where I live sadly. Sorry for the long post but I feel kind of frustrated & would appreciate some input. Ugh

Last edited by qcman; 05-02-2018 at 11:00 PM.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
thinkin of doin j-pipe's myself for the exact same reason...I think there may be a kit by solo to add to your existing setup? but I also think I might do it myself...providing I can find a pipe bender...lol...good luck!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I started with the muffler delete. And afyer many half ass combos I decided to buy a goid catback and call it as day. I think maybe you should look at this as well. Dont waste yiur money.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
Gasoholic

Drives: o
If your girlfriend likes it I'd leave it as is
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
This is the second car that deleted rear mufflers on. I am sold on what is called on here, a "resonated X-pipe" it is a dual in dual out muffler with a perforated x-pipe inside of it. No drone, resonance, or rasp, just a nice smooth rumble. It still screams at WOT though.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
Not a fan of muffler delete. It can make the exhaust sound annoying.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Hi like it says I have a tuned L99 (no AFM of course) that I cut the rear suitcases off of last Fall. I had straight pipes welded in with my stock tips put back on at a local Speedy. They did a very nice job on it. Heres the issue. To my old ears the car sounds awesome on start up and under heavy or WOT.

But on normal driving its meh and annoying or certainly can be at times. If I press the throttle around 1500-2000 RPM it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe its drone not sure? And I find the auto even while tuned is always in a higher gear than I wish it was for sound. Sometimes I press the gas around that range and if it doesn't downshift then it doesn't sound good. I guess thats where a throttle controller helps.....

So I'm debating putting the stock mufflers back on to improve that situation. My girlfriend loves the sound of my car now so I know I'll get some grief if I do that LOL. So what should I do? Try to find a better solution like a Solo with J-pipes? Borla S-type? Go back to stock?

I'm going to call a couple of muffler shops tomorrow and see what they can do for me but performance stuff is almost non-existant where I live sadly. Sorry for the long post but I feel kind of frustrated & would appreciate some input. Ugh

If you want higher quality mufflers but less than what the car had stock, why not get like after market glass packs or mufflers that are cylindrical and not giant tin cans.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I had Solos with the J pipes on my Pontiac G8 GT when I had it. It was a great exhaust and sounded great.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Solo FTW! I have their Mach XL Catback and it is awesome. If you’re wanting to just do the axle back or even weld in their J pipes it would make a big difference in killing the drone. Before I installed my headers you could barely hear the exhaust cruising, but getting into the throttle was music to my ears. With long tube headers it is a little louder cruising, but I can still hear the radio at volume level 6 while cruising.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #10
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Add this and you will be very happy with the sound, remove the existing resonator.
Attached Images

Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’m not quite to the regret part yet. I think it sounds pretty good, overall. I have straight pipes w/ stock tips. Very slight drone in 6th gear. If I drove long highway miles I might think differently. Mine’s pretty much around town and ‘up the hill’ some weekends. I will say I like the looks of the Borla Axle Back but not sure it’s worth $700+ just for looks.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263614604009
I just bought a system similar to this one without the rear mufflers. Sounds great, can't beat the price either.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou gill View Post
Add this and you will be very happy with the sound, remove the existing resonator.
I had this...with solo high flow cats....shorty headers and Magnaflow competition mufflers delete. I had this on for quit a while. The resonated x pipe really quited down the exhaust.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #14
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Exactly why I love the NPP exhaust. Quiet at cruising speeds and loud when you want it.