Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #29
Gasoholic

Drives: o
Yeah people have actually died from having an exhaust leak underneath their vehicle.
Fires have started from exhaust pipes especially when the pipes are very close to the headers with no spark arrestor. Its not even something I would consider rare.
In some states its required that generators, lawn mowers, chain saws, all have spark arrestors.
Ever been to the drags? Watch flames coming out of the pipes?

Nothing un true about anything I said.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #30
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoholic View Post
Yeah people have actually died from having an exhaust leak underneath their vehicle.
Fires have started from exhaust pipes especially when the pipes are very close to the headers with no spark arrestor. Its not even something I would consider rare.
In some states its required that generators, lawn mowers, chain saws, all have spark arrestors.
Ever been to the drags? Watch flames coming out of the pipes?

Nothing un true about anything I said.
This is a super extreme. Died from exhaust fumes? How long were they in the vehicle idling? The cabin was obviously unsealed, unlike our cars. Was the victim outside or in an enclosure like a garage? I find this really had to believe.

Fires being started? This is another EXTREME and neither would be a typical occurrence. I've ran header dumps for over a year in this car, over 7 years in my GTO and countless years in other cars never any problems. Yes there are flames that shoot out but unless your tune has your car dumping fuel out your exhaust ports the flame will never be on long enough to cause a fire. What you've listed are EXTREME circumstance and probably one in 100 million chances.

I've seen people walking down the sidewalk get hit by a car. Does that mean if you walk down a sidewalk you're going to get hit by a car? No, just an extreme (but not as extreme as what you've listed) circumstance.
You probably have a better chance of sleeping in your bed and a plane crashing into your home killing/injuring you than you have with running header dumps.
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #31
Gasoholic

Drives: o
I am simply citing concerns. You obviously didn't read everything I have written in this thread or you would know I have been considering doing something similar to the OPs pictures in his first post.
I was attempting to indulge in useful conversation. To discuss how to, why to, and what might happen/could happen.
As opposed to simply bashing people for their opinions.
In any case people have died from exhaust leaks. Don't believe me? Fine. It's happened. I know because I have worked in the auto repair field my entire life.
There was a dealership in Detroit, I believe it was Mel Farr, they sold a used car "as is condition" and the gentleman that bought the car died less than 24hrs after purchasing it. He died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to an exhaust leak. The man slept in the car while it was running and died. The dealership got sued and lost.
I know this because I worked at a dealership at that time and our dealership initiated a "no used car sales with a safety check" because of that suit.
Other dealerships I've worked at and did safety checks ALL required that no used car can be sold to the public with a known exhaust leak. Why? Because people have died from these things.
Wholesales and auctions are different. But when a car is sold to the general public by a licensed dealership that dealership can be held responsible.
In the field that I currently work our fleet gets inspections by the State. One of the things they inspect for is exhaust leaks. They go so far as to require that our vehicles can not have tail pipes that don't extend at least 2 inches from under the vehicle. Wonder why since according to some of you its a non issue.
Look I'm just trying to make conversation here. Not trying to bash ANYONE! I didn't attack anyone or flame anyone. I simply stated honest concerns. And at no point have I lied!
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM   #32
jdpeezy91

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Well i never claimed not to be an asshole ...
I aint whinin just irritates me anytime i talk about running dumps all the exhaust nazis come out the wood work like its some kind unheard of idea and the greatest possible sin and possibly the end of the world and im gonna go to super jail for it plenty of people have ran dumps over the years on many differnt vehicals and the world didnt end noone has had their car impounded and crushed (that i know of) im just looking for anyone that ran them had any tips or issues, concerns etc not for everyone with their panties in a twist to come talk down on the idea theres plenty of illegal exhaust modifications running long tubes with no cats is illegal, running offroad cross over pipes illegal, speeding is illegal whats the big deal about dumps that makes everyone lose their mind mabey ill throw a dagum hood stack on at sumbitch just to cause a ruckus yalls brain would probley expload 🤣
jdpeezy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 AM   #33
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
If you had only started your thread with “I’m a moron and an askhole and I don’t care about anyone’s opinion and my butt hurts at the slightest little teasing and I’ll get as many tickets as I damn well please even though I don’t have any money for cutouts or diverters and besides I have no idea what I’m talking about and my Camaro is going to be better than all you sumbitches anyway so everyone go to hell”, none of this would have happened.

Clearly you have only yourself to blame.
Squak not being able to afford cutouts or diverters and not feeling like spending the money on them is two different things why should i pay all that money for them when dumps do the same thing way cheaper 900 for diverters vs mabey 50 in turnouts and clamps? i thought about cutouts first but id probley leave the cut outs open all the time anyhow and if i choose itll take me what an hour tops to get my car up on the lift and put the full exhaust back on if i want just seems like a waste to me 🤷🏻*♂️

And if i have it my way my camaro will be way better then any of yalls anyhow mmhm i reckon im fixin to build me a doomsday machine ... race me 🤣
Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #34
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 View Post
Well i never claimed not to be an asshole ...
I aint whinin just irritates me anytime i talk about running dumps all the exhaust nazis come out the wood work like its some kind unheard of idea and the greatest possible sin and possibly the end of the world and im gonna go to super jail for it plenty of people have ran dumps over the years on many differnt vehicals and the world didnt end noone has had their car impounded and crushed (that i know of) im just looking for anyone that ran them had any tips or issues, concerns etc not for everyone with their panties in a twist to come talk down on the idea theres plenty of illegal exhaust modifications running long tubes with no cats is illegal, running offroad cross over pipes illegal, speeding is illegal whats the big deal about dumps that makes everyone lose their mind mabey ill throw a dagum hood stack on at sumbitch just to cause a ruckus yalls brain would probley expload 🤣
Seriously dude, weed through what you want and don't get offended so easily, wow. Suck it up buttercup. Nazis, really?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #35
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Wow, this thread sure has run the gamut.

Here's a brief synopsis to get you caught up:

"Header dumps?".
"Be careful you don't get a ticket.".
"I want header dumps too.".
"How about cut-outs?".
"I got a ticket once.".
"Personal responsibility.".
"Piss off sissies! The local cops will put up with my 900dB exhaust and like it!!!".
"Watch out, we've got a bona fide bad-ass over here.".
"You'll asphyxiate yourself and catch the grass on fire!".
"You're an over-exaggerating diva.".
"No I'm not!".
"Yes, you are.".
*unintelligible ramblings of Farmer Fran from The Waterboy* (posts 32 & 33)

Good thread guys! This has been a fun and interesting exchange.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #36
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Exactly! We're talking about F**king header dumps and this fool goes on about possibly dying, starting grass on fire etc etc... One thing I've leaned on this site is that people overthink everything!
Go on ls1tech and ask the same question and you will get your questions answered without all the out of this world scenarios.
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Wow, this thread sure has run the gamut.

Here's a brief synopsis to get you caught up:

"Header dumps?".
"Be careful you don't get a ticket.".
"I want header dumps too.".
"How about cut-outs?".
"I got a ticket once.".
"Personal responsibility.".
"Piss off sissies! The local cops will put up with my 900dB exhaust and like it!!!".
"Watch out, we've got a bona fide bad-ass over here.".
"You'll asphyxiate yourself and catch the grass on fire!".
"You're an over-exaggerating diva.".
"No I'm not!".
"Yes, you are.".
*unintelligible ramblings of Farmer Fran from The Waterboy* (posts 32 & 33)

Good thread guys! This has been a fun and interesting exchange.
Pretty much sums it up well even if there wasnt anything of value to learn its atleast good for a laugh
Old 05-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #38
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsxDoctor View Post
Exactly! We're talking about F**king header dumps and this fool goes on about possibly dying, starting grass on fire etc etc... One thing I've leaned on this site is that people overthink everything!
Go on ls1tech and ask the same question and you will get your questions answered without all the out of this world scenarios.
Thanks for the tip ill have to check it out over there mabey ill have better luck then all the what ifs and youll get tickets
Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #39
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
For a few months I ran my car open header. I removed my off road cats and tucked the exhaust up. In the long run I would think it isn't the best thing for your car but it isn't going to instantly blow it up or anything like that. Eventually I went with a set of no weeds cutouts and haven't looked back. Yeah they're expensive, but not having my neighbors call the cops or having to roll in neutral when a cop passed me is totally worth it. I say go for it and if you get to the point that you want the ability to switch back and forth go with no weeds diverters!
Old 05-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #40
PFL

Drives: Camaro SS
in terms of power and efficiency, leaving only headers, without x-pipes, will influence low or high rpm? or will it simply not change any aspect of performance?
PFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #41
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Heck yea! Speeding through school zones, driving over curbs, burning rubber in front of the ambulance entrance at a hospital. It's all good! Let me hear that rebel yell!
yes?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #42
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This thread could be a country song. But it’s needs mama, a pick up truck, trains and prison time to round ‘er out.