Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Unhappy Shock/Strut Replacement Help

I've searched the forum for anyone that has info in replacing the FE5 shocks and haven't found any solid info. I have them out and was wondering about the electrical connections. The new shocks have a naked wire on the end. Does anyone know how to get the wires into the connector? Should I be searching for a new connector? I have the connector half pulled apart with the little tabs but I'm afraid I'm going to break it forcing it apart. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Bogey99; 09-17-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey99 View Post
I've searched the forum for anyone that has info in replacing the FE6 shocks and haven't found any solid info. I have them out and was wondering about the electrical connections. The new shocks have a naked wire on the end. Does anyone know how to get the wires into the connector? Should I be searching for a new connector? I have the connector half pulled apart with the little tabs but I'm afraid I'm going to break it forcing it apart. Any help would be much appreciated.

Which are you working on the front or the rears, and there is some very good info on here on how to open the tabs on the the wire connection.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Bogey99

Rear shocks. I ended up pulling them out and dropping them off at the dealer. I couldn't find any parts info on new connectors and didn't want to risk breaking them. $140 to get the new shocks removed and refitted to the coil-over assembly. Again, the new shocks come with a naked wire. You supposed to solder that in or just pull it out and jam it in there???? Who knows.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Bogey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Which are you working on the front or the rears, and there is some very good info on here on how to open the tabs on the the wire connection.

Meant FE5.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey99 View Post
Rear shocks. I ended up pulling them out and dropping them off at the dealer. I couldn't find any parts info on new connectors and didn't want to risk breaking them. $140 to get the new shocks removed and refitted to the coil-over assembly. Again, the new shocks come with a naked wire. You supposed to solder that in or just pull it out and jam it in there???? Who knows.
They are not bare they are two pins, after you disconnect the main connector on the car and remove the strut you have to use a small pick tool, to release the inner section of the connector then use a small pair of needle nose to shove inside and squeeze the connector and the pull it straight out. Use can then release the pins from the connector and reassemble. Sounds harder that it is..

Make sure your dealer doesn’t short cut you by cutting the wire and soldering it, some are lazy and do that.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Bogey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
They are not bare they are two pins, after you disconnect the main connector on the car and remove the strut you have to use a small pick tool, to release the inner section of the connector then use a small pair of needle nose to shove inside and squeeze the connector and the pull it straight out. Use can then release the pins from the connector and reassemble. Sounds harder that it is..

Make sure your dealer doesn’t short cut you by cutting the wire and soldering it, some are lazy and do that.

Good info thank you. Ill check them before reinstalling.

Tags
fe6, mag ride, shock, zl1