Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Grey_ghost_racing

Drives: 2010 ls3 Camaro
I’m sorry in advance FI Question

I have a 2010 ss/rs m6 I already know that y’all are probably sick of this but I’ve been looking at other threads and haven’t found the answer I’m looking for yet I want to do FI on the car but don’t know which route to take specifically I’m looking at either the turbonetics turbo kit or the Whipple 2.9L twin screw I know the basics of each ones operation but for a daily driven manual car I’m not sure which way to go I will drag race at strip sometimes and maybe (emphasis on maybe) try autocross. both set ups are in same price range and I plan on going with a special cam and dyno tune but that is as far as I want build to go I’m not trying to join the 1000 HP club so any insight would be appreciated
Grey_ghost_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_ghost_racing View Post
I have a 2010 ss/rs m6 I already know that y’all are probably sick of this but I’ve been looking at other threads and haven’t found the answer I’m looking for yet I want to do FI on the car but don’t know which route to take specifically I’m looking at either the turbonetics turbo kit or the Whipple 2.9L twin screw I know the basics of each ones operation but for a daily driven manual car I’m not sure which way to go I will drag race at strip sometimes and maybe (emphasis on maybe) try autocross. both set ups are in same price range and I plan on going with a special cam and dyno tune but that is as far as I want build to go I’m not trying to join the 1000 HP club so any insight would be appreciated
First off, I made an editorial change for you.... You can determine where it is, and then why that was changed.

Now, daily driven drag/autocross/dig/roll racer..... Hmmmmm.... To optimize one, you have to give up on others.

You mention a turbo kit, specifically the Turbonetics single. You might want to look at several other manufacturers kits as well. AGP, Hellion, both top and bottom mount.... There are others as well depending on your desires.

Quick drag/dig launches, moderate total power, a small twin turbo kit, or a decent sized single will fill the bill.

Roll Races, more total power, you might want a bigger set of twins or a Big single. High Speed Standing 1/2 or 1 mile or 1.5 mile events, a BIG set of twins will fill the bill, but you are looking at lots of motor/fuel/chassis mods to support them. Obviously the higher the total power desired, the deeper into the motor and the wallet you have to dig.... Supporting mods add up quickly....

Blowers, the Whipple is nice as are several of the others.... When the 2010 first came out, we had major manufacturer arguments among members over which was best.... It depends on what you really want to do....

Lots of the hardcore drag racers go with the Pro-Charger of different levels depending on desired power.

Open the hood WOW power comes from the Maggie, the Whipple and or the Kenne Bell. The heartbeat is a great blower but it doesn't jump right off the motor at you, at least not to me....

None of the above does any good if you cant get the power on the ground. Therefore you have to consider suspension upgrades. more traction means more stress on the driveline and so increased strength is needed.... It can be a vicious cycle....

The bottom line is though, YOU need to have an honest sit down with yourself and determine your priority.... Then you can narrow your search based on others experiences.... We are all willing to help, but you gotta lead us....

If you don't mind me asking, what City in Texas are you located near? I'm south of Austin in Kyle....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10 (stock)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Supporting mods add up quickly....

Of all the verbiage, this strikes home the hardest to me.

Of all the verbiage, all rings true.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates

Last edited by dreksnot; 10-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Fatal Ty

Drives: 1992 LS3 Typhoon
Great response above.

Priority, goals, and budget.
Fatal Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
Grey_ghost_racing

Drives: 2010 ls3 Camaro
I see where you are coming from I did not really narrow anything down but having to choose primary focus it would be DD and dig racing my biggest concern is having a manual gearbox I wasn’t sure if turbos were the best way to go my last vehicle with a turbo was an automatic so spooling wasn’t much of an issue also I am located in Kerrville 45min. West of San Antonio
Grey_ghost_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
Another good option for somthing reliable and fun is the LSA conversions. IMHO they look better than the maggie too.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_ghost_racing View Post
I see where you are coming from I did not really narrow anything down but having to choose primary focus it would be DD and dig racing my biggest concern is having a manual gearbox I wasn’t sure if turbos were the best way to go my last vehicle with a turbo was an automatic so spooling wasn’t much of an issue also I am located in Kerrville 45min. West of San Antonio
Never heard of Kerrville....

Worked in the Fire Dept. there for many years.... Some at Central Station on Water street, some at station 3 on the Loop across from the VA hospital, but mostly at Blackwell Fire Station on Harper road.. Blackwell is closed now but I worked there for many years...

The power delivery can be configured with any boost situation. For Daily driving, either transmission is great.... For Dig racing, then you are certainly better off with an automatic.... They are considerably more consistent.

You can have a small/medium blower or a small set of twins, (or a medium sized single turbo) and acquire all the power you need and the instant response you may be looking for....

If I was wanting to do what you are based on your comments, I would probably go with a smaller set of twin turbos. Partly based on your location. Kerrville while not in the mountains is relatively high in altitude compared to many places. Turbos will spin a little faster to make the boost in the absence of air molecules... Blowers are belt driven and more susceptible to altitude drop off.

If you are serious about dig racing, knowing there are no "tracks" near you, then I would probably do a swap to a 4L80 or 6L80 transmission. Add in a stall converter and go have fun.

Either form of boost provider can be a great daily driver with reliability, as long as you don't go overboard. I went overboard about 1K RWHP ago.... but the car serves my purposes.....

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 10-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
How are you from the kyle area and not know where Kerrville is? lol its out towards F-berg and Bourne in the hill country.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Never heard of Kerrville....

Worked in the Fire Dept. there for many years.... Some at Central Station on Water street, some at station 3 on the Loop across from the VA hospital, but mostly at Blackwell Fire Station on Harper road.. Blackwell is closed now but I worked there for many years...

The power delivery can be configured with any boost situation. For Daily driving, either transmission is great.... For Dig racing, then you are certainly better off with an automatic.... They are considerably more consistent.

You can have a small/medium blower or a small set of twins, (or a medium sized single turbo) and acquire all the power you need and the instant response you may be looking for....

If I was wanting to do what you are based on your comments, I would probably go with a smaller set of twin turbos. Partly based on your location. Kerrville while not in the mountains is relatively high in altitude compared to many places. Turbos will spin a little faster to make the boost in the absence of air molecules... Blowers are belt driven and more susceptible to altitude drop off.

If you are serious about dig racing, knowing there are no "tracks" near you, then I would probably do a swap to a 4L80 or 6L80 transmission. Add in a stall converter and go have fun.

Either form of boost provider can be a great daily driver with reliability, as long as you don't go overboard. I went overboard about 1K RWHP ago.... but the car serves my purposes.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ATX View Post
How are you from the kyle area and not know where Kerrville is? lol its out towards F-berg and Bourne in the hill country.