Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #29
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Op is gonna get it back together, realize it runs better than it ever did and change his mind about selling it.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #30
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
why are you putting in main studs and arp rod bolts if you are selling it?
Checking clearances can you do this with torquing gm bolts then use them again on final assembly? I figured checking bearing clearance is easier with studs
Old 09-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #31
flyinglow57

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Op is gonna get it back together, realize it runs better than it ever did and change his mind about selling it.
I hope this is the problem
Old 09-05-2019, 04:48 AM   #32
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
I hope this is the problem
You know, you are doing a solid rebuild, and like you said, any money you throw at it won’t make the resell value go up. With that in mind, I’m of the opinion that you should just keep it. you know what you have! once it’s back together, like previously stated, you’re going to think “hot damn, why did I think I wanted to sell it?!!!”
Roto-fab big gulp, Nick Williams 102mm TB, Kong X-port LSA, Ported LS3 heads, BTR stage 4 V2 pd cam, 416 CI bottom end, original block. TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback. Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/100 shot JUST IN CASE. NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires. DSX flex fuel kit, 1 Walbro 450lph, 2 525lph return style fuel system, deatchwork 1000cc injectors. B&M deep trans pan, stock 6L90 converter, ZL1 diff 3.23 ratio. GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, Forgestar F14s, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #33
G8One2

Quote:
Checking clearances can you do this with torquing gm bolts then use them again on final assembly? I figured checking bearing clearance is easier with studs
Use the old bolts to verify and check your clearances. Final assemble with the new bolts.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #34
flyinglow57

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Use the old bolts to verify and check your clearances. Final assemble with the new bolts.
I was wondering this. The only question i have is

The stock bolts are torque to yield. Do i just tq them to what arp would be tq to or do i go to 10lbs the 70* past that. Or what ever the spec is

Thank you sooo much I appreciate the help. This will save me actap load of money
Old 09-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #35
G8One2

Use the stock spec and stock bolts. You can yeild those 3 times generally before scrapping them. It was yeiled once from the factory, so you should be able to torque them up a few more times. But don't use studs or arp bolts on final reassembly. They will have a different clamp load than your stock bolts. You should be using whatever fasteners were used to size the bearings and set clearances. If you had the machine shop set your clearances with the torque to yeild bolts, than that's what you should be using to verify your clearances and to do final assembly with. You should not be using studs or arp bolts unless the machine shop used them to set your clearances.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #36
G8One2

Basically, if you want to use arp fasteners to put it back together with ( which I suggest you do) have the machine shop set your bearing clearances with the arp fasteners and not the stock hardware.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #37
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I am still Alive..LOL Preload when you cannot get the exact absolute right length of pushrod means you turn the thing to the range, you change anything you need to adjust things, you want less noise for the engine you run less preload you want more RPM you run tighter, you do short travel, shave heads etc;; it all matters and yes its done in distance, you can not just buy the exact length of pushrod for every mod...…. The rocker is a fulcrum its 1.7 on the heads you tighten it to increase preload loosen to decrease....

People on here used to report they did so many turns and some were way off and over tight and trashed things that's why I even bother..... And because you don't break in a engine right with a roller it may break down way down the road..... not like a flat tappet that was bread and butter forever...… and same with it being a roller that it will move the roller on the cam way over preloaded to hell and back where as on a flat tappet the damn engine would be seized!!!!!!!!! A couple simple facts. From a old Motorhead..... And makers don't do pushrods in .001 lengths increments.....at least not for cheap..... And a new bare block cost me $1400.....
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #38
flyinglow57

So update: the block and crank are at the machine shop. They magnafluxed the crank. All is good but the main journals need ground down. Im sending him my main studs and main caps. He is going to torque down the caps and bearings then he is going to grind the crank to the specs needed. Hopefully done in a next week
Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #39
G8One2

Quote:
So update: the block and crank are at the machine shop. They magnafluxed the crank. All is good but the main journals need ground down. Im sending him my main studs and main caps. He is going to torque down the caps and bearings then he is going to grind the crank to the specs needed. Hopefully done in a next week
Sounds like a good plan. If you plan on using arp fasteners for the rods,it would be wise to have them resize them with the arp bolts.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #40
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Shame would have been perfect to stroke it now...LOL
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #41
flyinglow57

Engine is still machine shop. Mains got line honed and just waiting for main bearings and cam bearings to come in.
Got everything in except the cam. But now i got the new high performance gm ls7 lifters and was wondering do the lifters need to be oriented one way or another. There is an oil weep hole in one side does it face forward or towards back
Old 09-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #42
G8One2

Doesn't matter, if you look down the lifter bore, you will see an oil galley that goes through the block. The hole in the lifters sit in this oil galley, orientation doesnt matter, it will get oil.