Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSharkfhinXx View Post
is that 466 without tune? seems like u should be a little higher
Well he does have 125k plus miles, take into consideration altitude and atmospheric conditions not to mention the temperature during tuning... Lots of factors buddy I think those numbers are pretty darn good considering a stage 2 with basic bolt one with those miles 😎
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Is this an LS3 only thread? If so, I will put my head down in shame and close the door behind me.

My L99 has 151,000+ miles and going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Didn't you do an LS3 swap though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
What? It didn’t leave trails if AFM parts all over the freeway yet?
Just to clear things up a bit as it seems this thread was brought back from the dead recently. I have a post from April 2019 stating that my 'L99 was alive and well at 151,000 miles' that has been quoted a few times since the thread's recent revival.

My L99 was destroyed with 153,300 miles in June 2019 from a hydrolock caused 100% by my stupidity. I drove through a flooded area misjudging how deep it was, It would have been fine, but there was a hump in the road and when it nosed down the Vararam sucked up the wake like a Hoover. The AFM components were working flawlessly up to the minute I snapped a rod and broke a piston skirt. I swear, 5 minutes before I hit that flooded street I commented to myself (and my car), 'Damn, you are running amazing today'.

After engine disassembly and inspection I found the cam lobes and AFM lifters all looked to be in great shape for the milage. My belief is I could have made it to 200,000+ miles without issue, but of course I will never truly know. Overall the engine looked amazingly clean inside and I even had crosshatching in the cylinders remaining.

I attribute a large part of this to a strict 4,000 mile oil change interval with a full synthetic (Mobil 1 EP), but that is really just a 'feeling' with no proof available. For info's sake, I disabled AFM via tune at around 70,000 miles. I never beat on the engine but I also didn't baby it. It had seen 6,000+ rpm more times than I can count but I also didn't drive it like a meathead. But I do not discount the possibility of luck playing a large role in it's longevity either. I am well aware some people have had AFM failure at very low miles. My biggest concern was actually the rocker trunnions, but they were also perfectly fine. I drove it daily with a constant nagging feeling that I was on borrowed time. But I didn't let that stop me from enjoying it.

That engine was replaced by a completely refreshed LS3 (with stock cam, was running low on money) in October of 2019. I still have the L99 sitting wrapped on an engine stand in my living room with full intent to rebuild it within the next year or two as the block is fully intact. Call me strange, but I have grown an attachment to the L99. I absolutely love the LS3 but once I figure out the path I want to take with the L99, chances are it will wind up back in the car eventually as that's its original heart.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 01-31-2020 at 02:16 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Must have been quite the ordeal... glad you could find the light at the end of the dark tunnel, InFiD3ViL...

And no discrimination... All Camaro's welcome...

Tells us what you've done to your ride in so many miles... throw up some pics... always a pleasure... these cars are gorgeous... even more so with people like you who take good care of them.

I'm proud to be a Camaro owner, I'm in good company...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #18
Pat93

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
I love reading this thread, great reading and gives me confidence I'll be with my ride for a long time. I have just over 17k so I'm no where near the 100k mark. It is a 2015.... I love it, have only had one scare that something was broke but it ended up fixing itself.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to drive it for about 6 months because o a deployment but at least got something else to look forward to when I get back! Gonna slap on some Z/28 or new 1LE wheels when I return!
Pat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #19
MPrento84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm about to join the club, 99,000 miles.
Attached Images

MPrento84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Bought mine from original owner with 103,000 miles. all highway miles and in great shape, I done a ton of work to it and i love it
Attached Images