Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I do this to my car and my neighbors look at me like I'm an idiot. But they already hate my car, so whatever.

I was washing my car using the foam cannon with my pressure washer last year. My neighbor asked, totally puzzled, 'What is that you are doing?'. After I explained it to him he had no concept of what I was talking about or why I would do that. Sad thing is that guy is in his early 30's.

The people in my neighborhood tend to hire detailers that come over to their house with a trailer to clean and detail there rides. I don't get it.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
Ernie70

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro 1LT
I use a leaf blower and compressed air from my compressor on the small -cracks .. LOL

The leaf blower works great in the engine bay to for dust, leaves , and such.
Ernie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #17
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I do this to my car and my neighbors look at me like I'm an idiot. But they already hate my car, so whatever.

I was washing my car using the foam cannon with my pressure washer last year. My neighbor asked, totally puzzled, 'What is that you are doing?'. After I explained it to him he had no concept of what I was talking about or why I would do that. Sad thing is that guy is in his early 30's.

The people in my neighborhood tend to hire detailers that come over to their house with a trailer to clean and detail there rides. I don't get it.
Yeah, I don't get people like that either. Not only do they not wash their own cars, but they take it in for every little maintainence item and if they do have mods, those are done at the speed shop too. Just put the bill on the 'ole credit card is all they do.

Like you, I'm the only one in my neighborhood who washes his own car. lol!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I wouldn't use a regular leaf blower for drying your car. They don't have a filter or screen preventing the blower motor from sucking up sand and dirt and then blowing the debris onto the car effectively sandblasting the car. Instead buy a blower specifically made for detailing cars.
I thought I was anal! It does indeed blow out what it takes in. I usually dry it in the garage.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #19
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post

There's still particles in the air. The risk is minimized with dedicating a leaf blower only to drying a car, but if you use it for blowing leaves or some leaf blowers have the function to suck up and mulch leaves then you really are leaf blasting your car's paint job.
We''l have to agree to disagree. There would be far more damage to my front end caused by driving across the desert daily at 125 if that were the case. Dust is blowing almost ALL the time out here.
Danial is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #20
Quicksilver-SS

Drives: 2014 1SS / RS M6
I use my backpack blower to dry my car. No issues. Better than dragging a towel across it.
Quicksilver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #21
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If your leaf blower is blowing stuff from the air onto your car, you shouldn't have washed it there in the first place. There is no way that if I go out to my driveway and use a leaf blower, anything is going to get sucked into it that will cause harm. I sure as hell don't live in a gravel pit and I'm sure he doesnt either.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #22
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
Your car doesn't have a filter from the air when driving down the road either. Air full of dust and dirt moving around the car at high speeds. Especially when driving around other cars stirring up even more dirt. What little bit is in the air from the leaf blower is nothing.
Or some dumb ass mowing and blowing the grass out into the street.,
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #23
Silveradoss573
Banned

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
I don't see how that could be a problem as long as you're not laying on the ground with it to blow dry the car.
^^^Lol Facts^^^
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:30 AM   #24
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Nope, nope, nope...
No leaf blower blowing unfiltered air across my, or any customers vehicles. I spend way too much time perfecting paint to even chance it. No matter how slight the chance.

There's a product or two out there dedicated to drying vehicles with warm filtered air and I use them. Just like I don't use a DA sander to polish paint, I use a machine dedicated to polishing paint. I don't use bath towels to wipe my cars down, I use microfiber.

It all comes down to your choice, mine is the Master Blaster Revolution or Side Kick by Metro. There's also a less expensive option from Adam's, his Air Cannon.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #25
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I've been using a B&D Electric blower I picked up for $30 for years. It's never induced any marring to my paint, or any other car I've done.

The air that flows through it is the same air I breathe. There is nothing large enough floating in it, that can go through the blower, that can cause a chip, or scratch the paint. No need to spend $300 on a blower.

Most of the water is removed with a pooling rinse prior to using it, so I don't have much water left to dry anyway.

I use the blower just for the areas that a towel can't get into. The rest is easily and safely removed with a microfiber towel (I like the Carpro DHydrate), and no pressure used.

If your not doing a pooling rinse prior to drying your car, you really should try this, saves a ton of time by removing 90% of the water.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 05-01-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #26
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
i only blow the grill and cracks around the mirrors, lights and doors. I dont want to blow dirt off the ground onto the newly washed car
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #27
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
i only blow the grill and cracks around the mirrors, lights and doors. I dont want to blow dirt off the ground onto the newly washed car
Don't worry about what's on the ground. The driveway should still be wet from the washing of the vehicle, and the water on there will keep the dust from being picked up. Paint booths are often sprayed down with water before painting a vehicle to keep dust down.

Oh, and here's a pic of the filter on my Master Blaster Revolution:

Bad? No not overly, however I'd rather have a filter catching the dirt than it being blown onto my clean and polished vehicle. My Master Blaster hangs upright in my garage in a fairly protected corner. I believe I last cleaned the filter early in the winter, so maybe four months ago?