Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
KevinHoward8509

Drives: 2014 camaro ss 1LE
lets talk axles

Question.

My 2014 1LE do i have to use the SS axles or the Zl1 axles?

i want to upgrade this as i will soon be around 700 wheel. i see alot of guys talk about how the ss axles dont fit the zl1. I figured my Car would use the ZL1 axles but thats just me guessing from the upgrades on the 1LE.

so next question would be if i DO use ZL1 axles what are they good for power wise? i see some people say the zl1 axles are good for 700 to the wheels and some say they arent.

Thoughts on the questions above.
KevinHoward8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
You have SS 1LE axles.

Meaning you have SS axles with a larger outer CV joint.

You can't swap ZL1 axles into your car without swapping the entire diff.

I was in a similar situation as I blew the outer CV joint on both of my normal SS axles.

Normally what people do is either swap the diff for a ZL1 diff + axles or put DSS/Geforce 1000hp axles in.

After doing some more research I found the main reason i was blowing axles is because my car is lowered causing an increase in angle of the outer CV joint when the car squats.

To resolve this issue I installed offset diff bushings to help raise the diff and fix the angle. I also installed 1LE axles since they have a larger outer CV joint. Finally I also had a truetrac diff install to make sure the load was getting spread evenly. I've read a few articles that the clutches in the stock diff will start to fail around 600 rwhp.

TLR

If you have the money buy a ZL1 diff and axles. < You'll only be able to do a 3.73 gear.

OR

Buy 1000hp axles from DSS/Geforce and run with it until you blow the clutches in your stock diff. Then get a truetrac diff.

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Stock axles will hold quite a bit as long as you don't shock them. No clutch dumps, no wheel hop. I like to think of them as fuses to protect more expensive, difficult to repair items, like the diff.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
KevinHoward8509

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaN- View Post
You have SS 1LE axles.

Meaning you have SS axles with a larger outer CV joint.

You can't swap ZL1 axles into your car without swapping the entire diff.

I was in a similar situation as I blew the outer CV joint on both of my normal SS axles.

Normally what people do is either swap the diff for a ZL1 diff + axles or put DSS/Geforce 1000hp axles in.

After doing some more research I found the main reason i was blowing axles is because my car is lowered causing an increase in angle of the outer CV joint when the car squats.

To resolve this issue I installed offset diff bushings to help raise the diff and fix the angle. I also installed 1LE axles since they have a larger outer CV joint. Finally I also had a truetrac diff install to make sure the load was getting spread evenly. I've read a few articles that the clutches in the stock diff will start to fail around 600 rwhp.

TLR

If you have the money buy a ZL1 diff and axles. < You'll only be able to do a 3.73 gear.

OR

Buy 1000hp axles from DSS/Geforce and run with it until you blow the clutches in your stock diff. Then get a truetrac diff.
im right at 600 wheel now cars only got 4000 miles on it so i figure that will allow me to borrow some time haha.

i just ordered a tru Trac today as well as a mcloed rxt clutch.

Axles seem to be on back order EVERYWHERE.

I figure as long as i dont hole shot it dumping it at 4 grand it should hold up for a bit especially on street tires.

I wanna get a aluminum drive shaft as well then axles.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
KevinHoward8509

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Stock axles will hold quite a bit as long as you don't shock them. No clutch dumps, no wheel hop. I like to think of them as fuses to protect more expensive, difficult to repair items, like the diff.
haha. yeah i hear ya there.

gonna try and get them all replaced.

Tru trac and clutch are on order.

drive shaft is next then axles.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
I hear what he's saying, but without bringing my car to the track I definitely broke stock axles at 700whp, coming into boost. Obviously they didn't break immediately, but when they did break it was from a roll and only had a few thousand miles at that power.