Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
I would just weld it myself. If I didn’t have the resources to do that, I’d take it to an exhaust shop and get it welded while the dealership is pecking around with getting the warranty replacement. Probably < $50 if it’s a good shop.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
GoodGuyGrant

Drives: '18 2SS
Appreciate the replies everyone. Glad to hear that these cars seem to be holding together pretty well over the miles. Definitely puts my mind at ease.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyGrant View Post
I was told by the service director at Stingray Chevy. He might have meant a specific plant/factory was shut down rather than the whole company. Either way, since May 14th they've been searching for a replacement NPP system and none have been made and warehouses are out apparently.

Another thing to note is Stingray Chevy is a really reputable dealer in Florida. They're known for a very high volume of corvette sales, so I would think they should know more or less what they're talking about when it comes to camaro stuff too.

I'm not much of a mechanical guy beyond the basics; here's a pic of the damage. It's the brace on the right side pipe. Re-welding was never something the service department discussed with me. They also refused an aftermarket exhaust as a solution due to warranty.
GM has supply issues all around and there is a reasonably high chance that any warehouse that would stock an NPP piece as a replacement piece is NOT going t be first to be re-stocked.

Maybe ask to be put in touch with the area GM rep to find out what options you have. You've already spent your money and have a warranty for a reason. The fact that they can't locate a replacement part of something that has failed under warranty shouldn't be an issue borne by you. The area rep should be able to either escalate the issue to help GET the part or authorize an alternate option. You're sitting on 2.5 months of lost use of your car because they can't find an inexpensive part?

Points to make and potentially stress:

- You are an existing customer. You have already made your commitment to GM/Chevy.
- Loss of use of the car for a covered issue for 2.5 months. Ask about how this might fare as a Lemon Law case.
- Continuing to have to spend money on registration, insurance, taxes, etc. (whatever real costs you have to continue to own the car even though it is sitting at the dealer).

If you can make a case for your situation calmly and logically with the Service Manager and possibly the General Manager of the dealership, they may be able to devise an alternate option for you directly. Otherwise, involvement of the local GM rep should be an option.

You may want to discuss the overall issue with the GM rep no matter the outcome to discuss extending the warranty due to loss of "calendar time" from the warranty because your car is sitting at the dealership awaiting repair.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Similar to what I was considering last week.

I have a 2018 Mustang GT that's gonna be off of warranty next April so what I did is I just went in and extended the warranty for 5 years bumper to bumper to 80k. Car only has 12.5k or so now.

it's a fixed cost 0 deductible for repairs and a free rental.

I have no worries now.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #19
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I’m an asshole so I got a lot replaced under bumper to bumper lmao. Beaver Chevrolet has been good to me.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I like to mod my car so my warranty went out the window 1 month after i purchased in the beginning of 2016. I only have 35k on the car.

I have the intermittant coolant sensor failure that I haven't bothered to care enough about to replace since I can reset it and it still works.

I have had the mylink screen die on me (ebay'd a newer 2017 version)

I have had the beginning of tcc shudder ...but added some special additive to get rid of it and it's gone away, and i'll be doing a full fluid change anyway next week.

Haven't had any other drivetrain problems though. Just the normal interior plastic rattles around speakers that camaro's always seem to have regardless of generation. It hasn't been to a dealer since needing to have android auto installed when that update came available in mid 2016.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #21
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
46k with headers, intake, e85, tune, intake manifold since under 10,000mi. Only issues were early on with loose end link and the short headliner. I'm gonna have cam swap sometime this year but partially to swap the lifters for non afm ones.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #22
GoodGuyGrant

Drives: '18 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
GM has supply issues all around and there is a reasonably high chance that any warehouse that would stock an NPP piece as a replacement piece is NOT going t be first to be re-stocked.

Maybe ask to be put in touch with the area GM rep to find out what options you have. You've already spent your money and have a warranty for a reason. The fact that they can't locate a replacement part of something that has failed under warranty shouldn't be an issue borne by you. The area rep should be able to either escalate the issue to help GET the part or authorize an alternate option. You're sitting on 2.5 months of lost use of your car because they can't find an inexpensive part?

Points to make and potentially stress:

- You are an existing customer. You have already made your commitment to GM/Chevy.
- Loss of use of the car for a covered issue for 2.5 months. Ask about how this might fare as a Lemon Law case.
- Continuing to have to spend money on registration, insurance, taxes, etc. (whatever real costs you have to continue to own the car even though it is sitting at the dealer).

If you can make a case for your situation calmly and logically with the Service Manager and possibly the General Manager of the dealership, they may be able to devise an alternate option for you directly. Otherwise, involvement of the local GM rep should be an option.

You may want to discuss the overall issue with the GM rep no matter the outcome to discuss extending the warranty due to loss of "calendar time" from the warranty because your car is sitting at the dealership awaiting repair.
Great points, thank you for the advice.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #23
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
2016 2SS, 26,500 miles, just had the AC expansion valve take a dump with just weeks of CPO warranty left. Radio bluetooth connection cuts out so much I can no longer use it, asked them to look at this when they fixed the no AC at idle issue, and they made it 10x worse, sad. Also they had the nerve to go joy riding in my car, so I won't take it back to them again. (Champion Chevy in Lagrange, KY)
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
I recently dropped down to one car since I'm in flight training and have no source of income, and both cars were paid off so it was just some extra cash. The 2018 Camaro 2SS that I decided to keep is now my daily driver. I just put 25k on it. I have some warranty claims for minor things, but you have to keep in mind that this is a performance car, and any performance car is gonna need some TLC; however, as far as performance cars go, the Camaro is damn reliable in comparison to other cars that can do what it does (M series, AMG series, dodge, etc.) Just put an extended warranty on it, as it may cost you less than one single job if you don't have the warranty. Make room in your budget for the warranty. Endurance has some great bumper to bumper extended warranties for decent prices, that's who I'm going with in September when my bumper to bumper is up.
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
2016 2SS, 26,500 miles, just had the AC expansion valve take a dump with just weeks of CPO warranty left. Radio bluetooth connection cuts out so much I can no longer use it, asked them to look at this when they fixed the no AC at idle issue, and they made it 10x worse, sad. Also they had the nerve to go joy riding in my car, so I won't take it back to them again. (Champion Chevy in Lagrange, KY)
The likelihood of getting a bluetooth issue that's anything but failure of the BT radio fixed under warranty is basically zero. Every BT system out there has some sort of database of devices that are compatible, and none of those databases contains a phone manufactured in the last three years. Also, the BT spec that the cars work with is typically at least a couple of revs behind what phone from the last 1-2 years will support.

I'll also add that most BT problems that I have personally encountered were only ever eventually fixed when the software on the phone was updated to fix a BT problem. So, it seems that BT systems in cars won't show a phone as "supported" until there are no more updates and they can verify that the latest software works correctly.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The likelihood of getting a bluetooth issue that's anything but failure of the BT radio fixed under warranty is basically zero. Every BT system out there has some sort of database of devices that are compatible, and none of those databases contains a phone manufactured in the last three years. Also, the BT spec that the cars work with is typically at least a couple of revs behind what phone from the last 1-2 years will support.

I'll also add that most BT problems that I have personally encountered were only ever eventually fixed when the software on the phone was updated to fix a BT problem. So, it seems that BT systems in cars won't show a phone as "supported" until there are no more updates and they can verify that the latest software works correctly.
It's a brand new iphone 11pro, it's not the phone, works flawlessly in every car I do the same thing with. Mechanic said it was a loose plug, but he didn't elaborate where or what plug. But it's oddly fine, until it isn't, and then you get like a solid 5 seconds of it cutting in and out, you wouldn't want the volume up when this happens. Granted the car is a 2016 and bluetooth has come quite a way in 4 years. but my wife's 2016 Buick Cascada works perfectly with bluetooth music and my other cars as well. It definitely has the loose connector feel to the issue, I was hoping to find it and see what I maybe could do. But I actually just sold the car, will be ordering new in the fall.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
It's a brand new iphone 11pro, it's not the phone, works flawlessly in every car I do the same thing with. Mechanic said it was a loose plug, but he didn't elaborate where or what plug. But it's oddly fine, until it isn't, and then you get like a solid 5 seconds of it cutting in and out, you wouldn't want the volume up when this happens. Granted the car is a 2016 and bluetooth has come quite a way in 4 years. but my wife's 2016 Buick Cascada works perfectly with bluetooth music and my other cars as well. It definitely has the loose connector feel to the issue, I was hoping to find it and see what I maybe could do. But I actually just sold the car, will be ordering new in the fall.
"It's a loose plug" is a BS response. If it's loose, fix it under warranty and move on. Otherwise, they're making stuff up to placate you and kick the problem down the road.

I get where you're coming from about it being a new phone. But, I've seen that movie before. Hell, I've starred in it. Just because the phone is new and works great "everywhere else" there's a distinct push to blame the car. Given that Apple has had more than its fair share of odd issues with BT (and they keep screwing with the settings of it from version to version as well), don't be surprised if an iOS update in the future results in the problem never coming back. Don't get me wrong... I'm not telling you that the problem ISN'T in your car. I'm only sharing my own knowledge based on experience and being a fairly technically-inclined individual as well.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #28
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’m an asshole so I got a lot replaced under bumper to bumper lmao. Beaver Chevrolet has been good to me.
There are times when being an asshole is appropriate.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote