Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
Are new ZL1's hard to come by???

I started working at a Chevy store last week and we received a white ZL1 1LE 10 spd and everyone was all excited. In fact they were as excited as when a C8 showed up. Are they that in demand or are they built in such limited numbers that they are rare or hard to find?
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
ZL1 Camaros and the ZL1 1LEs production numbers are not as high as the other Camaro models which makes them limited production in my opinion. In 2017, the first year of ZL1 production, just a little over 3000 ZL1s were built and that is one of the main reasons I bought my ZL1 and the very low mileage(422) on a used one. And of course 2017 being the 50 year anniversary of the Camaro. Now the C8 Corvette is another story as I would love to check one out at the local Chevy store but they are all sold and not for dealer stock to put in the showroom.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Not to contradict Greg here, because he always has awesome input...BUT...
They are not limited production. Anything made in the thousands per year, and 10s of thousands on the road, is by no means limited (but to be fair, I came from a '15 Z/28, so my version of "limited" or "rare" may differ from others). What it is I bet, is that there is a shortage of new models due to the pandemic, so now people get excited to see something that isn't a base model sedan or a truck rolling through.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Short answer, yes!

ZL1, or even an SS 1LE are rare on lots, especially now as inventories or so depleted. I had a hard time finding mine (SS 1LE) in March, far worse now.

Even in normal times, there are usually not a lot sitting around anywhere. Dealer by me, which move a lot of these kinds of cars, vettes too, they just have not had any for some time now, and the few they get are gone before you blink.

You don't see many on the road, so while "rare" is not the word, they certainly are not common either.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Smiley#1

Drives: 2012CTS_V
Car gu and auto trader has a few for sale. Even car max has some. Also the C8 is scares has hen teeth
Smiley#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
I don't think they're that hard to find, but it's a seriously cool car in looks and performance. Quicker than a Hellcat, faster around a track than a Porsche. Kids also love the racecar look.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
I don't think they're that hard to find, but it's a seriously cool car in looks and performance. Quicker than a Hellcat, faster around a track than a Porsche. Kids also love the racecar look.
Not faster than a hellcat stock for stock let’s be fair
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Smiley#1

Drives: 2012CTS_V
0 to 60 ZL1 1/4 mile different story hellcat is gone. 2021 is Mopar all the way, GM has got to step up to the plate or else GM is under water.
Smiley#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I honestly think if you go and look at dealers, not a lot of them have their usual inventory of vehicles. Nearly every dealer around me doesn't have the usual amount of vehicles. Lots are half full or even less than that.

From Toyota to Ford to Dodge to Chevrolet to Acura and so on. The current situation that we're all in is affecting them.

Now there are some dealers that seem to not having an issue keeping their lots full of new vehicles but most are.

While the ZL1 isn't rare, its hard to come by because not many people are out there looking to spend $70k+ (after taxes) for a fast sports car.....they'd rather spend that on a loaded truck or SUV. With that being said, not too many dealers are willing to let something like that sit on their lots for 6 months with no one buying it.

The C8, you're going to have someone buy that before you even know it's coming to the dealer.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree that there aren’t that many on the dealer lots for sure. I guess I was lucky when I found mine last year in that it was almost exactly what I was looking for in a ZL1 and the price was good too for a 2 year old ZL1 with just under 500 miles. I know of 2 or 3 ZL1s and 1 ZLE where I live including mine so seeing one especially a 6gen is rare here. Of course most people don’t notice or even care because they are busying talking or texting on their cell phones even though there are laws against it in Georgia with the exception of hands free devices.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
One good indication of scarcity, particularly for ZLE, is that in Los Angeles where there are more sports cars than anywhere in the world, I have only seen 1-2 ZLEs on the street since I bought mine in 11/2018. I've seen several at track weekends, but not driving on street or freeway.

On Sunday I went for my usual drive up on Mulholland Drive above Beverly Hills and Hollywood and a 720S and 488 pulled out of mansion driveway ahead of me and punched it through some great turns, I chased them. It was a blast, no traffic ahead and not too fast we kept it safe. The 720S in front of me gave me a few thumbs up, nice guys. It's funny to get real respect like that from cars costing ~5-6x more. I see a lot more Ferraris and McLarens than ZL1s, but if I could afford one I'd prefer that too.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley#1 View Post
0 to 60 ZL1 1/4 mile different story hellcat is gone. 2021 is Mopar all the way, GM has got to step up to the plate or else GM is under water.
They don't compete directly in my book. ZL1 is a true sports car while the Hellcat is a big boat, a comfy coach for middle aged fat guys who don't fit in a Camaro. Have some more cheetos and stay away from a roadcourse because you will get eaten alive in that big evil handling tank

Production on ZL1s is down this year with the virus stuff.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
I just did a search on Autotrader for new A10 ZL1's within 500 miles of where I live. Over 130 popped up. Most have the ILE package
Rare? No. Uncommon? Yes
Most people looking for a Camaro opt to buy a less expensive model. Few know about the ZL1. I end up educating a lot of Corvette guys about them at the gas pumps.

GM sells more Corvettes than they do ZL1's. Which is one of the reason I like this car so much. You dont see one on every corner. I bought mine in Feb of this year and have still not seen another on the road. My last 4 sport cars were all Corvettes. I cancelled my C8 order and went with the ZL1 and very happy I did.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 08-05-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
I come from C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes. When I decided to look at the ZL1, I spent three months looking all over AZ. Primarily, I wanted Garnet Red, Gray or Silver.

I noticed more ZL1 1LE cars than standard ZL1 cars. Colors were limited to White or Red Hot, neither of which were my preference. Of the available standard ZL1 cars in Garnet Red, many had sun roofs which ruled them out.

One dealer had a 2020 White ZL1 and a 2020 White 1LE on their lot for many weeks while other dealers had no problem selling their inventory. Time of the month does make a difference when negotiating. I set the price I wanted to pay and made a deal on a standard White 2020 ZL1 with A10. So far I am not disappointed in my decision.
az4783054 is offline   Reply With Quote