Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Ok, so I know this is somewhat off topic, but my friend was telling me that a 50/50 mix of methanol and water injected into the motor has the same effect of increasing octane. (making 91 octane act as 115+ octane)

is this true?

I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world regarding these matters, so I figured you guys would be better to ask.
No thats very not true. Injection methods like that for water, alcohol, etc are good on turbo applications to super cool the intake charge, but a NA engine does not have the heat issues a turbo charged engine has. Aside from the fact that it eventually rots your intake parts.

You wanna boost octane take the active ingredient in all those octane boosters Xylene or Toluene (usually is like 2-3% in those tiny bottles), it can be bought by the gallon at any Sherwin Williams. Add about 1 ounce of marvel mystery oil, then pour the whole gallon of it into a half full tank of gas, then fill up. It will effectively give you a true 100 octane, although I seriously doubt the motor will use it, you would need a tune. Plus its not so good for your cat either IIRC....

I used to use this mixture in my GN and TTA and was able to crank up the boost 2 lbs more with no knock than on regular pump gas.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Octane Booster is a joke, do not buy that crap. If you want more performance add 5 gallons of Race Fuel or call Snow Performance for a water methanol setup
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
I knew this one would come around eventually. While we're on the topic, let's also address:
Acetone, window cleaner, and how to distill your own gasoline from weeds.
Next we'll get linked to an online calculator that tallies up performance gains according to bumper-sticker number and placement.
Then the synthetic oil thread, and finally someone will link us to either http://www.tornadoair.com/ or the pinwheel one they used to sell at Walgreens that just clipped onto the grille.

The bottom line is that it's all mousemilk, and the idiots who swear by it are either shills, charlatains, trolls or willing victims of the expectancy effect exerted by their purchase of a gimmick, which is reinforced emotionally when the product does nothing or obtains anything other than a substantially negative result. It's like people who gulp down all manner of vitamins and supplements, ignoring how and in what trace quantities these substances are naturally absorbed and winding up with only expensive urine to show for it.
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
I knew this one would come around eventually. While we're on the topic, let's also address:
Acetone, window cleaner, and how to distill your own gasoline from weeds.
Next we'll get linked to an online calculator that tallies up performance gains according to bumper-sticker number and placement.
Then the synthetic oil thread, and finally someone will link us to either http://www.tornadoair.com/ or the pinwheel one they used to sell at Walgreens that just clipped onto the grille.

The bottom line is that it's all mousemilk, and the idiots who swear by it are either shills, charlatains, trolls or willing victims of the expectancy effect exerted by their purchase of a gimmick, which is reinforced emotionally when the product does nothing or obtains anything other than a substantially negative result. It's like people who gulp down all manner of vitamins and supplements, ignoring how and in what trace quantities these substances are naturally absorbed and winding up with only expensive urine to show for it.

Hey man if andy told us tht brand works it works...ask anybody on here abt his rep..and u are? My point exactly.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Ok I guess a lot of you unaware that at the pump the tanker shows up with one truck, the lowest grade, from there, they add their own octane booster. Don't let these other people say it's a waste, it's not.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
If I get a tank of bad gas and it start's knocking I add octane booster and the knock goes away. But I guess that must mean it does'nt work.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
As part of my testing for the CAI that i beta test i have put on the last 2000 mi running on 87 octane to try and see if we can get the car to have a check engine light come on, At this time that has not taken place.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #22
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
As part of my testing for the CAI that i beta test i have put on the last 2000 mi running on 87 octane to try and see if we can get the car to have a check engine light come on, At this time that has not taken place.
And does the car feel real weak like #230 was at first?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
No i drove to LA for the Hurst thing and the car loved the air in LA it was only 75 degrees and i was at 600 ft , Car ran so good but the flip side was that if you get on the freeway after 11:00 am it stop and go traffic all the way, Dos any one know is it still 2.5 cars registered per driver, It seemed like all of the cars in LA was on the 210 2.5 hr to get to the 15 and in the morning it was 40 min in to hurst from the 15.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
lcmc

Drives: 1987 IROC Z convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleDs View Post
Ok I guess a lot of you unaware that at the pump the tanker shows up with one truck, the lowest grade, from there, they add their own octane booster. Don't let these other people say it's a waste, it's not.
What? There are different compartments on the truck for different octane fuels. Even diesel. They do not add octane booster. I use to run a gas station so believe me that is entirely untrue.
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
What? There are different compartments on the truck for different octane fuels. Even diesel. They do not add octane booster. I use to run a gas station so believe me that is entirely untrue.
My co-worker used to work for a gas company, and I concur. She said she would get mad because sometimes the drivers would have extra Unleaded and put it in the tanks for Unleaded Plus and Super. Don't know how often this happened, though.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Family used to run a gas station. The different grades came out of different compartments in the tanker truck.
Captain Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
hm. I guess I was misguided.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Wow, I always thought this stuff was a waste, but I guess if ADM Performance is seeing some gains from a certain brand it can't be all bad. Guess it just comes down to getting the right stuff.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote