Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Need to have quiet mode for my exhaust, but how?

I’m moving into an apartment with underground parking. I was there today and my cold start sounded like a bomb went off and I am pretty sure I made a little kid pee in his pants. On the downside the lease has a policy against “noisy cars” on the upside this is Wisconsin and it is a heated garage.

I want to have a mute button on my exhaust. I have never had cutouts so I’m not actually sure how quiet that makes the exhaust. Alternatively, I could go with a touring exhaust.

I have headers and stock NPP exhaust. I was looking at Blackheart Hooker axle back with cutouts, but not sure that will be quiet enough. Thoughts, suggestions, video clips demonstrating cutouts?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Adriangarza40

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/LS3
Maybe get a non NPP exhaust? You could pick one up super cheap and it may not be too much more restrictive than NPP. With your headers it should still be plenty loud at WOT. I've never heard that setup in person so I don't know about the tone.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Do you have cats for the LT headers? They make a pretty decent difference in sound.

Cutouts won't make your exhaust quieter than it is now when they are closed, open it'll be even louder.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Do you have cats for the LT headers? They make a pretty decent difference in sound.

Cutouts won't make your exhaust quieter than it is now when they are closed, open it'll be even louder.
I have cats, and I checked out some videos of cutouts and saw what you mean. WAY louder.

I think I just need a touring muffler.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
I have cats, and I checked out some videos of cutouts and saw what you mean. WAY louder.

I think I just need a touring muffler.

I think NPP is open on startup, if so, a Forza E@ controller will let you start the car with it closed. http://www.forzacomponenti.com/controller_e2.html

If that isn't quiet enough, you could get an exhaust shop to adda muffler in the x pipe https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...pipe-11386.htm

I like a quiet car, I have a Borla Touring axle back and X pipe. It wasn't bad when I had long tubes with cats, it's really quiet now with the AGP turbo kit.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
The Varex XForce Catback System for our cars allows full control of the valved mufflers using your smart phone and bluetooth with their Smartbox added to their catback setup. I am not sure if the link below also includes the smart functions for bluetooth, but I know it can be added on. It also works with GPS and can have different valves positions set based on where you are located, for instance it can have the valves closed anywhere near your house or job, known police stations, etc. If you don't buy the Smartbox, the base system includes fob controllers for manual control.

There is a video below of a guy with a Mustang 5.0 that has it and it shows the smartphone app functions to control the valves. Pretty cool stuff. I think they also sell just the mufflers along with the remotes/Smart box system, this way you could just mod your existing exhaust. There are a few videos on YouTube of Camaros running these mufflers, but none of them are cammed or supercharged, so it's not easy to hear what they would sound like. I don't remember if you were also cammed, but I know you have the LSA blower.

Varex 3" Catback for Camaro: https://www.carid.com/2010-chevy-cam...527212082.html

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 11-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
The Varex XForce Catback System for our cars allows full control of the valved mufflers using your smart phone and bluetooth with their Smartbox added to their catback setup. I am not sure if the link below also includes the smart functions for bluetooth, but I know it can be added on. It also works with GPS and can have different valves positions set based on where you are located. If you don't buy the Smartbox, the base system includes fob controllers.

There is a video below of a guy with a Mustang 5.0 that has it and it shows the smartphone app functions to control the valves. Pretty cool stuff. I think they also sell just the mufflers along with the remotes/Smart box system, this way you could just mod your existing exhaust. There are a few videos on YouTube of Camaros running these mufflers, but none of them are cammed or supercharged, so it's not easy to hear what they would sound like. I don't remember if you were also cammed, but I know you have the LSA blower.

Varex 3" Catback for Camaro: https://www.carid.com/2010-chevy-cam...527212082.html

I will check this out, also looking at the forza. I like the NPP and would keep it if I can keep it quiet. Otherwise Borla touring.

The cam is planned for next year! I get that I am working against myself here. We probably won’t live in this apartment forever, but my Camaro may be forever.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
I think NPP is open on startup, if so, a Forza E@ controller will let you start the car with it closed. http://www.forzacomponenti.com/controller_e2.html

If that isn't quiet enough, you could get an exhaust shop to adda muffler in the x pipe https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...pipe-11386.htm

I like a quiet car, I have a Borla Touring axle back and X pipe. It wasn't bad when I had long tubes with cats, it's really quiet now with the AGP turbo kit.
Do you have a sound clip?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
The Varex XForce Catback System for our cars allows full control of the valved mufflers using your smart phone and bluetooth with their Smartbox added to their catback setup. I am not sure if the link below also includes the smart functions for bluetooth, but I know it can be added on. It also works with GPS and can have different valves positions set based on where you are located, for instance it can have the valves closed anywhere near your house or job, known police stations, etc. If you don't buy the Smartbox, the base system includes fob controllers for manual control.

Do you know if the Varex can be added to the NPP?
Old 11-19-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
Do you know if the Varex can be added to the NPP?
I do not believe so. I just figured I would show it as an option since most people have never heard of this.

Yeah, the Forza/M2W setup would probably be the cheapest and best route for you since you already have the exhaust.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #11
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
I do not believe so. I just figured I would show it as an option since most people have never heard of this.

Yeah, the Forza/M2W setup would probably be the cheapest and best route for you since you already have the exhaust.
Dang it, the Varex phone app is incredible. I looked on the Car ID link and the system can be purchased separately but would not have anything to connect to on the NPP.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
The difference between open and closed is not that great on startup with valves open vs closed. I have the Forza and its still loud when cold for about 5 seconds till its idles down. I leave early and I always close it before starting. I am sure the neighbors still hear it but it is quieter than open. Getting something that modulates the valves in between is not worth it. Maybe for a cutout but not worth it for NPP.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Man I am bummed. The answers are park outside and change nothing. I live in WI, you may have heard about our winters. I will spend each storm moving my car for the plow. I could go with the Forza and have it a bit quieter, still get complaints, but keep my NPP. Or take out the NPP go with a quiet exhaust system for $2,000. And in a year or two when we go back to a house kick myself for putting in system I would not have bought otherwise.

Talk about dilemma. I could store the NPP and swap back out when and if we move and sell the Quiet system if I could.

Selling our house and living in an apartment is stressful enough, not happy I am dealing with this. Thanks for the feedback fellas.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
I've had the Forza for 3 years and finally just hard-wired the switch and I think it's pretty great. I have cam/headers/nocats/NPP and while "closed" isn't 'church quiet', it works pretty well for knocking down the harshest parts of it. I'd think with cats and no cam, closed would be quiet enough for your situation.

There is a thread on here that shows how to wire a 3-way switch straight from in front of the rear fuze panel. $10 + hour could test how quiet you could be with it closed on start. If it works, you could route the wires to the front to go with a switch. Or, get the Forza and have a remote.
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote