Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #813
Beefsquatch

Drives: 2010 LS3 camaro
Good to hear from you again BiggFoot! Was there a specific item in the pump that went bad due to the E? Good thing you guys caught it before it leaned out bad on the big end...
Old 12-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #814
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Hi Beefsquatch! Yes every once in a while I crawl out from under my rock and make a post or two.

I may have misspoke about the new pump sizing. Fore would not give a quote on a new fuel system until they received the old set-up and tested it. Only word I received was that "the pumps showed signs of wear and were not putting out at expected capacity." I thought E-85 was a "clean" fuel but the shop also pulled my injectors and sent them out to a specialty shop for cleaning. Following the clean the injectors picked up a 15% flow increase.

I may try calling Fore today to get more details.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #815
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10 (stock)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
... Only word I received was that "the pumps showed signs of wear and were not putting out at expected capacity." I thought E-85 was a "clean" fuel but the shop also pulled my injectors and sent them out to a specialty shop for cleaning. Following the clean the injectors picked up a 15% flow increase.
My (little) understanding is that E85 does not contain the detergents/lubricants that 91/93 octane does, and therefore, it's a good thing to run a tank of octane at least once a month to keep the system "clean." Not sure how much a decent fuel filter would help. I also know some that run additives to each tankful of E to keep the system all lubed up and happy - I can't for the life of me remember which one they claim is best.

Interestingly, when I ran E85 in my LPE twin fuel setup (which, BTW, isn't E85 compatible), I had zero issues over the 4-5 years of running E), and my injectors flowed nicely (even didn't have a good fuel filter installed). I don't know how to associate that goodness running to the scenario you're speaking about.

I am very interested to hear how the Fore pumps are worn, and the root cause. Keep us posted!

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #816
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
I'd say with regular use, always fresh fuel going through things, correct filters etc, and never allowing it to sit too long or moisture to collect anywhere, it should remain "clean" for some time.

In terms of burn and emissions E is cleaner than regular gasoline. But that's a different topic. Within the fuel system, as it can absorb moisture, it is not cleaner in that respect.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #817
BiggFoot

I must admit there are times the car may sit two weeks without me firing it up so the condensation issue you guys are mentioning could be an issue. My lawn service guy swears by a product called Sea Foam that is supposed to absorb any condensation in the fuel. I might consider putting a can in the next time I fill up.

I called Fore today and actually was able to speak with the guy that bench tested my dual pump set-up. He said that they were only down about 10% on capacity and that these days new parts are hard to come by so their advice was to continue using the two pumps I already have and we are adding a third 525 LPH pump with a new controller for the triple pump system.

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 12-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #818
dreksnot

I've also been made aware that using cleaner-additives too often can do damage to your seals and o-rings. I guess the moral of the story is to use them sparingly.
My setup can sit for a day up to a month with E in the tank. I haven't not experienced problems because of that. Now, the catch-can is another issue. I very much despise the baby-poop that accumulates in the can during the cold Colorado months if using E. So, I'm running octane instead during Wintertime. I do notice much more water sputtering out the exhaust with E than octane anytime I have it in the tank (Summer, Winter). I guess that's why E is much cleaner and water is more of a byproduct.

Glad you're finally going Triple. I used to run one pump and have the other two kick on with my Hobbs at 5psi. I was getting irregular leaning issues and thought I'd run two pumps all the time with the third kicking on with the Hobbs. Took a little retuing to get fueling settled. My leaning issue was self-induced (tuner issue - me: I didn't have boost reference data in the tune for my return system). I also have the electronic option of using my Cortex boost controller to kick on my 2nd/3rd fuel pumps when boost hits a certain spec. Don't know which is better/worse - the mechanical switch or electronic circuitry to rely on.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 12-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #819
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
If it is going to sit about, it's best that the tank is left full with no air in it.

Although I'd hope totally stock OEM tanks and setups would fare better than anything that has been modified and the tank venting arrangements are not sealed up the same.
But same would apply either way, the less air in there, the less chance of absorbing any moisture from that air.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:40 AM   #820
Ashen L99

Drives: Ashen grey, 1SS, L99
Hey man it’s been a while but I caught back up and a couple of things: are you flex or on a straight E-85 tune? Have you done solid motor mounts? Question 1 is aimed at that yes E-85 , while not nearly as corrosive as E-100, is still corrosive and tends to clog/ degrade our fuel systems. If you are flex while the car sits, go throw some pump gas in it and it will help on the fuel not “Eating” your pumps alive. Injectors tend to clog if they sit, I’ve seen that a time or two. I’m actually out in the panhandle of Oklahoma letting my shop do the heads cam that I ordered back in June, and the friends that I’m staying with has a Kong 2650 CTSV with a 150,000 mile SBE LSA... on 21 pounds . Of all those miles, The car hasn’t seen “Pump gas” in the last 25,000 but he drives it 1 to 2 times a week and his pump and aux pump doesn’t ever give him grief. That’s not to say they haven’t degraded from use but his fuel pressure remains the same as it always has.

2 is aimed at, while I read you didn’t get to go to the track but once, is the belt still giving you issues? Could it be the motor flexing hard on the mounts causing slack? Or?

Again, Slick car and best wishes!
Roto-fab big gulp, Nick Williams 102mm TB, Kong X-port LSA, Ported LS3 heads, BTR stage 4 V2 pd cam, 416 CI bottom end, original block. TSP 2” long tubes, Corsa ZL-1 catback. Nitrous Outlet 102mm plate kit/100 shot JUST IN CASE. NGK BR7EF plugs with Taylor plug wires. DSX flex fuel kit, 1 Walbro 450lph, 2 525lph return style fuel system, deatchwork 1000cc injectors. B&M deep trans pan, stock 6L90 converter, ZL1 diff 3.23 ratio. GM ground effects, T-Rex upper grill, Z/28 Spoiler, Lolly pop Lime brake calipers, Forgestar F14s, 12” subwoofer, and custom paint matched interior.
Ashen L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #821
BiggFoot

Good to hear from you Ashen. The car is tuned for both 93 and E-85. The motor mounts were replaced with upgraded aftermarket parts a while back. The car put 1062 hp to the wheels when I brought it in before they did any work on it and come to find out the fuel pumps were only down about 10% from their original capacity so it looks a lot like the driver just sux at the track and the car is not at fault in the least. On a side note the F-1X put out 24 psi with the suction restrictor out and on the smallest bottom pulley.

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 01-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #822
BiggFoot

I put out a feeler in the motor section of the classifieds here in the Camaro Forum a week or so ago to see if there was any interest in my short block. Same guy that bought my Maggie when I installed the F-1X is expressing interest in the block so I am seriously considering jacking up the F-1X and sliding a built 427 LSX underneath it (really beside it), then we will see what the F-1X will really do. Decisions, decisions.

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #823
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
I put out a feeler in the motor section of the classifieds here in the Camaro Forum a week or so ago to see if there was any interest in my short block. Same guy that bought my Maggie when I installed the F-1X is expressing interest in the block so I am seriously considering jacking up the F-1X and sliding a built 427 LSX underneath it (really beside it), then we will see what the F-1X will really do. Decisions, decisions.
...and I quote “it’s only money brutha!”

Spring for the LSXR

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #824
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post

No friggin' comment!

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #825
BiggFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post

Spring for the LSXR
Confucius got nothing on you brother

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 01-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #826
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
If you were closer I'd be interested for one of my other projects, its a good price. I don't think you will have any problem selling the short block even if that guy doesn't get it.

You mind as well just decide what you want built and get it all ordered. As you said, its only money.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote