Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #15
Babobetoe

Drives: 2011 chevy camaro 2ss
I know this thread is old but deserves a bump to help others.

I have a 2011 camaro 2ss, 15,000 miles on it.

I notice when the car was off if you jiggled the wheel side to side but not hard enough to actual turn the wheel, just checking for play. there was a clicking noise. First thought was a inner tire rod. But appon inspection turn out to be a rack pinion bushing inside was making noise, an the car did steer a little stiff.

Replaced the rack, flushed and vacuum bleed the system. Rack play and click was gone, but the steering was still a little too stiff it was terrible but just enough you cant drive 1 handed at all, an the pump pully sounded a tad chirpy, not very loud, couldn’t hear from inside car an had to put your ear up close. So i went ahead an started break down to take the old pump off noticed the return line into the reservoir was seeping at one time but was old. An held recommended purge psi no problem so didn’t figure this was the issue.

How ever i got the new pump on an it held the recommended vacuum psi no problem, so no leaks right. Started up car an still no leaks but had the sound of air trapped, but was there wasnt any leaks or so i thought. So i looked it over again and decided to throw a higher vacuum psi on it, an this is when i noticed there was a leak but wasnt leaking fluid was pulling in air, an was pulling in air right at reservoir inlined from the return.

So from what i figured out is the pinch clamp GM uses right there, wasnt strong enough, clamp looked an had tension like new, added a second adjustable hose clap. Which solved my issue. I threw the old pump back on just out of curiosity and issue was gone with that pump too. I also notice my fluid would run at a cooler temperature too

So if you having constant power steering issue my guess is you got the same issue here. Wasnt any visible fluid leak.

Note: i did have issue removing air from the system completely, even with a vacuum purge and flush. The best thing that work the best to get the last little bit out was too. Turn the wheel lock to lock with both front tires off the ground with the motor off, well still under vacuum.
Babobetoe is offline   Reply With Quote