Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #29
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I agree.

Here are the issues I have had...

02 Tahoe 65k. Piston slap started
By 129k I had to replace the engine.

11 Camaro 2SS 52k. Again piston slap in cylinder 1,3,7
So bad it wore off the coating on the skirts of the pistons.
$4k to rebuild it because GM did not want to help me.

Then this 19 Camaro....

I'm done.
next time you get that "we want to sell you a car warrantee" take it and teach them a lesson. lol
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #30
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Welcome to GM. I’ve posted my story on here before. This is probably the last GM car I’ll ever own. They don’t care and still won’t.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #31
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I had purchased a new ZL1 with only about few miles on the odometer. I drove it home (about another 10miles) and then parked it. About a month later I detailed the car and realized the quarter panel was repainted. I could tell, as I could see the orbital sander swirls under the clear in that area, also the lower door was repainted. The car was black, and I could see under the fluorescent lights in my garage that the black used was a different black from the rest of the car. I contacted the dealer immediately, and took the car down. I told them I was in the industry and knew it was repainted. Sales person said it could be buffed out (really!!!!!!) you going to buff all the paint off?? Clearly did not understand.

Dealer wanted a second opinion so I took the car to where they had their bodywork/paint done, and they confirmed it was a re-paint. There were no records of damage anywhere at all. The offered to repaint it, I said I wanted another car. Said that wasn't going to happen. Long story short I parked the car, sued them, and before the trial they agreed to buy the car back.

It sucks when things like this happen.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #32
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Welcome to GM. I’ve posted my story on here before. This is probably the last GM car I’ll ever own. They don’t care and still won’t.
I don't think any of them care, hear the same kind of stuff from Ford also.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #33
MarkNJ

Drives: 2015 2SS Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I had purchased a new ZL1 with only about few miles on the odometer. I drove it home (about another 10miles) and then parked it. About a month later I detailed the car and realized the quarter panel was repainted. I could tell, as I could see the orbital sander swirls under the clear in that area, also the lower door was repainted. The car was black, and I could see under the fluorescent lights in my garage that the black used was a different black from the rest of the car. I contacted the dealer immediately, and took the car down. I told them I was in the industry and knew it was repainted. Sales person said it could be buffed out (really!!!!!!) you going to buff all the paint off?? Clearly did not understand.

Dealer wanted a second opinion so I took the car to where they had their bodywork/paint done, and they confirmed it was a re-paint. There were no records of damage anywhere at all. The offered to repaint it, I said I wanted another car. Said that wasn't going to happen. Long story short I parked the car, sued them, and before the trial they agreed to buy the car back.

It sucks when things like this happen.
Wow, glad you got a refund. What did you replace it with?
Old 06-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #34
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNJ View Post
I don't think any of them care, hear the same kind of stuff from Ford also.
From US companies absolutely. Ford denied all kinds of GT350 warranty claims. Best dealership experiences I’ve had are always from German & Japanese brands. By a LONG shot.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #35
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I agree.

Here are the issues I have had...

02 Tahoe 65k. Piston slap started
By 129k I had to replace the engine.

11 Camaro 2SS 52k. Again piston slap in cylinder 1,3,7
So bad it wore off the coating on the skirts of the pistons.
$4k to rebuild it because GM did not want to help me.

Then this 19 Camaro....

I'm done.
The reason this happens is they no longer match the piston sizes to the bores(since 2000 or so). They just put them in using some half baked high-low tolerance calculation. So some are too tight and some are too loose BUT the engines last long enough to get out of warranty and that's all that counts. Its the reason why I won't buy another 8cylinder gm product. I got burned on everyone I bought! Add the rings on the rear cylinders being sized wrong so the piston top chunks off and wow what a mess. All over sizing a few parts properly.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote