Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Finally fixed my blend door

I know. I know. Another blend door thread. There are some amazing write ups on here, but I thought I’d add my .02¢.

First things first. Remove the driver seat. It’s easy enough. (2) T-50 torx bolts, unhook the seat, remove connector. You can now put your back on the floor board and put your feet up on the back seat.

After that, fight the air duct. Simple to take loose, but takes a bit of tugging to take out. Release the body control module, remove connectors to both the BCM and actuator and tuck them out of the way.

Draw a line for your cut and use a hot knife to poke a hole at the bottom of the cut first. Remember the exacto blade is hottest at the base and not the tip so you will move quicker inserting most of the blade in. Be mindful around the heater core portion of the cut.

Once you get the piece cut, there’s going to be 2 channels at the top of the piece you’re removing. Cut the inner channel off. Cleanup the edges of both the piece you cut and the case.

Remove the broken blend door and slide the new one in. Use video on your phone if you’re having problems finding the hole on the other side of the case. I just held my phone up in the hole I cut while maneuvering the blend door.

Once it’s in, remove the white key from the actuator and insert it into the blend door. Slide the piece you cut over it and snap it into place. Make sure you keep some kind of pressure toward the passenger side so it doesn’t come out.

Verify it moves freely.

Grab the actuator, and slightly grab the side of the white key and turn the actuator so it locks into place while lining up the screw holes at the same time.

I used gorilla tape to seal and it’s held very well. Some use black silicone.

Reinstall your bcm then the air duct.

Test before you reinstall seat. Yes the airbag light will be on.

Reinstall seat and you’re done. Here is a pic of the knife I used from Amazon.

Name:  B3A6AF92-3D79-4A1F-AADB-4339AF8008A9.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  34.9 KB

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Interesting, never heard of a hot knife before.
Good job!
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Interesting, never heard of a hot knife before.
Good job!
I’m glad someone made this

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
just had the evaporator replaced and unplugged the blend door solenoid on cold side.i hope i never have to tackle this,but it seems like you have the right way to do it...
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
I'm not able to visualize most of those instructions in my head (the seat notwithstanding). If/when the time comes, I was going to shoot the numerous YouTube videos to my mechanic and let him handle it. I'll pass on your thread info in case he needs some additional instructions.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
redcoats1976

if it happens i will try to do it at home,think the hot knife is a good idea.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Can I bring mine to you when it goes?
Old 08-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
redcoats1976

i notice you didnt say"if".this could be a new career for you,pluto...
Old 08-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I'm not able to visualize most of those instructions in my head (the seat notwithstanding). If/when the time comes, I was going to shoot the numerous YouTube videos to my mechanic and let him handle it. I'll pass on your thread info in case he needs some additional instructions.
YouTube videos help. They do leave details out though like cutting the inner channel off to make fitting the door easier.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i notice you didnt say"if".this could be a new career for you,pluto...
Been there done that in the field. I wouldn’t have taken this shortcut had I still been working at the dealership. Since it’s only got 35,000 miles on it and has been broken since about 29,000 I asked myself what if it happens again? I don’t want to have to pull my windshield twice. So I opted for this fix.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Can I bring mine to you when it goes?
Sure why not lol. It’s not that bad. The cut is the hardest part.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
Pluto

Quote:
just had the evaporator replaced and unplugged the blend door solenoid on cold side.i hope i never have to tackle this,but it seems like you have the right way to do it...
Man if I had the case out to do the evaporator I would have made a super clean cut to make this job easier in the future.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
redcoats1976

i had the dealer do it.no way is my old arthritic butt going to pull the windshield and dash in my hundred degree garage...but if it winds up happening im going to buy the hot knife and fix the blend door at home.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #14
Pluto

Quote:
i had the dealer do it.no way is my old arthritic butt going to pull the windshield and dash in my hundred degree garage...but if it winds up happening im going to buy the hot knife and fix the blend door at home.
One way to prevent it (so I hear) is to not turn the temperature knob all the way left or right. Leave it one click off on each side.