Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
gilbert85295

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT
Battery Charging Question

I hope this isn't a silly question for you all. I don't know a lot about cars and am learning as I go along. I have a 2014 RS LT2. The original battery finally died. Called AAA and they came out and replaced the battery (keep in mind I don't drive the car a lot). I was driving the car some but not a lot, maybe 10 miles a week, driving it off and on with the new battery. 2 months after getting the new battery I went out to the car and the battery was completely dead. Call AAA again. They come and say the charging system is good and again replace the battery. They recommend I put the car on a trickle charger / battery tender since I don't drive the car a lot. I purchased a DieHard Charger / Tender. I charge the battery up to 100% and take the car for a short drive and when I came back put the battery back on the charger and it shows the battery is at 85%. Seems odd since I thought it would charge while I was driving it. I turned off the charger. Two weeks later I go out to the car and turn the charger on and the battery is still at 85%. Take the car for approx 30 mile drive. When I got home I put the charger back on the battery and it now shows the battery is at 57%. What could be draining the battery while I drive? The car is 100% stock. Nothing electrical added or changed at all. I took the car to Chevy and they save the charging system is fine and can't find any issue. Could it be the battery itself? Thanks for the help and sorry for the long question.
gilbert85295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Check the voltage reading at the DIC. On first start, for the first 30 seconds,
it should stay at around 14.4, but will be higher if the battery is low, to 15.1 or
more volts, but not higher than 15.4.

I put in a separate LED volt meter so I can monitor it, it varies so much..

It's obvious it's not charging the battery while driving. The voltage could be there,
but the current is too low. Most of the time, it's the alternator.

These cars supposedly come with AGM batteries from the factory. If you look on
Rock Auto, that's all they list as replacements. I do not have an AGM, and it works
fine though.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote