Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2021, 11:20 PM   #1
Gabrield

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS manual swap
Steering rack

Hi, does anyone know if the hydraulic steering rack from the first 5th gen Camaros can be a direct replacement for the newer electric steering racks?
Gabrield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
jprodun1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I remember seeing a thread the other way around, i.e. someone asking whether hydraulic could be swapped for electric.

I’ll try to search for it and edit my post later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jprodun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I looked into replacing my pump driven rack with an electric one since I came into an electric one. There was little to no information at that time. What made it complicated was how to control the steering feel without changing the harness and computer.

IIRC there were a couple threads on replacing the electric unit with the pump driven one and at least one person accomplished it.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 12-31-2021 at 06:35 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrield View Post
Hi, does anyone know if the hydraulic steering rack from the first 5th gen Camaros can be a direct replacement for the newer electric steering racks?
I think it can however, the power steering control module is on the high speed communication network. In order for the car to run you would have to jump the communication lines at the module connector so there isn't a break in the line. Also, your going to have a bunch of communication codes set because every high speed module is going to report no communication with PSCM and the check engine light will be on.

I don't understand what the benefit would be going back to hydraulic. With electric there's no hp loss, fewer parts, and better still no leaks!
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I don't understand what the benefit would be going back to hydraulic. With electric there's no hp loss, fewer parts, and better still no leaks!
I haven't driven a newer Camaro with electric steering, but most cars have better steering feel/feedback with hydraulic. I've heard that a few manufactures have been approaching the feel of hydraulic with electric in the last couple of years.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #6
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I haven't driven a newer Camaro with electric steering, but most cars have better steering feel/feedback with hydraulic. I've heard that a few manufactures have been approaching the feel of hydraulic with electric in the last couple of years.
I'm thinking it's the other way around...
Think about this, a power steering pump has a pressure regulator valve to keep the pressure consistent regardless of engine speed and vehicle speed for that matter. So the assist is always the same.

A electronic system can adjust assist based on a multitude of factors such as speed, braking, yaw rate, steering wheel input...etc. Parking lot maneuvers more assist- highway driving less assist basically. But working in conjunction with stabilitrac, it does a lot more.

If you ever get the opportunity to drive a later model Corvette, switch driving modes and notice the difference in steering feel in each mode. Touring feels like a 74 Caprice, while track mode feels like a 78 Z-28
Old 12-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #7
gtstorey

Don't mistake steering effort for "feel".

I admit my experience with electric power steering is limited and mostly the earlier stuff, but most of what I read/hear is that from the standpoint of feeling the interaction between the front tires and the road, manual steering is first, hydraulic is second and electric is third. My experience matches this. Of course a good electric can feel better than a bad hydraulic.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...er-160363.html

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ich-is-better/
Old 12-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
NOT A 45

Quote:
Don't mistake steering effort for "feel".

I admit my experience with electric power steering is limited and mostly the earlier stuff, but most of what I read/hear is that from the standpoint of feeling the interaction between the front tires and the road, manual steering is first, hydraulic is second and electric is third. My experience matches this. Of course a good electric can feel better than a bad hydraulic.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...er-160363.html

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ich-is-better/
Hey, I agree with you. For a track car or something you'll be pushing to the limits, hydraulic is probably the better choice. But for the 99.9% of us that never leave the street, electric is my choice. I love the white concrete floor in my garage and most hydraulic systems eventually leak.

Wont be too much longer and we wont be touching the steering wheel anyway.....lol I drove a Escalade a while back and set the cruise to 70.....I didn't touch the wheel or the brake for 5 miles!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I thought the electric racks still had fluid, just the pump changes from engine driven to electric.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
gtstorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I thought the electric racks still had fluid, just the pump changes from engine driven to electric.
I don't think that is the normal case. The ones I have dealt with have what appears to be a heavy gear box with electric motor between the steering wheel and rack.

It appears the Camaro has the electric motor bolted directly to the rack.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7388&jsn=1006
Old 12-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
NOT A 45

Quote:
I don't think that is the normal case. The ones I have dealt with have what appears to be a heavy gear box with electric motor between the steering wheel and rack.

It appears the Camaro has the electric motor bolted directly to the rack.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7388&jsn=1006
None of ours (GM) use fluid. Cobalts, HHR's, and pre 16 Malibu's used a electric motor on the steering column and a manual R&P. Everything else uses a rack with a integral motor and module.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I just inspected a Infinity QX60 and it had a electric power steering pump and hydraulic r&p. First one I've ever seen like that.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #13
Gabrield

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS manual swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I think it can however, the power steering control module is on the high speed communication network. In order for the car to run you would have to jump the communication lines at the module connector so there isn't a break in the line. Also, your going to have a bunch of communication codes set because every high speed module is going to report no communication with PSCM and the check engine light will be on.

I pretty much rebuilt a 14’ camaro ss that was a theft recovery and I haven’t been able to get my electric steering to work, I have code C0545, I took to a dealer so they could check it out , they had it for a month and didn’t touch it . My guess it’s something that has to be programmed or relearned , already put a new engine harness, swapped the motor on the rack and no luck . Everything else works . So I just thought maybe by going back to hydraulic and adding the hydraulic pump would end my steering problems
Gabrield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #14
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrield View Post
I pretty much rebuilt a 14’ camaro ss that was a theft recovery and I haven’t been able to get my electric steering to work, I have code C0545, I took to a dealer so they could check it out , they had it for a month and didn’t touch it . My guess it’s something that has to be programmed or relearned , already put a new engine harness, swapped the motor on the rack and no luck . Everything else works . So I just thought maybe by going back to hydraulic and adding the hydraulic pump would end my steering problems
So it’s not a communication issue if everything else is working. I’m currently out of the shop with Covid, but when I return Monday I will research the code and tell you what to look for. My opinion is your opening a Pandora’s box of other problems if you eliminate the pscm. I’m sure it will be much simpler to fix what’s setting the code.