Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #15
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_1LE View Post
Hey y'all. I'm fairly new to Camaro's, and new to LS and LT engines as a whole as well. I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on how reliable the LT1 and how much power they can make. I am really dying to do some bolt-ons, but with the fear of losing my warranty (at least for now), its hard to do it with clear conscience. I plan to eventually throw an MSD Atomic AirForce intake and NW 103mm TB on it, along with flex fuel. Any ideas as to how much power this might make, and would the car still be reliable at the power. I know its a pretty vague question but chances are you guys know a lot more than I do. I currently have the AWE cat back and GM CAI, so my warranty could always be gone. My dealer claims the cat back won't affect my warranty but who knows...
Well the simple bolt-ons I have can give you a range idea for HP/Torque.

Only thing I don't have yet is an upgraded Intake Manifold and TB.

My upgrades ran me about $3500 including install, tune and dyno session. I think my shop was upset at me, because the mods I have competed directly with their SP525 package as the estimated crank power on my car is 540hp and their SP525 package costs $5500. And I got the same power output for $2000 less.

However, regarding Atomic Airforce + 103mm TB with the same mods I have seen some Camaro LT1's pulling the same 1/4 mile times as the 700 hp chargers on drags if they are also on drags.

Obviously results vary from car to car, pro shop to pro shop even driver to driver. But it gives you a general idea of power output range.

Most of these cars stock baseline around 390-410 horsepower to the wheels, with a few outliers.

That said regarding warranty: If that is a concern of yours then don't mod the car. I lost my bumper-bumper warranty at 36k miles only reason I did my mods. And I figure once the decision was made I take the good with the bad for better or for worse. So far no complaints and no issues yet after 10,000 miles with the mods.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639

Last edited by FlukeSS; 03-28-2022 at 09:52 PM.
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Those dealers are few and far between for sure… at least in my neck of the woods. Sounds like you found a good one.
Absolutely true. Very few and very far between.

I asked a dealership to install a supercharger on my SS when I bought it and I would pay the supercharger cost difference. They told me no.

I was going to give them $8000 more above and beyond the sale price agreed upon for them to install it, and they still said no.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:26 PM   #17
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
How much torque or horsepower is too much or little? Only a specific owner and circumstance can produce the answer.

In my experience with a recently acquired Gen 6 LT1, the stock engine is the most powerful I've owned. I don't need anything more than stock to drive to the grocery store, work, a neighboring town, or state.

I will never drive it on any type of race track, nor will I race anyone on the street.

My goal is to avoid accidents, with a proactive, defensive driving mentality of being a longtime motorcyclist.

I am constantly anticipating the presence of bicyclists on hilly, limited-sight-distance roads, being prepared to slow quickly if needed. Bicyclists are everywhere in my area, as individuals or 50-person pacelines.

My current insurance rate is very good, which I hope to preserve by avoiding tickets and accidents.

I also enjoy the game of trying to max mileage in congested areas where 50 hp is all that's needed to "go with the flow" of traffic.

I think of my LT1 as a fun touring car, loving the sound of the stock dual exhaust, use of the 6-speed manual, and impressive overall handling, from a public street and safety mindset.

The hp and torque are advantageous on highway entrance merges, or while passing RVs going up hills or mountain inclines. I definitely appreciate having enough power (and more) to safely pass in these situations.

This answer is probably an unpopular, atypical one for this forum. But it's my experience to value and enjoy the stock LT1 exactly as special ordered as a factory build: 2022 LT1, no options except Redline and RS packages, and locking lug nuts.

Thank you for this post that made me realize my 2SS vert is all I need!
I’ve been pining for a ZL1 for awhile, but this post made me think about how I don’t need to make a $40k upgrade for 200 more HP that I’ll never use on the street. I think I’ll spend $1,500 on some skirts and a splitter and be happy with the aesthetic upgrade for a car I drive only in the summer!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:20 AM   #18
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaRow View Post
Actually now a days dealers are desperate for money. I have had dealers install mods. And in writing if they put the mod on they will honor the warranty. My local ford dealer put a supercharger on my GT and fully warrantied it and said they would do any factory warranty work since they put the supercharger on. That even if ford denied the claim they would still honor it.

Was it a roushe SC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:24 AM   #19
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Thank you for this post that made me realize my 2SS vert is all I need!
I’ve been pining for a ZL1 for awhile, but this post made me think about how I don’t need to make a $40k upgrade for 200 more HP that I’ll never use on the street. I think I’ll spend $1,500 on some skirts and a splitter and be happy with the aesthetic upgrade for a car I drive only in the summer!

Pro charge it. Likely 10k if you get installed and you’ll get 600hp to the wheels…..

I came from a 450hp mustang GT to this and it scared me for 1st couple weeks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:38 AM   #20
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_1LE View Post
Hey y'all. I'm fairly new to Camaro's, and new to LS and LT engines as a whole as well. I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on how reliable the LT1 and how much power they can make. I am really dying to do some bolt-ons, but with the fear of losing my warranty (at least for now), its hard to do it with clear conscience. I plan to eventually throw an MSD Atomic AirForce intake and NW 103mm TB on it, along with flex fuel. Any ideas as to how much power this might make, and would the car still be reliable at the power. I know its a pretty vague question but chances are you guys know a lot more than I do. I currently have the AWE cat back and GM CAI, so my warranty could always be gone. My dealer claims the cat back won't affect my warranty but who knows...
The mild bolt-ons that you listed should not be a problem as far as the reliability of the engine IMO. Obviously not talking GM warranty here, just about the engine itself. The MSD manifold, 103 t/b, and flex fuel tune could easily gain another 40~50 hp over what you have now. I have had an MSD, 95 t/b, Rotofab CAI, and flex fuel on my SS for years now. Performance is pretty good for mild mods, and I have gone as quick as 10.8 in the 1/4 mile with a drag pack.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #21
TorontoLT1

Drives: 2020 LT1 Camaro
"..a true hotrodder would not be content until he had created a car so violent, so totally sick, that the act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster. " Tony DeFeo
TorontoLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:30 AM   #22
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Since mine spins the tires to at least 120 mph, perhaps I've reached the "too much" point
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #23
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Since mine spins the tires to at least 120 mph, perhaps I've reached the "too much" point
That's exactly what I was talking about. Four-digit crank horsepower in a RWD configuration is unusable on the street, your extra horsies are simply used to paint a black stripe on the pavement. If you slap on some crazy tires to somehow put them down still, you have to live with noise, no tread life, no driving in the wet, no driving in the cold etc. Tradeoffs galore.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #24
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That's exactly what I was talking about. Four-digit crank horsepower in a RWD configuration is unusable on the street, your extra horsies are simply used to paint a black stripe on the pavement. If you slap on some crazy tires to somehow put them down still, you have to live with noise, no tread life, no driving in the wet, no driving in the cold etc. Tradeoffs galore.
I agree with arpad here about the tradeoffs. I'm pretty high hp, ~1600 crank, but I'm on slicks and front runners and I don't drive in the rain or on wet roads in this car. So I can put the power down and have fun on each and every drive. Plus, we have legal street events here chaperoned by the sherriff's dept. where we can be speed demons and it's a-okay. I didn't drive in rain or on wet roads when it was stock either though, (I use a Trackhawk for daily driving), so I didn't really have to make any tradeoffs other than tire life. So, it's no big deal to me at all.

So, it's just personal preference and how much $ you're willing to spend (it can be a very expensive hobby). I love my car, have 0 regrets and wouldn't change a thing power wise. Think it through, choose wisely and enjoy!
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:24 PM   #25
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
I'm on slicks
Which rear tires are you running on the street?
Old 03-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #26
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Which rear tires are you running on the street?
MT 3055S's. Usually at 12 lbs
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:03 PM   #27
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
...when it becomes no more fun.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #28
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
MT 3055S's. Usually at 12 lbs
That's a drag slick and not DOT approved!

I'm envious, but do you really drive it on the street? You know, out for a cruise type driving?