Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
JoeinSWFL

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Thinking about trading my 6th gen Z in for a 5th gen Z

Some people called me crazy for thinking about this but I presently have a 6th Gen ZL1 vert with 23K on her. The payment is a bit steep and I have been thinking about getting a 2014 ZL1 vert.
I found one on Vroom with under 10K for 44K. Vroom wants to give me 55K trade in allowance and I owe 36K on my 2018. I'm looking for a lower payment which the 2014 will give me. I posted this question on a 6th gen forum and everyone thought I was crazy for downgrading to a 5th gen after having a 6th gen Z. I do realize I would be going to a somewhat slower and heavier vehicle.
Kinda pisses me off that the 6th gen group pisses all over the 5th gen Z's.

My question is should I go for it? I do love the styling of the 5th Gen Z's.

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/chev...5E9802320?b=gp
JoeinSWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinSWFL View Post
Some people called me crazy for thinking about this but I presently have a 6th Gen ZL1 vert with 23K on her. The payment is a bit steep and I have been thinking about getting a 2014 ZL1 vert.
I found one on Vroom with under 10K for 44K. Vroom wants to give me 55K trade in allowance and I owe 36K on my 2018. I'm looking for a lower payment which the 2014 will give me. I posted this question on a 6th gen forum and everyone thought I was crazy for downgrading to a 5th gen after having a 6th gen Z. I do realize I would be going to a somewhat slower and heavier vehicle.
Kinda pisses me off that the 6th gen group pisses all over the 5th gen Z's.

My question is should I go for it? I do love the styling of the 5th Gen Z's.

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/chev...5E9802320?b=gp
I have to make a few assumptions with the info given. Short answer
d. none of the above.
I assume this is a driver car because you are making payments on a 4 year old car. You aren't looking for a garage queen.
- I normally wouldn't recommend going 4 years older on a car that is a driver you depend on and don't have lots of extra cash to replace shocks etc
- You would still be making payments. Banks don't like to loan if at all, on such a model year old car. How many years they stretch the payments are shorter too, so I assume payments wouldn't drop that much, could be higher even if e.g. only 24mo term.
- I got off the treadmill of car payments long ago. I am happier not changing cars every year and making perpetual payments. Get it paid off then keep it a long time. You get to save the mo payments for other things or the next car. My cars are 2017 and older, I was looking yesterday at getting a newer used car but prices are too high. New cars about 45-50k out the door for the daily family car I was looking at and not wanting to drop that kind of cash.

e. Keep the car and pay it off. Or, You don't feel the car is worth the sacrifice the payments put on you. Don't be afraid to be out of a fast car until you want to do that again someday, if ever.

f. Let vroom have it for 55k and buy a new corolla or something with the money you get after repaying the loan and adding in 5k or 10k for the 2022 you get, pay it off in 36mo or less. I'd start by seeing what kind of deal I'd get out the door trading it in at your preferred brand dealership.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Very good advice from Silver, nothing I can add to that. From a performance, styling standpoint if you've always wanted a 5th Gen ZL1 maybe it's time to "scratch that itch". Sure, it doesn't have the performance of the 6th Gen but it's a convertible, more of a performance cruiser. Of course the 6 guys are gonna give you crap, they're loyal to what they own (as they should be). I definitely think the 5 looks better than the 6. If it's going to be your garage queen hobby car I say go for it. If it's just for financial adjustment then follow Silvers advice.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
I do agree with all the above for your reasoning, however in my opinion the 5th Gen ZL1 looks way better than the 6th Gen ZL1 and it just takes a little money (few thousands) to surpass the 6th Gen ZL in performance as well, Also I believe without a doubt that the 5th Gen ZL1 will bring more money years down the road just on the fact of less being manufactured than the 6th Gen not to mention appearance.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
JoeinSWFL

Silver thanks for the excellent post, you are right. If I get it, it will be a garage queen which I will take out a few times a week. Also how long does these magnaride shocks last? I heard they are expensive when it is time to replace them.

Dega Man, the more I look at the 5th Gens the more I like them. I sat in one before I bought my 2018 and was way more comfortable. I also believe they will be more sought after because they have been only made for a few years versus the 6th Gen is made from 2017 to 2023. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
My '13 mags are still as new. It depends on the road, and how driven mostly.

As far as looks, I agree. I have a 5th gen and love it...I do not like the looks of the 6th gen. Performance? I added 300 hp for about 20k. Try doing that with a 6th gen. But I'm skewed: I've had my '68 SS for 30 years.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its nice to hear, but if the car is behaving properly I'd just keep what I have.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Its nice to hear, but if the car is behaving properly I'd just keep what I have.
What's nice to hear?

The op asked how long mags last. I answered with my experience.

The op stated he didn't like the 6th gen looks...liked the 5th gen looks better. I responded in kind.

The op did NOT ask what you would do if in his position. Silence is golden if one has nothing to offer.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
What's nice to hear?

The op asked how long mags last. I answered with my experience.

The op stated he didn't like the 6th gen looks...liked the 5th gen looks better. I responded in kind.

The op did NOT ask what you would do if in his position. Silence is golden if one has nothing to offer.
I wasn't talking about you or your post. My response was solely to the OP. Its my opinion and I stand by it. Your last sentence does not make any sense. Refrain from commenting if you do not have any tangible points to discuss.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I wasn't talking about you or your post. My response was solely to the OP. Its my opinion and I stand by it. Your last sentence does not make any sense. Refrain from commenting if you do not have any tangible points to discuss.
Hah. Then stand by your post.

You have NOT responded to the OP's question about Mags.

You have NOT commented about the OP's post about 6th vs 5th Gen looks.

You have simply stated your offhanded comment/opinion, which, in an above room temperature IQ'd person can be useful...here, it is not.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
lbls1

At least I've gained another member to my ignore list. Done.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:24 PM   #12
JoeinSWFL

I'm still kinda looking for a 5th gen Z to replace my 2018 Z. I found a 2014 Z convertible with 860 miles in Indiana and the other one is in Tampa Fl. The one in Tampa has almost 20K miles on it and looks beautiful. My question is would you guys buy a vehicle with very low miles like this 2014 has?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

https://www.jaguaroftampa.com/used/C...2dcc15c0ed.htm
Old 05-05-2022, 04:40 PM   #13
JB'sZL1

My only concern was that it was well maintained, or properly stored for the bulk of those nine years when not in use.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #14
JoeinSWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
My only concern was that it was well maintained, or properly stored for the bulk of those nine years when not in use.
True thats what I'm thinking also.