Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
pinballmaster

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Run flac files off hard drive?

I have a 2017 Camaro. Is there a way to run a large collection of music/flac files off a portable hard drive through the USB port?

I've tried before and it didn't find the hard drive. Maybe it wasn't formatted in the right format? It's a 5TB drive. Is there a size limit?

I've read it can run MP3's off a flash drive stick, but that would only hold a fraction of my collection. I also don't have an easy way to convert it all.

I'd prefer to just have a CD player, but I guess that's not an option?

Any information would be appreciated.
pinballmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:03 AM   #2
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
It is not possible with the factory 2017 MyLink specifications as follows.

USB MP3 Player and USB Drives
. The USB MP3 players and USB drives connected must comply with the USB Mass Storage Class specification (USB MSC).
. Hard disk drives are not supported.
. The following restrictions apply for the data stored on a USB

MP3 player or USB device:
‐ Maximum folder structure depth: 11 levels.
‐ Applicable audio extensions are mp3, wma, aac, m4a, and aif.
‐ WMA and Apple lossless files are not supported.
‐ Supported file systems are FAT32 and NTFS.

An average after-market system that can support FLAC, will likely also have system limitations in indexing such a large library.

This is the reason that I have an Android head unit with Plex Player, Wi-Fi connected to a Windows PC and Plex Server with 1TB of FLAC, TOSLINK to Alpine DSP (no DACs in the signal chain), although this architecture does introduce a lot more design challenge and cost.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
You could also get a FIX 86 which converts your signal to 24 bit. I play ALAC from my phone through the USB and sounds great. I know this doesn’t answer your external hard drive question. But for sound quality it allow you to keep the factory head unit. Otherwise I agree with the previous post. Sony’s new head unit plays FLAC and ALAC, not sure about from a hard drive.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote